Should I e-mail comune first?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
catalanogg

Should I e-mail comune first?

Post by catalanogg »

I need to write to Carlentini and Augusta (both in Siracusa), to request one birth certificate from each comune. Would I be better off e-mailing my request to the comune before I try mailing letters? I already have letters written up but I am unsure whether or not they would be appropriate sent as e-mails, and the only addresses I can find are not specific to the "ufficio dello stato civile". (Carlentini - sindaco @ comune.carlentini.sr.it; Augusta - comune.augusta @ augol.it )

Has anyone else had luck e-mailing a comune? What is your advice?
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Should I e-mail comune first?

Post by maestra36 »

I have emailed various towns a number of times, and with success, but only for the purpose of getting dates and/or names. I think to request record copies, it is best that you do so via regular mail and include a self-addressed but not stamped envelope as a gesture. Most towns do not charge for the record, but some are beginning to. If the town wants money for the record, they will inform you. I suppose you could email first just to see if there is a charge for the record copy. You must write in Italian whether you email or use regular mail. I have also had the most success when I have given the towns some very specific information. If you need to estimate a year of birth or marriage date, for example, normally a range of five years will get you success. If you give the town a 25 year range, they will probably reply that they haven't found anything when they probably haven't even bothered to do a search.

There are also microfilmed records for both towns available for rental through a local family history center run by the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints. The years available on film are 1820-1920. You can view the available film titles at www.familysearch.org in the library catalog on that website.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Both towns have microfilmed records to 1929 and not 1920.
catalanogg

Post by catalanogg »

I think I am going to take your advice and e-mail first to ask how much payment is so that I can send it in with my written request. Writing in Italian is not a problem for me, I have the exact names and dates already as well.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I have had some answered through email and some not. And the towns that ignored me through email ended up responding to me once I sent in a letter. So it varies with each comune. I end up doing both. I send an email, wait a bit and if I dont hear from them I send in the written request