Detailed maps for south of lucca province?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Apples
Rookie
Rookie

Detailed maps for south of lucca province?

Post by Apples »

I am going to make the trip to Italy and try some research first hand.

The areas that my ancestors came from are quite remote and not shown on google maps.

Does anyone know where I can buy detailed maps of the area south of Lucca?
(around Coselli area)
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Re: Detailed maps for south of lucca province?

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Ciao Apples,

Hopefully someone can point you to a website, but worse comes to worse you ought to be able to purchase one in Lucca once you arrive.

BTW, my ancestors come from Lucca and Pistoia, nice to see another fellow researcher of Tuscan geneaology on the site. Good luck and have a nice trip, if you haven't been Lucca is beautiful. Ciao.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
Apples
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Apples »

Thanks ForzaItaliaPgh.
I am already really excited and I am not going till April!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Apples wrote:Thanks ForzaItaliaPgh.
I am already really excited and I am not going till April!
If you have a reasonably up-to-date computer, give Google Earth a try (link in my signature block below).
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Apples
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Apples »

Thanks Carmine - it is amazing how close in you can get with Google Earth. I will enjoy having a good look around the area with the application.

I still need to find a detailed map though - one that has enough detail to locate and name mountain tracks and remote houses/farms.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

You might try contacting the Capannori tourist office to see if they can mail you some materials including local maps. See http://www.comune.capannori.lu.it/node/844

As you probably know, Coselli is a frazione of Capannori; interestingly, Capannori is most definitely east of Lucca, not south. And yet, searches for Coselli inevitably place it south of Lucca. It appears to me that these searches are zeroing in on Via Coselli ("Coselli Street") and not necessarily Coselli, the frazione of Capannori.

Which brings us to the question, where exactly is it that you need to go?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Apples
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Apples »

Thanks I will give that a try :-)

I am particularly wanting to look at the Coselli valley towards malavolta.
You are right Google's map does not show Coselli itself - which from another map I found appears to be the built up area west of Guamo.

The church of St Lucia is south of this - in the long thin bit between the trees. I think this may be 'old' Coselli while the built up area is the modern town.

I would like to have more detail of the area between the church and malavolta which doesn't even have a road to it according to google maps - but you can see the road is there on the satellite pictures!

I would also like to have a map so that I can send the family off walking/biking while my mum and I go researching.