Hints or Favorite Tricks for locating passenger lists

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Hints or Favorite Tricks for locating passenger lists

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Looking for your favorite hints, backdoors, search-engines, what-have-you for finding passenger lists when the usual sources (Ancestry.com, Ellis Island, Castle Garden, FamilySearch, etc.) fail you.

I have an entire family that immigrated that I cannot locate. Frustrated doesn't begin to describe it. :?
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Hints or Favorite Tricks for locating passenger lists

Post by johnnyonthespot »

It can be slow going, but if you know a date/year of birth for one of them, try searching on first name only and year of birth plus/minus 1 year.

It would be a pain with a name like Giuseppe, but entirely practical with less common names (Leonilda and Egidio come to mind...).

PS: I don't think you can search without a surname at ellisisland.org, but you can at Ancestry . com.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

If searching Ellis Island records, I always use the www.stevemorse.org website. You can do all kinds of things on that website. If you have a town name, you can put in just the first letter of the first name and the first letter of the last name and the town name. You can then even do a sound search of the town name to yield even more results, as often town names were misspelled when they were transcribed into the search engine. You can do sound searches of the names and even a phonetic search. Sometimes a phonetic search will yield results which the other search options have not. I have found many ancestors using that website, by varying the options I select.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

And keep in mind that some entered the country by crossing the borders from Canada and Mexico :-)

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I have found though one person can screw up your whole research.My last name is Adelfio back in th early 1900 one midwife decide to spell our name Aderfio what a ball of confusion she caused in our family I have corrected some of it online on ancestry but thats what happens one stoke of the pen and bang your gone...........

Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Thanks, everyone, for the ideas. Sometimes we just need a fresh perspective.

Tessa, I will go back and make sure I haven't overlooked a border crossing; but these Cracatans (whom I am beginning to think of as 'those damned Leone's!' :) ) have a fairly steady pattern of Napoli-to-Manhattan migration. [These people are going to drive me right around the bend before it's over.]

Marty, your story made me smile. I spent years looking for my g-grandfather in the 1910 census indexes, to no avail. When I finally had access to the actual microfilmed pages, I scrolled right to the address where he should have been....and there he was. Pietro Roccanova...plain as day. Then I discovered he had been indexed as "Parks Borzahura." I had to laugh to keep from crying. (And, I too made sure I corrected the index at Ancestry. Now when you look for him...he shows up. :)
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Deb I have something to show you that is interesting
http://img600.imageshack.us/i/lionebirth.jpg/
You we laugh at this one enjoy
Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Oh, that is funny. :)
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Did you go to italy for thise Saponara Di Grumneto records of Carmela?
Marty

Marty
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Marty - do you mean the records on my g-grandmother Maria Carmela Lattoraca?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

yes did you have someone get them for you
Marty

Marty
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

No...I am very fortunate that the records for that part of Potenza have been not only microfilmed, but digitized and are available online at Ancestry.com.

Do you have family from Saponara di Grumento?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I kinda thought they were digitized very clear they have done a terrific job on them...Most of my relatives come from Palermo either the town of Trabia or San Nicolo small towns but Ive been lucky with the FSL with microfilms some readable some soiled and hard to read. Thanks for the chat

Marty

Marty