"official translation" of US records?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

"official translation" of US records?

Post by williamsburger »

Now that I have my paperwork from the commune where my great-grandparents lived (much faster than I assumed), there really isn't that much left for me to do before my appointment.... I'm kind of annoyed that I won't get to show off my pretty, pretty documents before next August! I guess it could be worse, though -- I know that lots of you have waited much longer to see your Consulate.

The last thing, beyond a few stray apostilles, is to get my documents translated. On the Newark Consulate's website, they state:
Please note: any document (originals and/or certified copies thereof) in a language other than Italian must be accompanied by a certified (notarized) translation into Italian
I know that the New York Consulate, which has more detail on their website, contains a list of translators for applicants to use. It strikes me, however, that I would be much better off financially in having an Italian graduate student, or someone like that, take care of the translating. Is that an option, or do I absolutely have to use a professional service?

Also, how does one go about getting translations notarized? Can I just bring them to any notary public, or does that have to be done together with the translations?
CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Re: "official translation" of US records?

Post by CowryShells »

Maybe you can get an idea from what we did. I had to get an Italian document translated into English (a notarized translation) so the state vital records office would make a correction on another document. I had the translator sign his name in the presence of a notary. We put the following statement at the bottom of the translation:

I, ________________________, am fluent in English and Italian and hereby certify that, to the best of my knowledge, the above document in English is a true and accurate translation of the original certified document in Italian.

The notary was simply verifying the translator's signature. It was the translator who was verifying that his translation was accurate. (The notary did not need to be fluent in Italian.)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Please do not waste huge amounts of money on translations until you know exactly what the consulate requires. DO NOT assume that the website is correct nor the pay-as-you-go Help (telephone) line.

As of quite recently, for example, the New York City consulate required translations only of the applicant's own birth and (if applicable) marriage certificates as well as those of his spouse and/or children - but only if they are applying for citizenship as well. Translations are not required for any earlier generations.

Also - again, for New York - the translations can be done by anyone (even yourself) so long as they are done accurately and in a professional manner. They do not need to be professionally translated nor do they need to be certified.

I don't know for certain what New Jersey's real requiremnets are, but I do know that many applicants are spending far more on translations then they need to.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Carmine, a question. The applicant is a Widower, having lost his wife after 37 years of marriage. He has two children -- both over age 30. They are not applying for citizenship at this time. Must the applicant present his marriage certificate and/or spouse's death certificate?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

jennabet wrote:Carmine, a question. The applicant is a Widower, having lost his wife after 37 years of marriage. He has two children -- both over age 30. They are not applying for citizenship at this time. Must the applicant present his marriage certificate and/or spouse's death certificate?
To the best of my knowledge, no - in the sense that what the consulate doesn't know about won't hurt them or anyone else.

But, yes - in the sense that Italian citizens have a legal responsibility to inform the government of changes in their "civil status".

When presenting his application, the question will probably be asked (Are you/were you married?); he will then be put in the position of having to answer honestly or of lying. If he answers honestly, they may demand the documents.

If he lies, well, who is to know but him?

Unless for some reason it is a real problem, I would suggest he goes ahead and presents his marriage license. Since his late wife will not be applying, her birth or death certificates should not be needed. By at least registering his marriage license, he will make the process much, much, simpler should his adult children ever decide to claim their own citizenship rights.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Grazie Carmine. This is perfectly clear. At some point, his adult children may be interested.