comozzi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
catarina

comozzi

Post by catarina »

I am searching for information on my great grandfather, Fermo Comozzi. He was born abt. 1866 in Italy and his father's name was Lorenzo, a farmer. At some point he immigrated to London where he married in 1890. On the 1891 uk census place of birth is "N. Italy, N.B.?.". Can anyone help me? Thank you. Catarina
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: comozzi

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The name Comozzi does not seem to exist at all in modern Italy, however there are several hundred Camozzi's (with an "a") in the Lombardia region as evidenced by this mapping tool http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/gen ... &t=cognomi and the Italian telephone directory http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... btt=1&om=0
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Hello Carmine, Catarina

Camozzi would be a better spelling, as you said. Alot of people with the Camozzi name were from Bogno, Sitzerland. Right on the border with Italy.
N.B. might stand for 'near border'? and it is North Italy!

If a cert. has not yet been ordered, i would suggest ordering one to get Fermo's Birth and search the LDS records for Bogno.

Fermo's marriage details:

Fermo Comozzi
Emily Mary Yates
June Quater, 1890
Camberwell, Greater London
Volume: 1d
Page: 1423

Good Luck!
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Jamie, I thought you might have some ideas on this one. Thanks for chiming in! :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Michael31
Master
Master

Post by Michael31 »

www.pilot.familysearch.org

Marriage Date: 04 Jan 1923
Marriage Place: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Groom's Name: Raymond William Macdonald
Groom's Age: 31
Groom's Birth Date: 1892
Groom's Birthplace: Georgetown, Prince Edward Island
Groom's Marital Status: Bachelor
Groom's Residence:
Groom's Father's Name: Joseph Ronald Macdonald
Groom's Mother's Name: Florence Blanche Murphy
Bride's Name: Maude Comozzi
Bride's Age: 29
Bride's Birth Date: 1894
Bride's Birthplace: London, England
Bride's Marital Status: Spinster
Bride's Residence:
Bride's Father's Name: Fermo Comozzi
Bride's Mother's Name: Emily Mary Yates
Film Number: 2074227
Digital Folder Number: 4400875
Image Number: 1549
BC Archives Film Number: B13745
Registration Number: 1552
Banns or License: License
Collection: British Columbia Marriage Registrations, 1859-1932

Death Date: 16 May 1957
Death Place: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Name: Emily Cole Goodie
Birth Date: 12 Jun 1891
Birthplace: London, England
Marital Status: Divorced
Spouse: Edward Goodie
Father: Fermo Commozi
Mother: Emily Yates
Indian Agency:
Indian Band/Tribe:
Film Number: 2033148
Digital Folder Number: 4437627
Image Number: 2603
British Columbia Archives Film Number: B13232
Registration Number: 57 09 006570
Collection: British Columbia Death Registrations, 1872-1986
catarina

Post by catarina »

Thank you Carmine, Jamie and Michael for taking the time to respond to my plea. I started my search a few months ago on ancestry.com, searching for any information about my grandmother, who was given up for adoption in B.C., Canada. I was shocked to uncover as much as I did, family history and events, including sisters we never knew about, some living within an hour of her final residence, here in B.C. Sadly she passed away and will never know all that we now know but I am determined to find out more about her father Fermo Comozzi. I have his marriage certificate and death certificate in the U.K. and a copy of the 1891 census of Portsmouth where he lived. On his marriage certificate his father is recorded as "Lorenzo", occupation farmer. I have looked through other people's family trees on ancestry trying to find either one of them listed as a sibling or other, with no luck and have looked through countless como, lombardy civil records, all with no success. I am at a dead end. Is there some search tool I may have overlooked that might tell me where exactly he or his father were born and lived in Italy or possibly Switzerland? Thank you again for helping me with my search. Sincerely, Catarina
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Was Fermo born in 1865?
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Sorry 1864!

If so, he died in St Giles, London! In 1911, wife and children were in Farnham, Portsmouth!

I have looked at the family search site and unfortunatlely the lds records for Bogno, only go back to 1877.
What you could do is order the Church registers for 1877-1899 (no. 1750968) and see what Church was used for all or most of the Camozzi Families. Then write a letter to the Priest of that Church to ask a search on Fermo Camozzi, born 1864 (if that is his birth?). If he finds a Fermo in that year, it could be a pretty good guess its him?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

the surname spelling I believe is Camozzi and not Comozzi... because Comozzi not exist in Italy; and by 1891 census Fermo declared that he was born in Italy, and he was naturalized british subject ( N. B. S.)
1891 England Census
about Ferms Canezzi Name: Ferms Canezzi
Estimated birth year: abt 1865
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Emily Canezzi
Where born: N, Italy

Civil parish: Portsea
Ecclesiastical parish: Holy Trinity
Town: Portsea
County/Island: Hampshire

Registration district: Portsea Island
Sub-registration district: Portsea Town
ED, institution, or vessel: 9
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Ferms Canezzi 26
Emily Canezzi 19

I know not if it are some naturalization database of UK, but I believe that by naturalization document you can know the italian birthplace...
all the best,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

http://ukrecordshub.com/index.php

I have never tried it, so i dont know if its good or not, sorry?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

:| need to pay
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
catarina

Post by catarina »

Thanks again everyone. You're good! Going by the birthdate on the documents I do have and age of 26 on 1890 marriage certificate, I think his birth year was 1864, plus or minus one year. Thankfully Fermo is not a common name and so I will know when I find him. His wife and youngest child were in a workhouse in Farnham in 1911. The other young children were in an orphanage in Portsea, but I cannot find him in 1911. I only have found him on the 1891 Portsea census. I have no trace of him, only his family, until I found his death in St. Giles. I am like a dog with a bone to find out more about him and his whereabouts between 1891 and his death, as my grandma grew up believing her father had died long before he actually did, and that is why they left without him to go to Canada. Clearly that was not the case. I have looked at a lot of original documents for Camozzi, Comazzi and Comozzi on the ancestry and there is definitely a grey area with the "a" and "o" in most of them when you look at the handwriting. Oddly enough there is a person listed in the Italian white pages with her last name shown as "Co'Camozzi". I am so glad to find out what the NBS stands for; I thought it was an abbreviation for Northern Brescia or something like that, which was throwing me off track. I also see that on many US censuses some people born in Switzerland refer to themselves as Northern Italian so that makes the search more complicated too. It seems like most of the Camozzis are in Bogno, Ticino, Switzerland and Bergamo, Lombardy, Italy but that is still a lot of ground to cover and a lot of priests! Looks like a big job ahead. Thanks again, Catarina
catarina

Post by catarina »

Hi all. About the UKrecords hub...I paid to join it for the naturalization records for the uk and there is no access to them. They have free BMD records and other easy access records, but for the naturalization, its not worth it. When I did the initial search they said they had a record, then I paid and searched and they said they had 0 records. In fact they didn't even have records for any of the information I found on Ancestry website, so I would advise not to recommend them. Just thought you'd like to know. Catarina
daddymuzza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daddymuzza »

A few Camozzi records show up here.......

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/
if yer no fast yer last !!!