Messina- 1930 Census states alien status? (good info inside)

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Messina- 1930 Census states alien status? (good info inside)

Post by JPMessina44 »

I've been reviewing this website for a few weeks and great information has been passed along, so thanks for that! I've recently begun my questg to become a dual citizen and starting off with my great grandfathers naturalization and before ordering from NARA, etc, wanted to see if anybody can access ancestry and see if an AL is listed next to my ggf name or not.

My link is Father- Granmdfather- Great Grandfather

Some background information:
Paul Messina - born 1888, married to Maria Madeline (desanto) Messina, lives in the bronx and passed away 1954. Paolo (Paul) was born in Catania. I found his information on ellisisland.org which was very exciting, say he came over at 19 yrs old, in 1907 from Naples.

Maria was born in 1988 (census says 1891) and maiden name is Desanto. She passed away in 1958. Maria was born in Siracusa.

This is what I found on ancestry when looking up the 1930 census. Before I put loads of cash and time, I was wondering if anybody had access to see his in moredeatil and see if he was registered as alien, or other at this time. MY grandfather, Joseph, was born in 1927. Thanks so much for you help!!

Document information [show]Title/Collection: Fifteenth Census of the United States, 1930
Publication Number: T626
Content Source: NARA
National Archives Catalog ID: 598030
National Archives Catalog Title: Population Schedules for the 1930 Census, compiled 1930 - 1930
Record Group: 29
Census Year: 1930
Short Description: NARA T626. Fifteenth Census of the United States, 1930.
State: New York
County: BRONX
Browse Description: BRONX BOROUGH
Enumeration District: 3-70
Description: BRONX BOROUGH, ASSEMBLY DIST. 2 (PART), BOUNDED BY (N) E. 150TH; (E) MELROSE AVE., 3D AVE.; (S) E. 148TH; (W) MORRIS AVE.
Sheet Number: 13A
Found on this Document (50)Messina, Paul
Estimated Birth Year: 1887, Family Number: 318, Age: 43, Full Name: Messina, Paul

Messina, Maria
Estimated Birth Year: 1891, Family Number: 318, Age: 39, Full Name: Messina, Maria

Messina, Rosario
Age: 16, Estimated Birth Year: 1914, Family Number: 318, Full Name: Messina, Rosario

Messina, Vito
Age: 14, Estimated Birth Year: 1916, Family Number: 318, Full Name: Messina, Vito

Messina, Santina
Age: 12, Estimated Birth Year: 1918, Family Number: 318, Full Name: Messina, Santina

Messina, Antonetta
Age: 10, Estimated Birth Year: 1920, Family Number: 318, Full Name: Messina, Antonetta

Messina, Josephine
Estimated Birth Year: 1922, Family Number: 318, Age: 8, Full Name: Messina, Josephine

Messina, Salvatore
Estimated Birth Year: 1924, Family Number: 318, Age: 6, Full Name: Messina, Salvatore

Messina, Paolina
Estimated Birth Year: 1926, Family Number: 318, Age: 4, Full Name: Messina, Paolina

Messina, Joseph
Estimated Birth Year: 1927, Age: 3, Family Number: 318, Full Name: Messina, Joseph
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Messina- 1930 Census states alien status? (good info ins

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Hi, JP. Welcome!

Looks like Paul was "PA" (first PApers - Declaration of Intent -submitted) and Maria was "AL".

Click the thumbnail, then click again for larger image.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

Carmine, thats awesome, thanks so much for sending this and so quickly. Just to make sure I am understanding this correctly, this census was taken in 1930, so therefore he was not a citizen upon my grandfathers birth in 1927. Therefore I would remain eligible under jure sanguinis. Am i understanding this correctly?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

JPMessina44 wrote:Carmine, thats awesome, thanks so much for sending this and so quickly. Just to make sure I am understanding this correctly, this census was taken in 1930, so therefore he was not a citizen upon my grandfathers birth in 1927. Therefore I would remain eligible under jure sanguinis. Am i understanding this correctly?
Census accuracy leaves a lot to be desired in many cases. However, it certainly appears that Paul had begun the naturalization process by filing a Declaration of Intent sometime before the date of the census, which was actually April 26, 1930. This being the case, there is no way that he was already a citizen in 1927 (had he already completed the process, the census would have said "NA" - Naturalized).

Seems to me that you are good to go. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

that's great news, I was definitely concerned about this. I guess its almost time to send out that dreaded NARA and naturalization paperwork. Thanks for all of ur help, i appreciate the effort! Any helpful tips/hints, would be very welcomed as well.

One question for you, given I live in NJ (Newark/NYC) consulate, would you recommend that I set up my appointment, since its a 1.5 yr waiting list and compile documents, or should I wait until I get certain one's back first?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

According to http://www.ambwashingtondc.esteri.it/Am ... consolare/ the Newark consulate serves Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union, and Warren counties.

The Philadelphia consulate serves Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, Ocean and Salem counties. There have been rumors that the Philidelphia consulate will be closing however.

There is no question that many people set up an appointment long before acquiring all of the necessary documents. It is a choice only you can make. :)
Carmine

JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

I hear you, i've been debating this for awhile, and I figure all marriage, detah, birth etc (minus the birth certifricate in Sicily for ggma and ggrpa) will be easy to get as all is in NYC.

just curious, I am living in Hudson County currently, so Newark would be my consulate. Say I move for work to Connecticut, would I have to cancel my appointment and go to a consulate that support that area?

I may have an opportunity to relocate next year, so don't want to book an appointment, then have to reschedule another for a long ways out.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

if I could spell, that would work as well...I have multiple long form copies of my parents marriage, grandfathers death, and my birth certificate already...the rest can come right from Manhattan, and I live 5 minutes by train to the places I need to go to get the records.

My one fear is that my great grandfather was an orphan (wedlock situation), so tracking down his birth documents will be a pain.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Here is Paul/Paolo's WWII Draft Registration card:

You have to go to the consulate which servies your place of legal residence. And, yes, they do check. On the other hand, if you can find a job in Connecticut, please let me know. I am an IT guy and have been keeping my eyes open for some time now...
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

And WWI?

Blank card for reference:

Carmine

JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

How do you find all of this stuff, honestly im like in awe, literally 1 week ago, my family had conflicting stories on my ggpa and now I am seeing all of these documents, it truly is amazing.

I'll def keep that in mind RE Connecticut, i work for an international investment bank in the city, Assistant Vice President of Human Resources so I am sure I can put you in contact with some IT recruiters.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I presume this to be Paolo's Social Security Death Index record:

Social Security Death Index about Paul Messina Name: Paul Messina
SSN: 125-09-8282
Last Residence: 10002 New York, New York, New York, United States of America
Born: 24 Mar 1887
Died: Dec 1967
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

JPMessina44 wrote:How do you find all of this stuff, honestly im like in awe, literally 1 week ago, my family had conflicting stories on my ggpa and now I am seeing all of these documents, it truly is amazing.

I'll def keep that in mind RE Connecticut, i work for an international investment bank in the city, Assistant Vice President of Human Resources so I am sure I can put you in contact with some IT recruiters.
As you can see, I make a pretty darn good researcher, too! :)
Carmine

JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

interesting, his DOB on WW1 and WW2 doesn't match. WWI looks like March 24, 1887 and WWII says June 11, 1888.

Ellisisland.org records matches the 1888 and the census shows approx 1887.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

i'm not sure the above his my grgpa....he died at 66 yrs old? I have his date of death at 12/1954. Is there any records that show that date for a Paolo or Paul?