Marsicovetere

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jessahip
Rookie
Rookie

Marsicovetere

Post by jessahip »

I am looking for information on my GGF's family. His name was Giovanni Marsicovetere born approx May 30 1872. He came from Italy in the late 1800's early 1900s I am not exactly sure cannot find him in any ship records. I am trying to find information about his family in italy. I think his parents names were Francesco Marsicovetere and Antonette (not sure of her maiden name) I know that he also had four of five brothers and sisters. I know of a Michael born around 1880, Samuel, Augustine born around 1877, I think there is another sister but am not sure. If anyone could find any birth or family or marriage information from Italy that would be so great! The town they came from is Marsico Nuovo, or Marsicovetere Italy.

Thank you!
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Re: Marsicovetere

Post by DebiHarbuck »

The age is off by about 10 years...but is it possible this is him:

Name: Giovanni Marsicovetere
Arrival Date: 31 Oct 1903
Birth Year: abt 1882
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Napoli
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Citta di Milano

http://postimage.org/image/2tm94aqjo/
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi! :-)

This isn't too much help, but it is a canceled trip by "Augustale Marsicovetere" (aage is right for the brother of Giovanni you mentioned) with children Francesco and Antonio. Line crossed out on the manifest...
Their last residence was Marsiconuovo.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0003

T.
jessahip
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jessahip »

ok so my relatives the Marsicovetere's must have come from Marsico Nuovo....any way to find out what their mother's maiden name was?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

There are 23 Marsicovetere in Marsico Nuovo and 9 in Marsicovetere

Marsicovetere = Old Marsico
Marsico Nuovo = New Marsico

The distance between Marsicovetere and Marsico Nuovo is 14 Km.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You can try writing to the town hall in Marsico Nuovo and Marsicovetere to request birth record or marriage record...

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Municipio
85052 Marsico Nuovo (PZ)
ITALY

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Costa Inferiore, 3
85050 Marsicovetere (PZ)
ITALY

Write in Italian... (here are some resources for form letters)
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter3.html

T.
jessahip
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jessahip »

is there any way to access marriage or birth records with the parents names from ancestry.com and if so how?
jessahip
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jessahip »

if i wanted to see if there was a marriage record for giovanni's parents how do i find that information with out a date?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Both of those comuni are listed in the Potenza records in Ancestry. You will need to purchase a World Membership...

I only have the regular membership or I would retrieve it for you :-(

T.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Jessa - I have a World Membership and will be happy to check for marriage records for you. Did you look at the manifest I posted to see if it is a possibility? That Giovanni's mother's maiden name is on the manifest.

Let me know exactly what you want me to look for and I'll be happy to do it.
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

How about this 1872 birth record for Giovanni? I have no idea what it says, so someone else will have to translate for you. :)

http://postimage.org/image/6xu4h16s/

(And, Tessa, thank you! I had no idea these records were available at Ancestry. I will be giving them - and all of your translating skills - a real workout!)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Debi! :-)

Thanks for posting this record...
Did you happen to look at #156 (the record before this one)? Can you give me the name of the child named on that record?

Here is the translation for this birth act... #157

On 16 June 1872 in Marsico, Province of Basilicata, District of Potenza, before the official appeared Vitantonio Marsicovetere son of deceased Giovanni, age 26, peasant farmer residing in this comune, to present the testimonies of Angelo Maggio, father unknown, 40, and Michele Vaccaro son of Francesco Saverio, 36, both peasant farmers residing in this comune, to the presentation of a male child born to his legitimate wife Mariantonia Vaccaro, peasant farmer, on the 15th of this month at 2 PM, and to whom was given the name Giovanni Marsicovetere.
His name was Giovanni Marsicovetere born approx May 30 1872
T.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Tessa, #156 is for Benedetta Rosa S____? Here's the first part of the record:

http://postimage.org/image/71lqjhok/

Also, I am going to post my GGM's birth record in the translation thread; would you mind when you have time?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Thanks for posting that one... just curious! :-)

AND...I'd be happy to try and translate your GGM's birth record! :-D

T.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

DebiHarbuck wrote:Tessa, #156 is for Benedetta Rosa S____? Here's the first part of the record:

http://postimage.org/image/71lqjhok/

Also, I am going to post my GGM's birth record in the translation thread; would you mind when you have time?
Benedetta Rosa Sasso, born 12 June 1872 to Carmine and Rosa Romagnano