Surname: Maimone Need Help/Suggestions With Manifest

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Surname: Maimone Need Help/Suggestions With Manifest

Post by maestra36 »

Tricia,
did you ever find the family on the 1920 census? On this census, his mother, Mary, age 75, had alien status. Because of her age, it is more than likely that she never naturalized. She was widowed by the time of this census. The last two people listed are boarders. This census gives the son Antonio's birthplace as Pennsylvania.

Name Prospero Maimone
Residence , Berks, Pennsylvania
Estimated Birth Year 1869
Age 51
Birthplace Italy
Relationship to Head of Household Self
Gender Male
Race White
Marital Status Married
Father's Birthplace Italy
Mother's Birthplace Italy
Film Number 1821535
Digital Folder Number 4384987
Image Number 00267
Sheet Number 3
HouseholdGenderAge
Prospero Maimone M 51y
Spouse Stella Maimone F 44y
Child Antonio Maimone M 20y
Child Joseph Maimone M 19y
Child Florence Maimone F 15y
Child Frank Maimone M 13y
Child Lewis Maimone M 11y
Child Peter Maimone M 9y
Child John Maimone M 6y
Parent Mary Maimone F 75y
William Falk M 32y
Joseph Dorazio M 38y

If you haven't located this census, possibly someone can upload a copy of it for you.

Peg
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Thank you, yes I do have that census as well as the 1900 and 1910. I located those two yesterday. Antonio, Prospero's son, was born in the US but Prospero's father Antonio was born in Italy. :)

Thank you!
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Ancestors From: Montecalvo Irpino, Roccanova, Villa Oliveti
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Tricia
I'm glad you already found the 1920 census and did get those naturalization papers.
Peg
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Tricia, I am so glad I could help! There are records from Roccanova available at Ancestry...please let me know if I can help further. :)
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

maestra36 wrote: Antonio Maimone, the son of Eleanora,
Can someone explain to me (I've never seen this before) why Antonio's mother is named instead of his father?
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Debi, so funny you mentioned that you got the birth act on Ancestry because that was going to be my next question to you! LOL! I am on Ancestry as well. :)

Thank you! Have a great day!
- Tricia
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

DebiHarbuck wrote:
maestra36 wrote: Antonio Maimone, the son of Eleanora,
Can someone explain to me (I've never seen this before) why Antonio's mother is named instead of his father?
My guess is that he was of an unknown father and that, at birth, he had been given the surname of his mother. You would need to locate his birth record to confirm my suspicion.

Peg
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Ah. Unfortunately, the posted birth records at Ancestry only go back to 1870 (so far, anyway) for Roccanova.
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Deb, Did you pull Prospero's birth act from Ancestry? I have been trying to do so but cannot locate it? I have searched with both his first and last name under Roccanova and Potenza files but come up empty. Please let me know. thank you!
- Tricia
Tricia Fierro
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Tricia, the records are not indexed, so they aren't going to show up in any searches. Here's how to find them:

1) Go to Ancestry's home page
2) Roll over the drop-down box at that says "Search"
3) Choose the last option: "Card Catalog"
4) In the left column, scroll down to the "Filter by Location" option
5) Choose Europe, then Italy, then Basilicata, then Potenza
6) In the main frame of the page choose the first option (....Civil Registrations)
7) IMPORTANT: Click the button at the top right that says "ADD TO QUICK LINKS" - otherwise you have to repeat 1 through 6 every time (and, yes, it took me a awhile to figure that out :) )

8) Now, on the right hand side of the page, you can use the "Browse this image set" options to navigate to the records for Roccanova.

I noticed yesterday when I was pulling that birth act that the good gentleman of Roccanova who created the original indexes did so by FIRST names, not last. In the 1869 "Indice Annuale Nascite" you will find Prospero Maimone under "P", not "M." On the bright side, Roccanova was(is?) a very small town; the entire index is only two pages long. This was my first foray into the records of Roccanova (my own Roccanova family lived about 50km away, in Craco) so I do not know how many of the indexes are like that.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

microfilmed records for the town go from 1809 to 1929-not as easy as getting online records, but certainly an alternative if the years you need are not online

Registri dello stato civile di Roccanova (Potenza), 1809-1929

https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Orderi ... ory_Center
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

maestra36 wrote: My guess is that he was of an unknown father and that, at birth, he had been given the surname of his mother. You would need to locate his birth record to confirm my suspicion.

Peg
Can it be assumed, since only her first name is given, that she is Elenora Maimone? Or, again, is Antonio's birth records necessary to know for certain?
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

That's my guess, Debi. That Eleanora's last name is Maimone, but Antonio's birth record would have to be found to confirm that. I always like to have documents to prove or disprove my educated guesses.

I am just surprised that the marriage record doesn't say unknown or uncertain father. Normally it would read padre ignoto or padre incerto and then give the mother's first and last names.

Peg
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

maestra36 wrote:That's my guess, Debi. That Eleanora's last name is Maimone, but Antonio's birth record would have to be found to confirm that. I always like to have documents to prove or disprove my educated guesses.

Peg
Me, too. :) I was mostly wondering what the law and/or prevailing custom was. Seems like, again, this record doesn't conform. :lol:

I am curious...what does the notation in the right-hand column of the second page of the birth act say?
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Debi thanks so much for the detailed directions! I will definitely use it and see if I can find other records for other locales in Italy where I am searching as well.
Peg, I have a familly history center near me and have visited it before so thank you for the link for the microfilm. I can seqarch their records at the center. :)
Unfortunately I have some appts today to attend to so I must take a break until this afternoon...ha! This is definitely an addiction at this point :)
Thanks to all,
Tricia
Tricia Fierro