children naming conventions, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
timo
Rookie
Rookie

children naming conventions, Sicily

Post by timo »

My great-grandparents named their first son after paternal grandfather and their first daughter after paternal grandmother. Typical enough. But what were the obligations/conventions/freedoms when naming the third child? Did it switch to the maternal grandparents?
Thanks
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Re: children naming conventions, Sicily

Post by Eleven »

I found.. they name the first boy and girl after paternals.
the next boy and girl after maternals.

Then they could or would use another relative..or saint (the patron saint of the town or the saint day for the day they were born). Or in most cases I am finding in my own family is..they keep using the same first 4 names, because the babies die and the reuse the name. I just ran across one that used the name calogero, 3 times.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

In my family, my great grandparents named the first boy and girl after their paternal grandparents and the next boy and girl after their maternal grandparents. After that they went down the line of paternal uncles and aunts and then the maternal uncles and aunts. To my great grandmother's relief, they never did use up all the names.
John Armellino
timo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by timo »

Thanks for the replies. In my own family, the second boy was named after maternal grandfather too. I'd read somewhere that names from the maternal grandparents were "never" used but I think the author must have had in mind the first two children.