Barga ,Lucca Confusing surnames

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jazz1800

Barga ,Lucca Confusing surnames

Post by jazz1800 »

I am researching my husbands grandfather who went to scotland from barga lucca ,our family name is Gualtieri, but on his first marriage cert he has called himmself Lucaisa ? His first child is named orlando gualtieri lucasia,and by the time of his second child he had droped the lucasia. On his second marriage he is just Gualtieri, as are his children and he also died a gualtieri,could this be a sort of double barelled italian name, I also could not find the name lucaisa listed any where as a surname.
any help much appreciated.
Jazz
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Re: Barga ,Lucca Confusing surnames

Post by jamiecapaldi »

I can't find these names as a double barreled name. I found Lucchesi in Barga, but not Gualtieri. Nearest Gualtieri name in Toscana i found was Vernio.
It might have been a female maiden name of his mother or something?
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
jazz1800

Post by jazz1800 »

Thanks for reply,
His mothers maiden name was morganti,luckely scotish B M D's hold alot of info, I just cant understand why he was first known as lucaisa,may be he was hiding from somthing? Its going to be fun when I go to Barga ,trying to track his birth and military records !!
Apples
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Apples »

This may not be the case for you but I had a similar thing with an english ancestor.
His mother had remarried when he was very young and on the different census and certificates he seemed to randomly use his own surname or his stepfathers surname. :?
Mathann

Post by Mathann »

I wonder if in translation between Italy and Scotland whether the Lucaisa was perhaps meant to be Lucchese to mean from Lucca? There could easily have been a language barrier when he filled out the certificate or replied to another who was filling out the certificate for him.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I think that he use that name because of the town he was from.There is a back post on Gualtieri I dont know if you saw it or not
Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty