How important is it to have a letter stating no amending

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

How important is it to have a letter stating no amending

Post by beauac »

I wanted to get a letter from my local vital records office stating they dont amend records but they are being complete jerks. I don't think I will get one. The embassy must know by now that most places are against amending, right? I figured even with the letter they would tell me to get everything amended anyway. Thoughts?
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Re: How important is it to have a letter stating no amending

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

If it were me, I'd go to the appt and see what happens. Worse comes to worse, they'll tell you it has to be amended and you can deal with it when it comes. From what I hear, most people need a couple appts to get through the process.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I think it also depends on what needs to be amended.Some issues are major, some minor. Ive heard of both sides of the coin here...some need things amended and some said the consulate let it go. What state wont do it?
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Post by beauac »

I still do not have any letter stating a no amending policy to bring with me to my appointment. The thing is that the only records I need amended are in CT and they go as far back to the 20´s. The office hints that they don't amend records but then when I ask for a written letter stating the policy they say something like, well we can't do that because sometimes we do amend records. More idiocy from the government I guess. But what I am asking is this, if I have this letter does the consulate let the discrepancies pass and go forward with the process rather than sending me on a 90 day goose chase? Because they must know by now everything about discrepancies and how most places don't change them. It seems like a way to buy time on their end after the first meeting. I am wondering just how important such a letter is. Thoughts?