Spinelli, Camilli, Cameli, Malada surnames from Ascoli Picen

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
thasensei

Spinelli, Camilli, Cameli, Malada surnames from Ascoli Picen

Post by thasensei »

I am looking for any and all information on the Spinelli, Camilli, Cameli, Malada families from or around Ascoli Piceno, Italy.

My grandmother is Lucia Spinelli. She moved to the US with her mother in 1921 from the Ascoli Piceno area of Italy. Her parents are Davide Spinelli and Rosa Cameli. Davide and Rosa had children named Amos, Dominick, Lana, Amy, and Sadie.

Davide's father was Domenico Spinelli and I believe his mother was Amelia Camilli. Rosa's father was Saverin (Saverino?) Cameli and I believe her mother was Lucia Malada.

Davide Spinelli's hometown appears to be Ripatransone, Italy. Rosa's hometown appears to be Offida, Italy.

I haven't been able to find any information at all about Davide or Rosa's parents, so I'd really appreciate if anyone can help me fill in the blanks. Thanks in advance!
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Spinelli, Camilli, Cameli, Malada surnames from Ascoli P

Post by maestra36 »

Hello and welcome to the forum-
If you could narrow dates down a bit, you might be able to get information directly from the towns in Italy.

Here's a website for the town of Offida. At the top you"ll find a mailing address and email address:

http://www.comune.offida.ap.it/

to help you write in Italian, you can refer to one of the following websites-

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

I have found that if you give an estimated year of birth or marriage, for example, within a five year range, you have more success in getting information than if you give the office there nothing to work with. So try to narrow things down as much as you can based on the information you already know.

If you send a letter, it is best to enclose a self-addressed but not stamped envelope. Some towns are starting to charge for record copies; others, however, still provide them at no charge. If the town locates the information, and wants money, they will let you know.

I often email for information. You might want to try that first since you don't have exact dates, but still try to estimate years within a narrow range. If they send you the date via email, you can always ask about how to get a copy of the record, or they might give you that information in the email.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

http://www.comune.ripatransone.ap.it/

Here is an email address for this town's anagrafe office (registry office which houses vital records)

anagrafe@comune.ripatransone.ap.it (no spaces in the email address)

mailing address:

Comune di Ripatransone
P.zza XX Settembre 1
63038 Ripatransone (AP)
Italy
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Also, it is best to gather as many U.S. records you can find about these individuals before you try to get information from Italy-do you have their passenger lists, census records, any vital records from the U.S. (marriage, death records, etc), naturalization records, etc.

All of these records may contain information which will help with your search of Italian records

Those of us on this forum can help you locate those records, if you don't already have them. We need to know what you need and where these individuals settled.
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

First Name: Davide
Last Name: Spinelli
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Ripatronsone, Italy
Date of Arrival: Jun 28, 1913
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Luisiana
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0027

Is this your grandmother's father going to Montreal, when he was still single? This Davide's father was Domenico.
thasensei

Post by thasensei »

Maestra36, thank you very much! I am attempting to put together an e-mail to request information.

That does indeed appear to be my great grandfather! That is one piece that I hadn't come across yet, thank you very much!

As for dates...
Davide Spinelli:
Born 29 Mar 1894
Died 15 Sep 1982
Traveled to Canada sometime around 1921

Rosa Cameli:
Born 27 Jun 1900
Died 26 Apr 1987
Traveled to Canada in Dec 1921 aboard the ship Caserta

Davide, Rosa, and Lucia crossed from Canada to the US in May of 1923. They settled in Acmetonia, Cheswick, Pennsylvania, US.

I unfortunately don't have any dates or details for Davide or Rosa's parents.
GCameli

Re: Spinelli, Camilli, Cameli, Malada surnames from Ascoli Picen

Post by GCameli »

Hello, My name is Georgia and I have Italian ancestors by the name Cameli. My mothers side, I would like to focus on the Cameli side for now and I saw you had a question about this surname of "Cameli", Id appreciate any info or advice to find my ansestors, it seems to be a mystery to find anything online in Italian Records on family search or my heritage . My mothers great great grandfather was called Giuseppe Cameli, people sometimes have written it as Camilli or various variations back then it happened alot, but on his marriage certificate it is indeed Cameli, he was apparenly born in Ancona, Marche.... we presume from relatives information (but you just never know his family could have most likely been born elsewhere in italy) so far I haven't been able to find out anything online about him or his family. The only details I know is he travelled from Italy to South Africa with the Italians who wanted to work in the gold Mining for income in Kimberly South Africa. The only hiccup is that when he left italy he had to changed his name to a clearer surname Pronunciation in SA ( it was changed to Mitchell ....) His name would then be Joseph Mitchell /Joe / pre italy it was Joseph/Giuseppe Cameli He was born approx 1865, and his Full Italian name was supposed Giuseppe Francisco Cameli, He had over 8 children all with Italian Names. Im not sure if this info helps but its a question of having the luck finding his birth records, i wonder if he made the journey with any siblings (It is most likely his parents stayed in italy, we would most defiantly have family still there... he married at 31 yrs and still had a very strong italian accent which means he mustn't have left italy before that.
Any info on the surname or relatives please let me know.
kind regards
Georgia
Feel free to email me at Orchidmoongallery@gmail.com