Dr. Burroni of Torino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sarah2710

Dr. Burroni of Torino

Post by sarah2710 »

Hello,
For several years I have been trying to find a clue to the whereabouts of a relative who was said (by family tradition) to have left her husband and gone from Scotland to Italy (most likely around 1890) and eventually died there. Her daughter was supposed to have married an Italian doctor.

Just today I received the 1921 will of her husband and I was very excited to see that he mentions,

"…my daughter Mary Annie Burroni, wife of Dr. Burroni of Turin."

Finally a name and a place! I would like to find out as much as I can about Mary Annie (née Adlington, born 1867 Edinburgh, Scotland), whether she and Dr. Burroni had any children and when she died.

In addition I hope to find if her mother, Emma Adlington (née Giles, born 1835 Aberdeen, Scotland) was also living in Torino and if she died there. I am assuming that she died by 1908, when her husband remarried, since I see no sign of a divorce.

Since I don't have any firm dates to go by, what is the best way for me to proceed? I don't see any online databases for Torino (although I would be happy to be proved wrong!) and am assuming that the first thing to do would be to order the films for the Torino death indexes from FamilySearch.org and trawl through them to see if I can spot the deaths of Emma and Mary Annie and births of her possible children.

Does anyone have any further suggestions? I have not done any research in Italy, so would be grateful for any ideas you might have.

Thanks for your time,
Sarah
sarah2710

Re: Dr. Burroni of Torino

Post by sarah2710 »

Hi all,
Thought I would give this one more try by bringing it to the top again.

I guess my only option is to order the FamilySearch.org films, then? I was hoping there were some more suggestions, since I've had no luck contacting the local FHC here in France, even during hours when they are supposed to be open.

Cheers,
Sarah
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Sarah,

since a few days you can find an online archive of the newspaper La Stampa (one of tha main newspapers here in Italy established in Torino)...
You can find archived newspapers since 1867:

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/componen ... /Itemid,3/

I thought that maybe, being Mary Annie's husband a Doctor, I could find at least a little reference to him on the newspaper but unfortunately I found nothing...
Are you sure about the lastname Burroni...?

Laura
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

There are currently just five Burroni's list in the Italian telephone directory for Torino: http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... urino&l=en

If I were you, I would try writing to all five of them - in Italian - and see if I got lucky.

Do you have a Facebook account? I see a Paola Burroni who lists Turino as her residence. There may be others as well.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
sarah2710

Post by sarah2710 »

Thank you both, Laura and Carmine, for the suggestions.
The newspaper is a great resource and I've been trying various searches to see if there is any mention of the people I am interested in. So far, no luck, but it is a good exercise for brushing up my Italian! I will keep looking.

Only 5 Burronis in Torino! It certainly seems worthwhile to write to them. I'll give it a try and see if I get any response.

I only have the one reference to the name, so I hope it wasn't an error. The will was typewritten, so there is no question of reading the handwriting wrong, but the typist could have made a mistake.

Thanks again,
Sarah
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

sarah2710 wrote:Thank you both, Laura and Carmine, for the suggestions.
The newspaper is a great resource and I've been trying various searches to see if there is any mention of the people I am interested in. So far, no luck, but it is a good exercise for brushing up my Italian! I will keep looking.

Only 5 Burronis in Torino! It certainly seems worthwhile to write to them. I'll give it a try and see if I get any response.

I only have the one reference to the name, so I hope it wasn't an error. The will was typewritten, so there is no question of reading the handwriting wrong, but the typist could have made a mistake.

Thanks again,
Sarah
Do try the Facebook member also, even if you have to create a (free) account to do so. I have had good results contacting Facebook members who share my surnames and comuni.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
sarah2710

Post by sarah2710 »

It's true that people are on Facebook because they want to be contacted, so that would seem a good way to try. If she is the same person by that name who comes up most frequently in a google search, then she is also a doctor, specializing in drug dependency and working in Torino.

Sarah