1905 NY Census

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rjrdomer
Rookie
Rookie

1905 NY Census

Post by rjrdomer »

Does anyone know the best way of researching the 1905 NY census? I know I could go to the NYC library and attempt to search a film by address, but does anyone know if there is a name index anywhere? I'm not 100% certain of the address. I know the neighborhood in Brooklyn where my ancestors lived, but it's quite tedious going through all of the pages of microfilm. I just wanted to see if anyone knew a shortcut before I dive in. Thank you.

Rob
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: 1905 NY Census

Post by maestra36 »

You can search the NY 1905 census from the beta site of family search.

https://www.familysearch.org/s/collecti ... TH_AMERICA

Go down to where it says New York State Census, 1905
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi Rob,
1905 NY is free on FamilySearch Beta
one-time free registration to see images
Valarie

FamilySerach Beta
https://www.familysearch.org/

and

Dr Steve Morse has 1905 Brooklyn, Manhattan and the Bronx available from his site
http://www.stevemorse.org/#us
Viewing the 1905 Census Images: Viewing the Images for the 1905 New York Census in One Step
Searching by Name in the 1905 Census: Searching the 1905 Census by Name in One Step
Brooklyn 1925 Name Index: Searching the Brooklyn 1925 Census in One Step
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

you can also use the search engines on the stevemorse.org website

http://stevemorse.org/nyc/1905search.html
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Hi Valarie!

Happy New Year
Peg
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

:D Hi Peg!
A Happy New Year to you too!
Valarie
rjrdomer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjrdomer »

Wow that was fast. Thanks. I will search this index and see what I can come up with. A quick search came up with nothing but I may have to play with my spelling. Thanks again.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Rob
I also meant to tell you that, if you search via the stevemorse.org website, you can also determine the AD/ED number(s), and then browse the images in that AD/ED(s), if you have an address from which to work. I tried this for the Manhattan 1905 and discovered that the reason why my great grandfather's name wasn't coming up in the index was that a number of buildings were skipped. He was living at 238 E 111th Street and the census skipped all of the addresses between 220 and 240. Then I found the address where his second wife was living right before their marriage (her address on their marriage certificate), and I found the cousins with with whom she was supposedly living at the time of the marriage, who were also witnesses on their marriage certificate. There were about 100 people listed as residing at that particular tenement's address, and her name was not among them. So, either she wasn't physically living with these cousins and lied on her marriage record when she said she resided at that address, or she wasn't home when the census taker came around and didn't get added as being a resident in that building.

On stevemorse's website:

New York Census
1) NY Census AD/ED Finder: Obtaining AD/ED for the 1890-1925 NY State Census in One Step
2) Viewing the 1905 Census Images: Viewing the Images for the 1905 New York Census in One Step
3) Searching by Name in the 1905 Census: Searching the 1905 Census by Name in One St

Hope one of these helps you find your ancestor.

Peg
rjrdomer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjrdomer »

Thanks. Still having a hard time ifnding. I found the two addresses they could have lived at, but no names. My ancestors went back and forth between Italy and Brooklyn several times and I have records of my g-g grandfather, Cono Russo, coming in December 1904 with two of his sons, Vito and Antonio. They were going to see Cono's eldest son, Michele at 43 or 45 Withers Street, Brooklyn. In June 1905, his wife Concetta returned to the US to meet him at 713 Lorimer Street with their other two sons, Vincenzo and Giovanni. But I can't find anyone. I don't expect to see Concetta since she arrived after the census was taken. But nothing from the first half of the family.

I'll keep digging.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Tax photographs might help idenitify the address further at
www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/taxphotos/home.shtml and
www.bklyn-genealogy-info.com =Peter=
~Peter~