Murder of Serafino Fazzani

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
sonson

Murder of Serafino Fazzani

Post by sonson »

Has anyone information as to the result of the trail of Gino Ferrari. He was arrested in 1917 in Castelnuovo di Garfagnana Provincia di Lucca, Regione di Toscana, for Serafino's murder in London, England in 1913 but I have been unable to find the result of the trail in Italy.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Murder of Serafino Fazzani

Post by maestra36 »

I tried searching on various Italian search engines and didn't find anything on either name or the trial. Did you try to see if any old London newspapers had write-ups about the trial and its outcome? I don't know if there are any such newspapers online though. Possibly someone else does.
Peg
sonson

Post by sonson »

Thanks for trying. I have all the Police reports and news paper reports from the U.K. side.They end when Gino was arrested in Italy and I understand from the reports that he would be tried in Italy, but I have been unable to trace anything on this. I only hope someone can come up with something.
Sonia
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Try here: http://www.archiviolastampa.it/
It is an archive of articles from the major Italian newspaper "La Stampa" dating back into the 1860's. Buona Fortuna.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
sonson

Post by sonson »

Thanks for the information, but I have been unable to trace anything about Gino or Serafino. Just have to keep at it.
SonSon
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

sonson wrote:Has anyone information as to the result of the trail of Gino Ferrari. He was arrested in 1917 in Castlenova for Serafino's murder in London, England in 1913 but I have been unable to find the result of the trail in Italy.
There is no "Castlenova" in Italy that I am aware of. As you can see from the list below, there are many possible comuni to choose from. If you can narrow the search to the correct comune, one of our Italian members may be able to guide you in seeking court records.

Comune di Castelnovo Bariano, Provincia di Rovigo, Regione di Veneto, Northeastern Italy

Comune di Castelnovo del Friuli, Provincia di Pordenone, Regione di Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Northeastern Italy

Comune di Castelnovo di Sotto, Provincia di Reggio Emilia, Regione di Emilia-Romagna, Northeastern Italy

Comune di Castelnovo Ne' Monti, Provincia di Reggio Emilia, Regione di Emilia-Romagna, Northeastern Italy

Comune di Castelnuovo, Provincia di Trento, Regione di Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol, Northeastern Italy

Comune di Castelnuovo Belbo, Provincia di Asti, Regione di Piemonte, Northwestern Italy

Comune di Castelnuovo Berardenga, Provincia di Siena, Regione di Toscana, Central Italy

Comune di Castelnuovo Bocca d'Adda, Provincia di Lodi, Regione di Lombardia, Northwestern Italy

Comune di Castelnuovo Bormida, Provincia di Alessandria, Regione di Piemonte, Northwestern Italy

Comune di Castelnuovo Bozzente, Provincia di Como, Regione di Lombardia, Northwestern Italy

Comune di Castelnuovo Calcea, Provincia di Asti, Regione di Piemonte, Northwestern Italy

Comune di Castelnuovo Cilento, Provincia di Salerno, Regione di Campania, Southern Italy

Comune di Castelnuovo del Garda, Provincia di Verona, Regione di Veneto, Northeastern Italy

Comune di Castelnuovo della Daunia, Provincia di Foggia, Regione di Puglia, Southern Italy

Comune di Castelnuovo di Ceva, Provincia di Cuneo, Regione di Piemonte, Northwestern Italy

Comune di Castelnuovo di Conza, Provincia di Salerno, Regione di Campania, Southern Italy

Comune di Castelnuovo di Farfa, Provincia di Rieti, Regione di Lazio, Central Italy

Comune di Castelnuovo di Garfagnana, Provincia di Lucca, Regione di Toscana, Central Italy

Comune di Castelnuovo di Porto, Provincia di Roma, Regione di Lazio, Central Italy

Comune di Castelnuovo di Val di Cecina, Provincia di Pisa, Regione di Toscana, Central Italy

Comune di Castelnuovo Don Bosco, Provincia di Asti, Regione di Piemonte, Northwestern Italy

Comune di Castelnuovo Magra, Provincia di La Spezia, Regione di Liguria, Northwestern Italy

Comune di Castelnuovo Nigra, Provincia di Torino, Regione di Piemonte, Northwestern Italy

Comune di Castelnuovo Parano, Provincia di Frosinone, Regione di Lazio, Central Italy

Comune di Castelnuovo Rangone, Provincia di Modena, Regione di Emilia-Romagna, Northeastern Italy

Comune di Castelnuovo Scrivia, Provincia di Alessandria, Regione di Piemonte, Northwestern Italy
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

In the White pages there are only 4 Fazzani. 2 of them are in Province of Lucca (Toscana), 1 in Massa which is still in Toscana and 1 in province of Milano (Lombardia). I believe you can narrow down your research to

Castelnuovo Berardenga, Provincia di Siena,
Castelnuovo di Garfagnana, Provincia di Lucca,
Castelnuovo di Val di Cecina, Provincia di Pisa
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello, you need to contact Archivio di Stato di Lucca http://www.archiviodistatoinlucca.it/ , and send an inquiry in order to know about the trial, how it ended, year of conviction, you can also request the prison record and the documents about the trial. I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
sonson wrote:Has anyone information as to the result of the trail of Gino Ferrari. He was arrested in 1917 in Castelnuovo di Garfagnana Provincia di Lucca, Regione di Toscana, for Serafino's murder in London, England in 1913 but I have been unable to find the result of the trail in Italy.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

sonson wrote:Thanks for the information, but I have been unable to trace anything about Gino or Serafino. Just have to keep at it.
SonSon
This is the link to the newspaper articles about the Murder:

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/componen ... news,true/

title:
Tragica rissa tra confettieri italiani.

http://www.archiviolastampa.it/componen ... news,true/

title:
La deposizione alla corte di Londra per l'assassinio del confettiere italiano

Don't know if could be helpful but from this second article it seems that Gino Ferrari was the brother in law of Serafino Fazzani (Serafino's wife Gesuina was Gino Ferrari's sister; Serafino was from Reggio Emilia, most likely from that area)

Laura
sonson

Post by sonson »

Laura
Thanks for the info. Found the article. I have all the details of those involved as they are all part of my family, but this is the first time I have found it mentioned in Italy as he was never deported to England to stand trail, which I understand, as he would have been hanged. It would just be nice to close the story with his trail. Thanks again
Sonia
sonson

Post by sonson »

Laura
Thanks for the info. Found the article. I have all the details of those involved as they are all part of my family, but this is the first time I have found it mentioned in Italy as he was never deported to England to stand trail, which I understand, as he would have been hanged. It would just be nice to close the story with his trail. Thanks again
Sonia
Sonya06

Post by Sonya06 »

Gino Ferrari was my great grandmothers first husband. they were married for around 5 months before he shot Serafino and then fled without her to Italy. I dont know about the trial but it is rumoured he joined the Italian army in the firt world war. Searfino was his business partner of a cafe/soft drinks shop and my great grandmother Florence lived next door at the Butchers.
Florence Ferrari (born West, later Osborne) later gave my grandad Fredrick Ferrari up for adoption to Salvatore Russo before remarrying probably due to the shame of being a single mother or Gino murdering. Gino's name is not on the birth certificate and my great grandfather was born after the shooting - so we doubt he is the father. Unless Florence tracked him down later.
this link talks breifly about Florence or Lizzie as she is known and mentions the shooting http://kriste.co.uk/220.html
We are trying to find out who Fredrick Ferriari (later Fredrick Russo) real dad is. So if any of these names ring a bell please do let me know. I would also like to know if you have any updates or if I ca get a copy of the newspaper/ police records.

Good Luck

Sonya Russo
sonson

Post by sonson »

Hi Sonya
I was very interested in your message. You can get a copy of the Police Files through the National Archives in Richmond, Surrey but sorry to say it will cost about £50.00. I did get a copy and it was very interesting reading. When you get a copy you have to sign a form stating you will not use it or copy it, but I have done a sort of resume of all the papers as it was a very interesting story. Yes Gino did get away first to France and then to Italy where he joined the army to fight in the war. It was not until 1917 that he was arrested. From then on when making enquiries I seem to get the run a round and have not been able to find out if he ever went to court. He was never deported here to stand trail as it was sure he would be hanged for the murder as the files show it was pre-meditated. When he on the run he did write letters to his sister and Florence. He also stated he wanted he son to be brought up in Italy by his parents and stated he would have him kidnaped. The son was called Falda and was born in July 1913, as you say a couple of days before the murder. I take it Fredrick is not Falda and if so what happened to Falda?. In the Police reports it would appear Florence had a couple of gentlemen friends who helped her with the shops,mostly italians, but no names were given.I did know Gino had re married, but not who it was. If you let me have your e-mail address I might be able to help you more. I will do some searches and see if I can find out about your Fredrick. Hope this helps. my e-mail is

sr.heales@btinternet.com