need guidance to get Italian citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jangelboy

need guidance to get Italian citizenship

Post by jangelboy »

Hello
I need guidance to get Italian citizenship
How to get documents where and how
My blood connection to Italy is such that
My great grandfather was born in Italy, he emigrated to Egypt
My grandfather was born in Egypt on April 2, 1913, he emigrated to Israel(1949) via Italy
My father was born in Egypt on June 24, 1943, he emigrated to Israel(1949) via Italy with my grandfather
They used the Italian passport of my grandfather
I have That passport
In That passport registered all the names of the children (my father among them) and dates of birth, Entry and exit dates
That passport was issued in Italian consulate in Cairo
And it was registered in the town of Livorno (LI)
My grandfather gave up his Italian citizenship to receive Israeli citizenship
My father claims he has never been an Italian citizen or Egypt (but is listed my grandfather's passport as a child)
I understand that my father was born when my grandfather was an Italian citizen because he had an Italian passport and my dad says he has never been an Italian citizen I mean he deserves the right to Italian citizenship
I mean I can demand citizenship.
Do I have a chance to be an Italian citizen? What do you all think?
Where to start? How do I get all the necessary documents?
I appreciate any help
Thanks
mler
Master
Master

Re: need guidance to get Italian citizenship

Post by mler »

If your father obtained Israeli citizenship before your birth through your grandfather's naturalization when your father was a minor OR from his own Israeli naturalization, you would not be eligible. You will need to check on this.
jangelboy

Post by jangelboy »

Yes, but my father still could obtain Italian citizenship and that means my dad will be an Italian citizen (Suppose)
So Once he is a citizen, I can get citizenship !?
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Mler might know better, but I believe if your father naturalized, he will not be able to claim Italian citizenship. Naturalization requires a person to renounce all other citizenships, which would include Italian citizenship.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

ForzaItaliaPgh wrote:Mler might know better, but I believe if your father naturalized, he will not be able to claim Italian citizenship. Naturalization requires a person to renounce all other citizenships, which would include Italian citizenship.
We have to be careful when dealing with countries other than the US as some of these details might not apply.

Frankly, the original poster's best choice is to contact his local consulate and explain in detail his family history or, alternatively, contact an attorney familiar with Italian citizenship.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

johnnyonthespot wrote: We have to be careful when dealing with countries other than the US as some of these details might not apply.
Great point. I was thinking of US law. I knew someone would have a better answer :lol:

Good luck either way. :D
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Absolutely true. Every country is different in terms of citizenship. One thing is certain, however. Anyone who naturalized in another country before 1992 lost Italian citizenship. That's why it's important to check on those dates before you get too far ahead of yourself.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

........My father was born in Egypt on June 24, 1943, he emigrated to Israel(1949) via Italy with my grandfather........

When did your grand-father give up his Italian citizenship to become Israeli? If it was shortly after they arrived in 1949 or during the years your father was still a minor, your father also lost his Italian citizenship because the actions of the father would have affected the minor child. This rule isn't any other country's rule. It's Italy's rule and it applies to all minor children who's parents renounced Italy.