Magno, Rodi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
TIMK

Magno, Rodi

Post by TIMK »

I have information that shows my grandfather, Pasquale Magno came from Rodi, IT to Ellis Island about 1911. The family story says he was an orphan taken in by either a doctors or lawyers family. So we have a break that is hard to get past. My father said he was from Foggia, but I have no confirmation.
Any information on the several towns with the name RODI or the commonality of the family name MAGNO would be appreciated.
vj
Master
Master

Re: Magno, Rodi

Post by vj »

Welcome to the Forum!
We would be happy to help.
Have you placed your grandfather on any US census records?
What was his birth date, where did he live - there may be clues on his US records
Thank you, Valarie
TIMK

Post by TIMK »

My granmothers name was Anna Montforte (sp?). She was born in the US, but I cannot find any information other than the occasional census reference. She was of northern Italian extraction and I have been to a town named Montforte a little south of Turin which may have been her families town.
She died in 1959 in Hoboken NJ and was about 65 yrs old. She was related to several political families in the area including Carmine DeSapio of Tammany Hall fame.
If anyone has any secrets to finding birth, marriage or death certificates I would appreciate hearing about them!
TIMK

Post by TIMK »

Valerie
yes, I have several pieces of information. I have a 1920 census, Jersey City and a 1930 census, Hoboken NJ. I have a draft card registration and a SS death record in 1965 or 66. I also have the first Ellis Island registration and also a second one a few years later. The first lists RODI while the second lists Jersey City.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

As you can see with this tool ( http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html ) the Magno name is common throughout Italy.

Can you tell us a bit more about Pasquale? His date of birth as accurately as you know it?

Also, where did he reside in the US?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

MAGNO

Thank you for the update
If you haven't already done this, you may want to order his SS Application ($27)
It will confirm his place of birth and give his parent's names
Valarie

Social Security Application SS-5

His SS# is available here if you don’t already have it:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... _form=true

About the SS Application:
http://genealogy.about.com/od/online_re ... equest.htm
The SS-5, or Application for Social Security Number is a great resource for learning more about individuals who died after about 1960, and generally includes the following:
- Full name
- Full name at birth, including maiden name
- Present mailing address
- Age at last birthday
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Father's full name
- Mother's full name, including maiden name

- Sex
- Race as indicated by the applicant
- Whether the applicant ever applied for Social Security or Railroad Retirement before
- Current employer's name and address
- Date signed
- Applicant's signature
Order form SSA-711 (can be done online):
http://www.ssa.gov/foia/html/foia_guide.htm
===

Here's his 1942 WWII Draft Registration Card
Not much help on his birth location
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5523/1942x.jpg
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Not sure if you are aware, but there does exist Comune di Rodi Garganico which is located within Provincia di Foggia (Regione di Puglia, Southern Italy). This may tie together your manifest which says Rodi and your father's aserttion that he was from Foggia.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

TIMK wrote:... secrets to finding birth, marriage or death certificates I would appreciate hearing about them!
Italian vital records are kept at the comune (town) level where the event occured. Once you know the comune you can write to them for the record and/or check the FamilySearch website to see if the Family History Library has microfilmed records for your comune.
Finding her parent's manifest may be a good first step
Valarie

Note: if the family pages on ancestry are yours, Anna's 1907 manifest is listing her under her mother's maiden name, on this manifest the father's surname is Paolino - family headed to MA?