My ggrandfather naturalized!! My story! (thanks DebiHarbuck)

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

My ggrandfather naturalized!! My story! (thanks DebiHarbuck)

Post by JPMessina44 »

Debi and I emailed yesterday and vetted thru some documents on Ancestry and Footnote, and we found an "odd" petition that didn't match the already exisiting one's that we had eliminated as not matches.

I called Bronx County Court and it turned out that my great grandfather naturalized in 1929....so the guy was great on the phone, looked it up for me and made sure this was correct before he went ahead and had me send the money order in. Big props to Bronx County Clerk's, specifically a guy named Mark.

He will get the money order Monday morning, and send the documents right out, certified. I'm soooo excited cause now I don't need to go to NARA, pay extra for the 1930 census, nor have to go to Immigration and ask for any documents. No, no record founds letters now!

(PS- my grandfather was born in 1927, 2 years BEFORE my greatgrandpa naturalized.)

had to share the excitement and give Debi props for helping me out.
mler
Master
Master

Re: My ggrandfather naturalized!! My story! (thanks DebiHarb

Post by mler »

Nice to get good news. Congratulations!
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

Yes, a lot of effort, it is nice to know there isn't an issue, but actually a post about something positive. It's the first huge step, in a long process.....meeting is on Jan 31, 2011.

I have:
- Mom and Dad's birth certificate (still need apostille and translation)
- My birth (need apostille still)
- Great grandparents marriage certificate, certified (still need MA apostille)

Ordered:
- Grandfather death (will need apostille and translation)- once I get document, I can order his birth.
- Great Grandfather's naturalization from 1929 (will be here by Thursday)
- Great Grandmother birth from Italy (sent 1 euro, should be via email next week)

Need:
- Great gma and gps death (will need apostille and translation)
- parents marriage (got them to authorize/notarize document allowing me access)
- Grandparents marriage
- Grandma birth
- Grandfather birth
- Great Grandfathers Birth Record italy - sent email and letter 2 weeks ago

Anyway, off to a good start and it sure helps that I live 2 minutes from Manhattan...I'm going to get the documents and walk them around town.

Thanks for the Congrats, hopefully I'll "soon" be the newest member of the dual citizenship club here! :)
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

if I missed anything, apologize, I'm at work so typed fast. I can assure you that I know the documents needed and will make sure I am accurate, up to date and fully great for Newark consulate!
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Hurrah!!! I am so happy that I could help AND that you managed to get such good news in so short a time! :)

(also, more than a little jealous that you're so close to Manhattan ;)
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Good job! Im glad its all falling into place for you :)