help with town / area

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
carla370
Rookie
Rookie

help with town / area

Post by carla370 »

I am looking at my grandfather's ship passenger listings. He made many crossings however on one of them it listed his residence as "Bari Pomigliano" I don't quite understand the town / area name. I do know sometimes the people who worked for the ships who recorded the information didn't necessarily know the geography but I am at a loss as to what Bari Pomigliano might mean.

Thank you

Carla
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: help with town / area

Post by liviomoreno »

There is a town called Pomigliano d'Arco, in province of Napoli, Bari is another town (much bigger than Pomigliano d'Arco) and quite distant....
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

I'm guessing, Bari is the street name in Pomigliano d'Arco, Naples.

Attached is the street.

Here is a list of surnames found in Pomigliano d'Arco, Naples:

Aievola Aievoli Aliberto Allocca Andrisani
Antignani Antignano Antonio Aperuta Basile
Beneduce Borzachiello Bottino Caiazzo Campana
Cantore Capone Carolla Castaldo Cennamo
Cervone Ciccarelli Cirillo Colombo Coppola
Corcione Cosentino Costanzo Cozzolino Cravero
Crisci D'Agostino D'Alise D'Angelis D'Aniello
D'Auria D'Onofrio De Angelis De Caro De Cicco
De Falco De Maio De Simone Defalco di Cecio
Di Costanzo Di Falco di Maio Di Marzi di Mauro
Di Mazzo DiMauro Esposito Falco Ferretti
Fico Fierro Folco Forino Fornaro
Franchese Griego Guadagna Guadagni Iasevoli
Iazzetta Ingenno Ingiusto Inno Jasevoli
Jodice La Gatta La Montagna LaGatta LaMontagna
Lattaro Leone Magno Mama Manna
Marciani Marciano Maresca Marino Marzano
Mattiello Mazzarelli Mazzocchi Mazzuoccolo Mele
Mincione Mingione Minore Mocerino Molaro
Montanini Montanino Monte Municino Naddeo
Narducci Oragano Palladino Panico Papaccio
Passarelli Passariello Pecoraro Penta Perna
Perotti Perozzi Perrone Perrotta Perrotti
Piccolo Pico Pignatiello Pipola Pipoli
Pipolo Pirozzi Provenzano Purcaro Quercio
Raia Rea Ricci Romano Russo
Salvatore Savella Saverio Saviano Scialo
Sepe Setola Sgammato Siesto Silvio
Siniscalchi Siniscalco Sodano Spiezio Sposito
Spoti Terracciano Terracino Terriano Testa
Tetta Tirelli Tondi Torio Toscano
Tramontana Tranchese Trivoluzzi Tufano Violante
Zito
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

How certain are you of the spelling?

There is a comune named Polignano a Mare in the province of Bari. Could this be what you are looking for?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
carla370
Rookie
Rookie

Post by carla370 »

johnnyonthespot: I know it's a little weird, that is why I am seeking help. I thought perhaps someone w local info may know of a nickname, or ? that would help identify what this was referring to. I know there is no Bari Pomigliano on the map. As I mentioned this was recorded by an employee of the passenger ship. I have attached a copy of the record

jamiecapaldi: the name of my grandafther was Pietro DeCicco b 1887 however we have very little information. Unfortunately his past is confusing. We know he had half brothers. We know he was married twice. His second wife was my grandmother. Using ship passenger records I can confirm he lived in many places in Italy from way up north-east to Calabria.

I have found his name recorded as DeCecco also... so when an immigrant comes to North America the documents are only as good as the person recording the information. Slight differences in spelling or lack of geographical knowledge can make a lot of difference in finding records. If the employee on the passenger ship knew there was no such place as Bari Pomigliano he may have challenged what grandfather gave him but alas this did not happen.

Also please note (and this might be helpful for future researchers...) that the last place of residence prior to departure may not necessarily be an individual's actual place of residence

I appreciate all the help here thank you all for trying to sort this out for me!

I suspect I need to obtain the civil records of his marriage to my grandmother, rather than try to rely on unofficial, poorly-written passenger lists :(
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

It is a mistake of the employee and I would bet that the correct city is Pomigliano, province of Napoli.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Would you mind providing the name of your grandmother?

That may help us search from a different angle... :-)

T.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Livio is right; Pomigliano d'Arco, Napoli province is the right town; the "Bari" is the province of above line( Rutigliano)..
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
carla370
Rookie
Rookie

Post by carla370 »

thank you Livio and suanj I suspected as much.

Tessa my grandmother is of the Autieri family Spezzano Piccolo Calabria. Her name at birth should be Marietta (my middle name) however most recordings show variations such as Mary, Marie, etc.

I can confirm she has a sister, Luisa Autieri also. She and Luisa came over to Canada together. At the time her sister Luisa was a widow (formerly married to Francesco Bonanno) with two small children (Francescina and Florence) but she would have been born Autieri. There are other Autieri siblings as well.

Obviously I do have fairly good background information on the Autieris but grandfather DeCicco is remaining quite the mystery.
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Just to add, the line below looks like it is correct too, alike the one above Pietro, as Livio and Suanj mentioned. It being 'Napoli' as Province and Pomigliano the town. I think they were confused between the above 'Bari' and below 'Napoli'.
I can not find De Cicco in Rutigliano, in the following search site:

http://www.avitrees.com/welcome.jsp

So i think you are definately on the right track when you say Pomigliano!!
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
osky

Post by osky »

Me agradarìa conectarme con alguna persona de apellido solari en Lavagna (Ge)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

carla370,

Do you have this later manifest (1921)for Marietta Autieri and her sons, Francesco and Ernesto DiCicco?

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0021

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0021

T.
carla370
Rookie
Rookie

Post by carla370 »

Tessa yes I do have that, thank you. Ernesto is my father :-) Francesco adopted the name Cecil and of course there's the usual confusion over the last name spelling. It should be DeCicco.. at least that is what we have used since the family arrived in Canada.

Still, no information on my Grandfather Pietro DeCicco b 1887. This is very difficult.

I have ordered the microfilm of civil records from Spezzano Piccolo from the LDS Church. They should arrive in about three weeks which may help to shed some light on grandpa D.