Italian Census

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kangaroo_ch
Rookie
Rookie

Italian Census

Post by kangaroo_ch »

I have a question regarding census. Did they have census in Italy like in other european countries where census where held every 5 or 10 years. If they did, are they available and where can i obtain copies?
Regards
Anton
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Italian Census

Post by maestra36 »

Census Records/Censimenti
The first Italian census was taken in 1871, with new censuses taken each successive decade. The censuses taken from 1871-1901 are inconsistent from region to region, and usually only name the head of household, his/her occupation, and the number of people living in the household. Census records from 1911 on, however, list names, ages, occupations, birthplaces and relationships to the head of household for each resident. Census records from 1911 to 1991 are usually found in each comune's anagrafe (register office), and in the state archive of each province. Availability differs from comune to comune (town to town), and all census records may not be yet open to the public.
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dragoni »

there may be a couple of other sources to assist you for earlier periods.

some churches have "census" like information known as state of the souls or stati delle anime which recorded the names of parishioners, for the churches in the area i was searching they were taken in the 1650-1700 period.

there is also the catasto onciario which was taken in the 1750ish periods for many locations. this was essentially a tax census. folks on this site most likely can advise whether this document exists in the area you are searching for relatives.

tommaso
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

In the area where I live (Sora, Frosinone) the census is done by mailing out cards to every resident on their books, who is then required to show up at City Hall to be registered. If you don't show they send the local police to find out why. Once it is determined that you are still a resident your personal record card is stamped with the year of the census. I have yet to see any separate census except for 1921 and 1930 (in Sora) which were more like 'state of the family' folders. The 1921 was updated for the next 10 years with births etc.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.