LDS Film question

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

LDS Film question

Post by bkworm10 »

I'm thinking about ordering the Accettura, Italy film tonight at the LDS center, since it seems my entire Italian ancestors are from Accettura. However, I don't know what I will find? For instance, what is Processetti and Pubblicazioni? Here is the web link of the film:

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... +Accettura++

Will this be worth my while? Will I learn anything useful? What exactly am I going to get? Or am I better off ordering individual years of Accettura that I can find on other films with other towns? I get less years, but at least I get birth and marriage info.

Thanks!
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: LDS Film question

Post by maestra36 »

Processetti are marriage packages, so to speak. They should have birth records for the bride and groom, publications of marriage (which are like the banns of marriage, death records for previous spouses, death records for parents, etc). There should be a cover sheet separating the records for one couple from those of another, but that is not always the case. Also sometimes you don't get all of these records with the processetti. You won't know until you order the microfilm and look at it. If ordering processetti microfilm, order based on the year or estimated year of marriage.

Peg
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

processetti matrimoniali: documents required by the
civil authority for marriage (also called
allegati): birth certificates (atti di nascita) of
the spouses (and for when weddings took place only
at church: proof of baptism); death certificates
of deceased parents (atti di morte) (and when a
father was deceased, also the death certificate of
his father), since people, regardless of their
age, could not marry without parental consent;
summary of the marriage banns (pubblicazioni) with
testimony that they had been posted for the period
required by law; and for when weddings took place
only at church: a notation (indicazione) by the
parish priest that the wedding had taken place.
The decision of a Consiglio di famiglia also
belongs among the processetti. See atto di
matrimonio and atto della solenne promessa, and
this description of the role of processetti in
family history research.
It really depends upon how specific your needs are. If you have a specific matrimony you seek, the Processetti or allegati will provide you with copies of all of the documents associated with that wedding.

If you seek specific births (nati)
or deaths (morti)
or marriage certificate (atti di matrimonio)
then these are the record classifications to pursue.

You will not find much value in the pubblicazione, since it is only a public notice of the intent to marry.

If you order a film with allegati registers, the info will be extensive, but the numbers of records/film is greatly reduced due to the number of documents in each record.

Good luck.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Whoops, sorry, Peg :)
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

There are other kinds of records you might find with the processetti such as a record which is a statement of the groom's freedom to marry-it states that he has no military, religious, or other marital obligations and is free to marry. In my one ancestral town, this type of record was often part of the marriage processetti.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

That was great that you posted that Jim. I didn't mention the family council record, for example. That would only be a record you would get if both parents of one of the spouses is deceased. Family members would then convene to discuss the merits of their family member entering into the marriage. Is the potential spouse of good moral character? if a male relative, does the potential bride have a sufficient dowry to bring to the marriage? After the deliberations were complete, family members would then give their consent to the marriage.
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bkworm10 »

Thanks everyone. I have no marriage records from Accettura, yet. I did send away for one, but they sent me the groom's birth record instead. Maybe they didn't understand my Italian letter. I do have approximate years of marriage, so i will give it a try. Thanks for the thorough explanations.

Annette
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Good luck, Annette.
Peg