Surname BERTOLDI and PENDENZA

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
julianafa

Surname BERTOLDI and PENDENZA

Post by julianafa »

Looking for family of my Grandmother and Grandfather : Teresa Pendenza who married Dominico Antonio Bertoldi in Italy. They came to USA around 1900. There were 2 brothers that came as well Angelo and Vincent Pendenza and I know there was a brother in Italy named Peter. My father Filipo Bertoldi was born in 10 Dec 1914. Other children were Egisto, Lidia, Amalia, Tecla and Armida. Any and all Information would be appreciated.
Juliana Teresa (Bertoldi) Farrell
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Surname BERTOLDI and PENDENZA

Post by mfjp »

Hi Juliana,

Do you know where in Italy they were from, and where they settled in the USA?

mfjp
julianafa

Post by julianafa »

Not sure of town but I think it was northern Italy. My grandmother's family still had a villa there in the seventies. They settled in Yonkers, New York. Grandfather was born ion 16 sept 1881. I think my grandmother was born around 1890. Thanks for your response.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Just been doing a quick search... what I have noticed is the name Bertoldi does exist in the Trento area (north Italy).... as well as L'Aquila...(central Italy)

Doing a search of the Pendenza surname now brings me back to the same towns in the L'Aquila area as well...

Did find a 1903 manifest of a Domenico Bertoldi, (from Sorbo-L'Aquila area) going to New York, born 1880... but single :( .. going to cousin Fiorangelo, Bertoldi. Would that name sound familiar?...

There is a manifest of a Pietro and Antonio Pendenza... also going to "Ianchers" (Yonkers) to join Cesidio Agostino http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2237060037&

Can someone figure out the town they were from? Paggia??

According to the 1930 census, he we went by the name Antonio as well... says that he immigrated in 1903. Teresa's year of immigration was hard to read... Census also mentions the 2 brother in laws Pendenza Vince (age 27 single -imm. in 1911) and Angelo age 46 single, imm. in 1911 or 1908, living with them... along with the other names you mentioned...

Have you seen this particular census?

mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

mfjp wrote:Just been doing a quick search... what I have noticed is the name Bertoldi does exist in the Trento area (north Italy).... as well as L'Aquila...(central Italy)

Doing a search of the Pendenza surname now brings me back to the same towns in the L'Aquila area as well...

Did find a 1903 manifest of a Domenico Bertoldi, (from Sorbo-L'Aquila area) going to New York, born 1880... but single :( .. going to cousin Fiorangelo, Bertoldi. Would that name sound familiar?...

There is a manifest of a Pietro and Antonio Pendenza... also going to "Ianchers" (Yonkers) to join Cesidio Agostino http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2237060037&

Can someone figure out the town they were from? Paggia??

According to the 1930 census, he we went by the name Antonio as well... says that he immigrated in 1903. Teresa's year of immigration was hard to read... Census also mentions the 2 brother in laws Pendenza Vince (age 27 single -imm. in 1911) and Angelo age 46 single, imm. in 1911 or 1908, living with them... along with the other names you mentioned...

Have you seen this particular census?

mfjp
The town is POGGIO FILIPPO in L'Aquila province... suanj
julianafa

Post by julianafa »

I have all the information posted but have not been able to get past their immigration to go further back. I guess I am not sure how to get information from Italy. When I go to surname search both Bertoldi and Pendenza come up but am unable to email when I click on the names. Both come up in POGGIO FILIPPO. That is more than I had yesterday. Need advise where to turn.

Thanks
Juliana
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:11 pm 
I have all the information posted but have not been able to get past their immigration to go further back.
Granted... but we have only seen your family information for one day.... There is a person who posted at this forum about 4 times... and each time she added just a little more information. She took a break from each post and always reposted because she had faith in all the volunteers. I can say to this day, she now has solid direction as to what she should research.
I guess I am not sure how to get information from Italy. When I go to surname search both Bertoldi and Pendenza come up but am unable to email when I click on the names.
I don't understand... where are you doing this surname search? Are you talking about the surnames in the Italian Surname data base this forum has provided? Either way, I will check it out myself.... as I have contributed many surnames myself.... and not one reply... :? Do people even use the surname data base?... something to look into...
I guess I am not sure how to get information from Italy.
www.familysearch.org is your best bet if you do know the town your ancestors came from... here is a link to some very helpful info.

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=2581

Also, if Poggio Filippo is your ancestral town, you are in luck, film to research from is available from 1857 to 1809... (just remember, a death in 1809 will give you information all the way back to about 1725!!) ...

Here is a link of the film info...
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++

I wrote....
Did find a 1903 manifest of a Domenico Bertoldi, (from Sorbo-L'Aquila area) going to New York, born 1880... but single .. going to cousin Fiorangelo, Bertoldi. Would that name sound familiar?...
You never answered my question! This manifest does not link properly at the Ellis Island website, but I was able to find it through other sources... here it is anyways... http://img52.exs.cx/img52/3092/dombertoldi7ia.jpg last gentleman...

You might try this site http://ssdi.rootsweb.com/ and just enter the surname... you will get about 145 Bertoldi... here is one of a Teresa... but not sure if she is yours... but please read the information on that site for further details.

Name Birth Death Last Residence Last Benefit SSN Issued
TERESA BERTOLDI 07 May 1894 Aug 1975 81089 (Walsenburg, Huerfano, CO) (none specified) 523-70-9601 Colorado

You may consider getting their SSDI info... there is a very well written post about the SSDI by another forum member... I will look for it.

What you might do is provide other surnames common from your family... and then research their surnames... post them here if you wish. I am sure you will get a reply.

I don't know... but for some reason, I don't think that Teresa + DomenicoAntonio were married in Italy.... I could be wrong... 8O

According to the 1920 census, Egisto age 8 -was born in 1912... was he the first child born? Teresa would have been 31 years old in 1912 as well...

According to the census, it says that "Anthony" immigrated in 1903.. Maybe he just went back and forth to Italy... Could you make out what her immigration year was??

mfjp
julianafa

Post by julianafa »

Fiorangelo, Bertoldi doesn't sound familiar but that doesn't mean he wasn't a relative. My grandfather was born in 1881 but the records state 1880 they could be wrong, he died in 1945.

I understand that everyone is trying to help and I do appreciate any help I can get. I was just trying to say that I have gotten as far back as 1903 was when both of my grandparents came to this country but have been unable to get anywhere as far as their parents and siblings in Italy and as someone who is new to this I didn't know where to go next. The manifest always goes to another ship and doesn't list my grandfather.

Egisto was the first child but my grandmother Teresa was born in 1889 and only lived in NY after she came to the US.

The surname search I am referring to is at this site. The surname Bertoldi and Pendenza each come up but when I click on either one I can't send a message. I thought that was what I was supposed to do. Maybe I don't know how it works.

POGGIO FILLIPO I believe is the town/area they came from. I remember my father talking about Sorbo. I will check with a cousin of mine he probably has that info.

I thank you for the sites and reply I will check them out

Juliana
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi again,

Will send you a private message! :wink:
ggiusti

Post by ggiusti »

I just found this site.
My grandmother was from Poggio Filippo. Her maiden name was Angelina Pendenza. She married my grandfather-Franco Giusti. He came to the USA around 1900. Angelina and my father, Ennio, came over in the 20's.
I have visited some relatives also from Poggio, Nazzarino Pendenza, who lived in San Francisco, and another Pendenza who lived in Cal
julianafa

Post by julianafa »

My grandfather Dominico Bertoldi originally came to US in 1903 apparently he wasn't married at that time I don't know if he went back and married my grandmother Teresa Pendenza or if she came here and they married. I know she had at least 3 brothers Vincent Angelo and Peter. I really don't know any more. I don't know where my grandfather was from except Italy. They lived in Yonkers New York and had 7 children one of which died at a very young age. Perhaps your pendenza's are a cocnnection. do you have any more information?
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Juliana.

I would like to introduce you to E L R E Z A !!!!! ????? :P :P :P :P :P :P

AS TRANSCRIBED.......

First Name: Elreza
Last Name: Bendenza
Ethnicity: Italy North
Last Place of Residence: Aquila, Loeba
Date of Arrival: March 18, 1911
Age at Arrival:  28y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  M  
Ship of Travel: Regina d Italia
Port of Departure: Genoa
Manifest Line Number: 0005

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 1158%2ETIF

page 2
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 4413030012&

According to this manifest....

DomenicoAntonio’s father in Italy is named PAOLO

Teresa’s father is FILIPPO

Teresa’s brother Vincenzo and Angelo (both single) are on the same ship and are clearly her brothers.

Bartolomeo Bertoldi who also travels with them, is a cousin to DomAnt., his father is named Vincenzo.

They are all on their way to Yonkers.

DomAnt. is going to his brother Pietro’s home... in fact all 4 are going to ...1253 ??? Main St. Yonkers, NY

This would be a first trip for Teresa and her brothers.

Cousin Bart was there from 1904 to 1910

DomAnt from 1905?? to 1910

Also, was a town nearby named after one or your ancestors?

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/euro ... es=1&ovi=0

mfjp

P.S.... it is nice to see who your own father was named after too!!
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Great find mfjp! You have a real talent for finding passenger records. I can't imagine how much time you spend looking for records. Your skills are a blessing to this site.

Debbie
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

There is a town called Tagliacozzo which is minutes away - west from Sorbo and Poggia where I had the good fortune of visiting. I went to Mass at the Santuario di Maria SS. dell'Oriente... what a spectacular view from the balcony there. And then you wonder, how on earth did they build this place??

As for the manifest finds, sometimes it takes minutes, and then there are those that can take hours... days... but the learning that comes from it is priceless. I even try to imagine at times what it must have been like to travel in “Steerageâ€Â
catb

Post by catb »

I began my search for Bertoldi history in Febuary 2010. My grandfather Simplicio (Simpilizio in Italian records) was born in Sorbo, Tagliacozzo, Italy on August 25 1886 and went to America in Feburary 1915. He lists his nearest relative in Italy as wife Elvira in Sorbo. His US military draft registration lists a wife and child and states that he was Alpini in Italian Army. Simplicio lived in Yonkers upon arrival. Simplicio's father was Vincenzo Bertoldi born Tagliacozzo January 6, 1842. He was the son of Giandomenico Bertold and Maria Nicola Ulpiani.I have not been able to find their place of birth as yet. If anyone has any information on them please let me know. His mother Maria Domenica Salvatore was born in Tagliacozzo in 1845.They were married in Tagliacozzo in 1869. Maria was the daughter Giannicola Salvatore and Maria Mastrocesare. Simplicio's wife Elvira Pendenza was born to Fillipo Pendenza and Angela Carisci in 1886. I find no record so far of Simplicio and Elvira's child but I am sending for that information. Simplicio had several brothers and sisters but I will go into that later.any response will be helpful.
Sincerely,
Catb
PS. Susan F. we corresponded on Ancestry please reply if you see this. message