Salerno and LDS films- a 'dead zone'?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Salerno and LDS films- a 'dead zone'?

Post by aliza24 »

Ciao Tutti!

Does anyone know why so few places in the province of Salerno are on LDS microfilms?

Compared to other provinces this looks like a dead zone. Are the records just not there? Did they not let them film? Did they just not get to this area yet?

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!
Aliza
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Salerno and LDS films- a 'dead zone'?

Post by misbris »

My family is from Salerno also. I don't know the reason why but very few towns in the provinces of Salerno and Napoli have been filmed. The records are there and you can access them by writing to the comune. However the dates as to when record keeping began are different. I my town Contursi Terme the records only go back to 1869.

I too would like to know why these provinces were never microfilmed.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

about 5 years ago I have talked about this to the guy in charge of the FHL in Trento, Italy, and he told me that sometimes mormon have not authorization from the manager of archive, to make pictures and microfilms of every single record of that archive.
This is what happened for the church records of several parish in the Diocesis of Trapani, at the beginning authorization was granted, and right after mormon started to picture records, it was denied by the bishop.
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

Thank you both for your replies. This has really got me curious.

I know that many places don't like to allow church record filming because of the differences in religious practice. I've heard from the LDS church that it's up to the local diocese to make that call.

But rarely do you see such a big area with there is so little filming of the CIVIL records. It reminds me of those cell phone commercials that talk about 'dead zones'. :)
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

My ancestors are from Sant'Arsenio. I have the LDS films on loan and they only go back to 1866. Luckily I was able to find my great great grandparents marriage record, but it would be nice to go back further.
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

Well I noticed that there were lots of cities (not tiny hamlets, mind you, but actual cities) in Salerno prov. that were not on film. I'm curious what the deal is.

I don't get many requests from this area so I was surprised to find that out.

With a few exceptions, Southern Italy is usually pretty good.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I strongly suggest you write directly to the town's anagrafe office, if there are no microfilmed records for your town prior to 1866. I did this with one of my Sicilian towns which had no microfilmed records prior to 1866, and the town official there had information in his registers back to 1820, when the civil records started in Sicily. I also read on another message board that someone did this with the town of Sassano, in Salerno Province, and that the town's anagrafe office there did have records from 1809 to present, despite the fact that the microfilmed records there only started in 1866.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I also found the following previously posted by Laura (Pink67) on this forum.

The State Archive of Salerno keeps the civil registration from 1809 to 1865 of all the Comuni of the Salerno Province.

http://www.archiviodistatosalerno.benic ... afiche.htm
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

Maestra36: Thanks for the link. No films at all were turning up for this town so I was starting to wonder if they were there. Wonder why they haven't been filmed?

I'll send off a letter.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Thank you for that link. I had just assumed that since the comune did not have the civil records, they did not exist. I will try this site also.