Birth Certificate from Luzerne County, PA

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
pldestef

Birth Certificate from Luzerne County, PA

Post by pldestef »

Earlier this year I requested the birth certificate of my grandfather from the Luzerne County (PA) Clerk's Office to start gathering the paperwork needed to establish Italian citizenship.

They sent me a certified birth certificate for my grandfather, however, the name in the docket does not match his name whatsoever; nor is his father's name correct. I have heard that this can be a serious problem when applying for citizenship.

I have a feeling the clerk may have had difficulty reading the older handwriting found in the docket as he didn't seem to be the sharpest individual when I spoke to him on the phone.

When I asked if I could come and see the docket they said that would be fine but I was not allowed to make a copy of the ledger. Does anyone know if that is true- why can't public records be photocopied?

What can I do to get through this first obstacle?

Would church baptismal records be a possible avenue to establish that they are the same people?

Any advice is appreciated!
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Birth Certificate from Luzerne County, PA

Post by juanminbar »

Does anyone know if that is true- why can't public records be photocopied?

one reason is due to the sheet becoming quite brittle. just trying to preserve the data until everything is photographed.

jt
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rodio »

I had to get records from Luzerne Co. as well. They told me a marriage record I was looking for did not exist--I had to get the microfilms from the local LDS family history center, find the record, then send a copy of the record to get the cert I needed. If you live close enough to pay them a visit in person, do it. Find the correct record and ask them to fill out a proper BC. Take your receipt from your first try; they shouldn't charge you if the mistake is theirs. It should be easier than looking at films. In your case, it sounds like they made the mistake.

Buona fortuna
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

many of the records for luzerne county are housed at a different location.

john
pldestef

Post by pldestef »

juanminbar- do you know if birth records before from 1905 would be at a different location?

What questions should I be asking of the Register of Wills?
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

i will inquire next monday and get back to you.

john
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

While I was researching another part of my family I tried to find records in Luzerne County prior to 1885. After a while the various clerks I spoke with talked with me as to where records are stored. It seems they are stored in many basements around the area. In fact, what I was looking for were in boxes which had no organization whatsoever. They would have to go through box by box to locate anything. These records are "some day" to put in order. What I also found is that very few, if any, retained many records prior to 1885. The records from then to about 1910 were similarly kept in such disorder as well especially if you wanted a copy. Much easier to take the information from some ledger than to find the actual record.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

juanminbar- do you know if birth records before from 1905 would be at a different location?

What questions should I be asking of the Register of Wills?\===============================================

good morning, i contacted (phone 570-825-1500) wilkes barre register of wills. they have birth records 1893 to 1905.
located at penn place: 20 n. pennsylvania avenue.

good luck, john
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

below is access to luzerne county.

http://www.luzernecounty.org/county/row ... _of_courts

john
pldestef

Post by pldestef »

Thanks John!

I will report back after I make the trip to Luzerne County.

Best,

Paula