Surname after Marriage

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
conte

Surname after Marriage

Post by conte »

I have a problem tracing details of my great grand parents. I knew my G.G.fathers name and place of residance. (Asti) They sent me a copy of a Certificato di Matrimonio, The problem I have is he ( A.F. Ambroso) appears to have married a Widow ( Dauda ) 8 years after my Grandfathers birth. Therefore my question is have Italian women always kept their own surname after marriage.Both my G.G. father and G.father have the same surname, so can I assume that my G.father was a son from a previous marriage of my Great Grandfather.
oilman19
Master
Master

Re: Surname after Marriage

Post by oilman19 »

Hello Conte

Welcome to the forum :)

The male line would continue to have the same surname regardless of how many marriages there were.
Yes, the women kept the surnames they were born with.
I'm not quite sure why the male line is confusing you, or am I misunderstanding your question.

Good luck
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The information Jim has given you is correct. An Italian woman always keeps her own surname after marriage (the surname of her father that she was given at birth). It doesn't matter how many times she marries. Her surname is the same, even when she dies. The male line retains its own surname, so sons would always have the same surnames as their fathers, as would daughters, married or single.

Like Jim, I don't know why you are confused. The good thing about women not changing their last names is that it makes it easy to trace their ancestries unlike here in the United States where a lot of maiden names of ancestors are unknown.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

conte wrote:I have a problem tracing details of my great grand parents. I knew my G.G.fathers name and place of residance. (Asti) They sent me a copy of a Certificato di Matrimonio, The problem I have is he ( A.F. Ambroso) appears to have married a Widow ( Dauda ) 8 years after my Grandfathers birth. Therefore my question is have Italian women always kept their own surname after marriage.Both my G.G. father and G.father have the same surname, so can I assume that my G.father was a son from a previous marriage of my Great Grandfather.
Have you sent for your grandfather's birth record? That will indicate his mother's name (and it will be her maiden name as explained by Jim and Peg).

Your grandfather's mother may or may not be the widow Dauda... :-)
His birth record should shed light on that :-)

T.
conte

Post by conte »

Thank you all, I think I probably asked my question in a confusing way. I felt it was possible that my grandfather was Dauda's son and he had taken on her husbands surname after their marriage.
Once again thank you all
Conte
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I believe that would have required a legal adoption.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
conte

Post by conte »

Jim Thank you