Birth Certificate ... Cosenza, Italy

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
musaccosteve
Veteran
Veteran

Birth Certificate ... Cosenza, Italy

Post by musaccosteve »

I am trying to obtain a birth certificate for my grandmother who was born in Cosenza, Italy on or about March 15, 1878. Her name was Theresa Galarsa. Who do I write to make this request?

Thank you,

Steve
vj
Master
Master

Re: Birth Certificate ... Cosenza, Italy

Post by vj »

musaccosteve wrote:I am trying to obtain a birth certificate for my grandmother who was born in Cosenza, Italy on or about March 15, 1878. Her name was Theresa Galarsa. Who do I write to make this request?...

Italian form letter generator with instructions:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Or other helpful form letters:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

Address:

Comune di Cosenza
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza dei Bruzi
87100 Cosenza CS
ITALY

http://www.tuttitalia.it/calabria/45-cosenza/
---

Website for finding comune addresses:
http://www.nonsolocap.it/
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

My question to the poster is was she born in the town of Cosenza or in another town within the province of Cosenza?

I also do not see the surname as spelled (Galarsa) existing in the current Italian white pages and am wondering if it changed in spelling from whatever the original surname was. Possibly it originally was something like Galassia or Galassa?
musaccosteve
Veteran
Veteran

Post by musaccosteve »

Maestra36,

The information on my father's birth certificate list her last name as Galarsa. On my father's death certificate it is listed as Galasso. Also, on her death certificate, according to archives.com, her mother's maiden name is Golosso, and her date of birth was listed as March 1, 1878.

On her graveyard headstone, her name is listed as Theresa Musacco, which is my father's surname and her husband's name (i.e., my grandfather) Domenico Musacco... born in Bari, Italy on April 8, 1874. On her naturalization card her name is listed as Teresa Musacco, and her date of birth was listed as March 15, 1878.

On ancestry.com, it is noted that she arrived in the U.S. from Italy on August 8, 1913, as Teresa Musacco, on the Princess Irene, but I can't find the manifest. Moreover, it was noted on ancestry.com that her birth location was Cosenza. Any help of finding an image of the manifest would be very much appreciated. I also need to locate the the marriage certificate for her and my late grandfather Domenico Musacco. Any help with this will also be appreciated. I am clueless when and where they got married. Since he was from Bari, it may had been there????

Thank you for your help.

Steve

Maestra36 wrote: My question to the poster is was she born in the town of Cosenza or in another town within the province of Cosenza?

I also do not see the surname as spelled (Galarsa) existing in the current Italian white pages and am wondering if it changed in spelling from whatever the original surname was. Possibly it originally was something like Galassia or Galassa?
musaccosteve
Veteran
Veteran

Post by musaccosteve »

Maestra36,

The information on my father's birth certificate list her last name as Galarsa. On my father's death certificate it is listed as Galasso. Also, on her death certificate, according to archives.com, her mother's maiden name is Golosso, and her date of birth was listed as March 1, 1878.

On her graveyard headstone, her name is listed as Theresa Musacco, which is my father's surname and her husband's name (i.e., my grandfather) Domenico Musacco... born in Bari, Italy on April 8, 1874. On her naturalization card her name is listed as Teresa Musacco, and her date of birth was listed as March 15, 1878.

On ancestry.com, it is noted that she arrived in the U.S. from Italy on August 8, 1913, as Teresa Musacco, on the Princess Irene, but I can't find the manifest. Moreover, it was noted on ancestry.com that her birth location was Cosenza. Any help of finding an image of the manifest would be very much appreciated. I also need to locate the the marriage certificate for her and my late grandfather Domenico Musacco. Any help with this will also be appreciated. I am clueless when and where they got married. Since he was from Bari, it may had been there????

Thank you for your help.

Steve

Maestra36 wrote: My question to the poster is was she born in the town of Cosenza or in another town within the province of Cosenza?

musaccosteve
Veteran
Veteran

Post by musaccosteve »

Thank you, VJ.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Check out these two sites:

http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces

http://poster.beniculturali.it/poster/action.do

The latter one appears to be a new version (released?) of the first (test?). Create a free account on both (you can use the same username/password for convenience), then start searching.

Each of the two sites has certain advantages over the other. The second site in particular has an extremely useful tool not available on the first, as follows:

From the home page, click the "Places" icon, then enter Cosneza (for example) in the search box. Click the "cosenza" link in the Results List and then click the "View people associated with this term" link which appears on the next page. From here you can scroll through all the names of persons associated with (born in?) the chosen comune between 1800 and 1900 +/-.

If this doesn't work out (I tried; didn't come up with a likely candidate for your Teresa), it may be because she was not born in Comune di Cosenza, but rather in the province of Cosenza. The only option you have then is to try searching on every surname spelling variation you can think of - the first site linked to above is much better for this type of search because it is easier to link one name to another. For example, if you had another family name (husband, in-law, etc), using the first site above you may be able to zero in on Teresa's real name through family tie-ins.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Here's the 1913 manifest you referenced for Teresa; however, it is not for your Teresa since age/year of birth does not match and it shows her as the wife of Francesco Musacco.

Page 1
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0029

Page 2

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

PS: When using the second site to "View people associated with this term", you will find that the list goes on for well over one thousand pages with no obvious way to jump ahead. Here is how to do it:

1) On the first page of the results, scroll to the bottom and click one of the available page numbers; "5" for example.

2) After page 5 loads, look up in the browser's address bar where you will see a URL like this:
See that "5" at the very end of the URL? Change it to 794 and hit enter. You will be taken to the page with the very first "g" surname.

Now you can use the page numbers at the bottom of the page to continue on through the rest of the G's.

PPS: Despite the site's claim to have indexed records from 1800 to 1900, my own personal experience regarding my maternal grandparents comune of Malvito is that the record completeness falls off dramatically around 1875 or so. I don't know if this pertains particularly to Malvito, or to all comunes represented in the province.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Another trick:

While viewing the "View people associated with this term" list, click the "Date of Birth" column heading one time to sort by date of birth. Now, use the trick in my previous message to jump directly to page 1811 of the results where you will find (on page 1811 and 1812) all the persons born in Cosenza in March, 1878.

My suspicion is that your Teresa was not born in Comune di Cosenza, but in one of the many surrounding comuni. Do you have any other family surnames that we might use to link up to Teresa?
Carmine

musaccosteve
Veteran
Veteran

Post by musaccosteve »

Biff83 wrote:Here's the 1913 manifest you referenced for Teresa; however, it is not for your Teresa since age/year of birth does not match and it shows her as the wife of Francesco Musacco.

Page 1

Page 2

Biff
Biff and All,

The date of her given age in 1913 as 26 would match up with being born in 1887. The other issue, which I have no explanation, in the record index from ancestry.com is shows her date of arrival as August 8, 1913, not as listed on the manifest as August 7, 1913. If this was my grandmother, could she had lied about coming to America because my grandfather arrived in the U.S. in 1906 or for other reasons? How will this affect my application for Italian citizenship, if I cannot "prove" this was her.

Thank you,

Steve
musaccosteve
Veteran
Veteran

Post by musaccosteve »

There are only three names that are tied to her....

Galarsa or Galasso

Her mother's maiden name: Golosso

Marriage name in Italy ... Musacco (grandfather's name: Domenico Musacco, born in Bari, Italy on April 8, 1874.)

Could it be Glasso?
johnnyonthespot wrote:Another trick:

While viewing the "View people associated with this term" list, click the "Date of Birth" column heading one time to sort by date of birth. Now, use the trick in my previous message to jump directly to page 1811 of the results where you will find (on page 1811 and 1812) all the persons born in Cosenza in March, 1878.

My suspicion is that your Teresa was not born in Comune di Cosenza, but in one of the many surrounding comuni. Do you have any other family surnames that we might use to link up to Teresa?
musaccosteve
Veteran
Veteran

Post by musaccosteve »

Hi Carmine,

This is what I found on the first site. Does M.1 stand for March 1st. If I am correct, she married at age 21. The year shows 1875 rather 1878, but there is asterisk after the 1875. How do I get the birth and marriage certificate based on this information?

Thank you for your help.

Steve

GALASSO TERESA

Nato nel 1875* a SAN MICHELE AL TAGLIAMENTO da DOMENICO e NERI ANTONIA

Atto di matrimonio IT/ASUD/ST.CIV.UDN/LATISANA.1896/M.1.0/M-14
Istituto ARCHIVIO DI STATO - UDINE (IT)
Fondo STATO CIVILE DAL TRIBUNALE DI UDINE
Serie LATISANA 1896
Fonte Matrimoni 1
Numero Atto M-14
johnnyonthespot wrote:Check out these two sites:

http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces

http://poster.beniculturali.it/poster/action.do

The latter one appears to be a new version (released?) of the first (test?). Create a free account on both (you can use the same username/password for convenience), then start searching.

Each of the two sites has certain advantages over the other. The second site in particular has an extremely useful tool not available on the first, as follows:

From the home page, click the "Places" icon, then enter Cosneza (for example) in the search box. Click the "cosenza" link in the Results List and then click the "View people associated with this term" link which appears on the next page. From here you can scroll through all the names of persons associated with (born in?) the chosen comune between 1800 and 1900 +/-.

If this doesn't work out (I tried; didn't come up with a likely candidate for your Teresa), it may be because she was not born in Comune di Cosenza, but rather in the province of Cosenza. The only option you have then is to try searching on every surname spelling variation you can think of - the first site linked to above is much better for this type of search because it is easier to link one name to another. For example, if you had another family name (husband, in-law, etc), using the first site above you may be able to zero in on Teresa's real name through family tie-ins.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

For some reason, I am unable to access the record you found; I keep getting an error page instead. Perhaps portions of the site are temporarily offline.

At first glance, the record you found appears to be a marriage record for, I presume, Teresa Galasso. According to the record, she was born in San Michele al Tagliamento in the year 1875, her father's name was Domenico Galasso and her mother was Antonia Neri. The marriage took place in 1896; the "M" references probably refer to the volume and record number within the matrimonio civil records of 1896.

You can request Teresa's birth certificate from San Michele al Tagliamento using the following contact info:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di San Michele al Tagliamento
Piazza Libertà n. 2
30028 San Michele al Tagliamento VE
ITALY

Email: anagrafe@comunesanmichele.it (remove the spaces)
Web: http://www.comunesanmichele.it/

PS: San Michele al Tagliamento is located in Venezia/Venice, a very long way from Cosenza...
Carmine

misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Let's take it back a step. Is this your grandfather's manifest?

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0011