Granelli from Santa Maria del Taro

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ninatoo

Granelli from Santa Maria del Taro

Post by ninatoo »

Hi,

My great grandfather was Camillo Francisco Granelli born about 1878 in Santa Maria del Taro, Italy. His parents as listed in his marriage registration were Francisco Granelli and Maria de Lucchi. He had a brother Agostino born about 1874, who listed Bedonia as his birth place on the 1911 English census, as did his wife Margherita Agazzi. Apparently the brothers went to England and made ice cream there, but Camillo went to Glasgow, and died there in 1920.

I would like to find out more about my great grandfather's ancestors. I would also like to find out more about his brother Agostino, who is rumoured to have travelled first to the US with his family after WW1 and then back to his birthplace in Italy. Can someone please suggest how I go about finding out more?

Thank you,

Nina
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Granelli from Santa Maria del Taro

Post by maestra36 »

Hello and welcome to the forum-
This is the Agostino Granelli I could find from Bedonia, but he was born abt 1887 and not about 1874. Also this Agostino appears to have permanently settled in the U.S Based on the numbers by his name on the original manifest, I believe he acquired U.S. citizenship in 1921. Could the person you are searching for have left England after 1911 and then come back to the U.S.and settled here?

First Name: Agostino
Last Name: Granelli
Ethnicity:
Last Place of Residence: Bedonia
Date of Arrival: May 19, 1906
Age at Arrival: 19y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: La Savoie
Port of Departure: Havre
Manifest Line Number: 0022

to view the manifest:

www.ellisislandrecords.org

There are no passenger lists available from the U.S. back to Italy
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I can't find any evidence of Margherita Agazzi or Margherita Granelli coming to the U.S. though

did you see the information about Agostino which appears on the LDS family search website in the Pedigree Resource file? I see his year of death is given as 1918 and the submitter of the info is in Scotland.

if you need the submitter's info, I will send it to you via a private message
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

from the same submitter:

Camillo Granelli Sex: M
Birth: 1877
Scotland
Death: 11 Dec 1920 Glasgow
Parents
Father: Francis Granelli
Mother: Maria Delucchi
Spouse: Margaret McCulloch Carson
Marriage: 5 Oct 1908
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland.

from the same submitter:

Camillo Francesco Granelli
Sex: M
Birth: 6 Dec 1939
COVENTRY West Midlands England
Death: 5 Jan 1940
COVENTRY West Midlands England
Father: Camillo Francesco Granelli
Mother: Jane Cotterill Easton

from the same submitter:

Camillo Francesco Granelli Sex: M
Birth: 30 Jan 1917
GLASGOW Lanarkshire Scotland
Death: 19 Mar 1980 GLASGOW Lanarkshire Scotland
Father: Camillo Granelli
Mother: Margaret McCulloch Carson
Spouse: Corallo
Marriage: 1946
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Spouse: Jane Cotterill Easton
Marriage: 16 Aug 1939
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
ninatoo

Post by ninatoo »

Hello Maestra and thanks for replying to my query.

I did see the ship manifest for that Agostino, and followed him up the censuses in the US and he has an entirely different family, so it seems unlikely that it is him. I know my Agostino was in England at least some of the time between 1904 and 1912 as they are the years his children were born between (Miglia b. 1904, Francesco b. about 1906 and Marietta b. 1912).

He was also there in Macclesfield England in 1911 on the census, as an ice cream manufacturer with wife Marghertia Agazzi and children (and the current Granelli ice cream makers don't think there is a link between their Granelli family and mine).

He was still in Macclesfield in 1918, because his brother (my g grandfather) sent him a wartime postcard (Italian army).

The information held at the LDS site is from a submitter who obtained the information from me. She has some of it incorrect, such as Agostino's death date. The reason for that is the Tribal Pages site where my tree I held online doesn't recognise the word 'after' as in he died AFTER 1918, haha! And so that submitter wrote 1918 as year of death. (I have tried to have her amend it). The same submitter has a tree at Ancestry.com which carries the same information.

So again thanks for your help!

Nina
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I tried everything to try to find a manifest for another Agostino Granelli but had no luck with that. Possibly someone else on the forum will be able to help you with that.

Peg
ninatoo

Post by ninatoo »

Hi Peg,

I've also tried everything haha! I am beginning to think the whole family stowed away on a boat between the USA censuses (joking). I was told that after agostino left the US for Italy, one of his daughters returned to the US and stayed there, but I have no proof, and it is especially difficult because I have names for only two daughters, but of course he may have had more.

Nina
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Nina
If you search passenger lists using the www.stevemorse.org website, you can even just put in the first initial of the individual's first and last names, or just the first initial of the last name and the town name. You will see what names come up that way. You can also search just using the first name and the town name and a also search using a variation in spelling of both. There were some others with the surname from that town.

Use the first form on the website, which is the gold form. Maybe you will track down one of the daughters that way.

Peg
ninatoo

Post by ninatoo »

Thanks Peg,

I've had a little look at that site, and nothing seems to be coming up. I am guessing the daughter married before immigrating.

Nina
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Nina
Italian women, even married, keep their maiden names. Occasionally a married Italian woman enters the U.S. through her married last name, but normally she enters through her maiden name. What are the daughters' names that you know?

There is a Rosa Granelli, age 16, with a father named Agostino in Bedonia-she was born in 1904.

First Name: Rosa
Last Name: Granelli
Ethnicity: Italy, North
Last Place of Residence: Bedonia, Italy
Date of Arrival: Jul 14, 1920
Age at Arrival: 16y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Giuseppe Verdi
Port of Departure: Genoa
Manifest Line Number: 0026

Peg
ninatoo

Post by ninatoo »

Hi Peg,

My Agostino definitely had a daughter Miglia, born in Cheshire, England in 1904, so I think it is unlikely that he is the Agostino who is the father of Rosa. But thank you so much for taking such an interest!

Nina
boozy.bird
Rookie
Rookie

Post by boozy.bird »

Hi
I have info on members of a Granelli family that settled in Sheffield in 1800s they came from Santa Maria Del Taro.........maybe related
ninatoo

Post by ninatoo »

Hi boozy.bird

I replied to your pm....I hope you got it?

Nina
ninatoo

Post by ninatoo »

Hi all,

I have had a little break through with this family. I found a Margherita Agazzi from Bedonia, who traveled to the USA in 1946 to stay with her daughter Mary Granelli-Zecchini in Ohio. I researched this Mary Zecchini and found she married an Arthur Zecchini. She was the correct age (born 1912 as Agostino and MArgherita's daughter Marietta. I think she must have travelled to the USA after the 1930 census. So I am almost certain that I have found the daughter who was mentioned in the posts above.

My next step will be to look for the 'nearest relative or friend' Margherita names on the ship's manifest as next of kin back in Italy - a Guilia Fererici from Bedonia, though I am guessing she will also be hard to find.

Nina
italianlaw
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italianlaw »

Is this you Agostino?
GRANELLI Agostino;FU GIOVANNI nato a BEDONIA il 04/05/1897

Anthony Alioto
http://www.italianlaw.net
San Francisco