Looking for family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
neves

Looking for family

Post by neves »

Looking for any information on BALDINO and/or La PORTA families from COSENZA.
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Looking for family

Post by ptimber »

Fro m experience we know that when you say Cosenza most of the time people do not know the real town of origin but merely recite the Capital of the province in which their town is located so people can swiftly iodentify with the geography. For example there are 119 persons surnamed Baldino in the province of Cosenza which has numerous towns and villages...which one??? it maybe that they come from the actual capital which is Cosenza for the capital of Cosenza province but it is the exceptuio rather than the rule. So try hard to come up wioth the town of origimn. Seek it out in the www,.ellisisland,org website and the n get back here....fast!! peter
neves

Post by neves »

Hi PETER,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR MESSAGE. IT SEEMS THAT THE VILLAGE FOR THE BALDINOs IS "MAGLI", I LOOKED IT UP AND ONLY FOUND "MAGLIE". DOE STHIS MAKE SENSE?
THANKS AGAIN,
Z
I am looking for any information on BALDINO family from COSENZA.
Thanks for your help
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

neves wrote:Looking for any information on BALDINO and/or La PORTA families from COSENZA.
Hi,

Can you give us a little bit more information such as exact names (including given name and surname)?

Do you have the ship's manifest of your ancestor?

Do you know where your ancestor's settled?

Tells us what you have so we can hopefully give you some suggestions.

Smile for me!:)
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
neves

Post by neves »

Hi Trish,

Thanks for your message. Actually I am trying to locate my kid's ancestors. They are Baldino.
Although there are some Baldinos from his family that came to the USA, the ones we are trying to locate went to Brasil at the end of the 1800's/beginning of 1900's.
The name was Francesco Baldino, his father, who stayed in Italy was names Pasquale Baldino.
My kids are the great grand kids of Francesco. Francesco's son: Pasqual Baldino was my father-in-law and he considered himself a "Calabrese".
Pasqual's sons think the name of the village was Magli or Maglie.
I don't know if there is a place called Magli in Calabria.
I will be forever thanking you if you can give me any help.
best regards,
Zoila
Thanks for your help
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

HI,
To the left is a database of locations in Italy. If you search on Magli with the sounds like options you get many choices. But I only saw one, listed below which looks like what you want.

Magli is a hamlet or section in Trenta, Cosenza (Cosenza is a province of Calabria)

This will take you to the Family History records available on microfilm for Trenta. The records are from 1821 to 1910.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... RTOF=italy

By going through vital records you can put together the family, confirm who disappears (to Brazil?).

Debbie
neves

Post by neves »

Hi Debbie,

I am sooooo grateful to you guys, don't know how to thank you.
My daughter and I will be going to Cosenza at the end of the month and, of course, to Trenta and to Magli and try to locate personally her ancestors and their descendents that are still in that area.
Tomorrow I will locate a Mormon archives in the area were we are in California and will request to check their micro films, I am sure that I'll be able to get some good info before we travel.

I will let you know what happens to our search.
Thank you a lot,
Zoila
Thanks for your help
aunttootie

Post by aunttootie »

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you had any luck. I'm researching the same family - Giuseppe Baldino from Trenta who immigrated to USA at the age of 14 in 1890.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website where did he settle in the USA and what was wifes name you start your own post it would be easier for you

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
aunttootie

Post by aunttootie »

He ultimately settled in Hubbard, Ohio with his wife Philomena (Fanny) Fortunatti(?). A friend of mine is his grandson and is trying to research his family.

Thanks so much for the welcome!