Document List & Review

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Document List & Review

Post by Drew927 »

Hi All, The following is a list of what I have for my appt on March 1st. What do you think? Am I ready?
Thanks, Drew

GF- 1)Birth record from Italy
2) Marriage record from Italy
3) Death Cert from NYC Archives
w/ Apostille, translation and letter it cannot be changed
4) Letters of “No Naturalization Records foundâ€
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Document List & Review

Post by JavaisLife »

Hi Drew,

First, and foremost ... good luck! Is this your appointment?

If your children are older than 18, they will need to make their own appointments, so ... if that is the case, call today to schedule appointments for the both of them.

You'll need to fill out the forms, saying that your GF, GM, F & M never renounced their citizenship (form 2 & 3 I believe... not sure what the numbers are, but download all the forms on the Consulate website. If your folks are alive, have them sign and notarize it. If they are dead, you sign it and have it notarized).

"translation and letter it cannot be changed" -- I translated this document into Italian, you might want to consider also bringing a sworn affidavit from your oldest living family member that supports your case (two copies (english/italian), notarize & have it Apostilled). It's going above and beyond, but that's the mindset you want to have.

*** W/ A FINE TOOTH COMB *** go through ALL of your documents, check for any errors. Are the birth years correct all the way through, are the names spelled correctly? Are they the original Italian spelling? etc. Do the names match that on the USCIS record of not found, etc.

*** 5) Certified 1930 Census w/ letter it cannot be changed
What is the error on the Census? If it contradicts naturalization, I'd keep it on a separate folder, or just say I couldn't find it and you did a search. If it's a small misspelling, perhaps I'd present it. ... but, depending on the consulate it's not 100% necessary. It's good as a supporting document, but that is if it supports your case. You do not want to present anything that contradicts your case.

** make a color photocopy of your license and passport. They'll do it for as soon as you get there, but it's a nice gesture to save them the to-do... and it's at the beginning of your case, so it could start you off on the right foot. ;)

Good luck,
M
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

Ps - have a friend/stranger go through your documents (don't give the documents out, but just get together w/ someone). It's good to have a new set of eyes. They will most likely catch something that you could have over looked.

A good friend of mine saved me early on the process, for I had a misspelling that my mind overlooked each time.

- M
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Hi Marie,

Yes this is my appt. and my kids are under 18.

I have the proper forms from the consulate website. Everyone in direct line is dead so I will sign myself.

The only errors I have found so far are on my Grandfathers Death Certificate. Which cannot be changed. His name was Andrea and is written Andrew. My GGF’s name was Eugenio and is written Eugene.

The 1930 Census has my father listed as a daughter named Angelina (his name was Angelo). Otherwise the document is correct and lists my GF as an Alien in 1930. I will hold this back and only hand it over should it be requested.

The oldest living relative of mine is my Mom and she is not in direct line. Would that be worth anything?

All the dates of birth, death and marriage are consistent as well as my surname. It has been spelled the same from their time of arrival. With the exception of a sloppy midwife who filled out my Dad’s birth certificate, but that has been fixed with a little help from you :)
Drew
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

Hey Drew!

I remember helping you. ... excellent!!! Your case sounds really solid.

Your Grandfather's death certificate is from the Municipal Archives? Those seem like small mistakes - as long as the other documents have it correct yu should be golden.

The 1930 error doesn't sound like a big deal. If it had the wrong spell, age etc I'd be more concerned.

The errors don't sound that big - I had a problem with my GGM maiden name being spelled completely wrong where it was almost a different last-name on my GF birth certificate. ... in that case an affidavit was necessary. Eugenio is most likely Eugene and Andrea is Andrew. They def. ask you at your meeting "Well, how do we know... blah blah blah". Just roll with the punches, they are looking to create doubt. Just remove the doubt :)

Good luck!!!!
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Thanks Marie,
I feel good about everything I have but I keep checking to make sure I didn't miss anything. I will definitely have a friend look it over to make sure. Another set of eyes can't hurt.

So I guess you still haven't heard anything yet. Maybe soon :)