Giuseppe Genovese and Caterina Monteleone

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Stecchino

Giuseppe Genovese and Caterina Monteleone

Post by Stecchino »

Just found this site - this is my first post (go me!) so please be gentle. :)

I am trying without luck to find the manifests for my great grandparents. I believe I have found records for their parents and siblings, but they do not seem to have traveled with them.

Giuseppe Genovese, DOB 3/1/1886
-Father Ignazio Genovese DOB ~1856
-Mother Maria Campisi DOB ~1866

Caterina Monteleone, DOB 6/22/1891
-Father Gaspare Monteleone, DOB ~1855
-Mother Leonarda Giarraputo, DOB ~1866

Both came from Santa Margherita di Belice, Sicily. According to a census entry they arrived in 1903, but I'm not sure that's accurate. They lived in Brooklyn then moved to Stamford, CT.

They did not travel together, and according to my great aunt's memoir, they were introduced by her big brother Tony (Antonino) whose record I believe I have found as well.

If anyone can help me find them in the passenger lists, I'd be extraordinarily grateful. I've searched ellisisland.org six ways from Sunday to no avail.
John DiFrancesco

"Aiuto dei clienti a trovare le carriere che sono appassionate, soddisfare, di successo, e ricompensare."

(Ma non parlo bene l'italiano.)
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Giuseppe Genovese and Caterina Monteleone

Post by mfjp »

You may have already seen this manifest, but we need to catch up...

Giuseppe's father...Ignazio DECEMBER 1903

Ok, I see what you mean about 1903 being the year of entry... but this manifest is dated December 24 ! This manifest mentions that he will be joining his wife Maria Campisi and Giuseppe and an Angelo Ignazio Genevese? already in Brooklyn...

Colgero (Giuseppe's brother) is also with Ignazio on this trip ...

First Name: Ignazio Last Name: Genovese
Ethnicity: Italian South Last Place of Residence: S. Margherita Date of Arrival: December 24, 1903 Age at Arrival:  47y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M  Ship of Travel: Sicilian Prince Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0006

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2720120432&
--------------------------------------
JANUARY 1903

Angelo age 13, Ignazio age 4? and Maria Campisi on this trip... off to Brooklyn to be with Giuseppe...

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2605020161
--------------------------------------

Now to find Giuseppe's manifest! :?
mfjp
Stecchino

Post by Stecchino »

Thanks so much for your assistance!

As I said, I think I've found manifests for pretty much everyone, including multiple trips by some family members, but I just can't seem to find the two I want. Frustrating!

I must have gone through every alternate spelling I could think of (back before ellisisland.org had their "advanced search" tool). Using it I think I found Giulio and Vittoria Montelione (sp), arr 4/2/1905, but that name didn't help with Caterina.

As an aside, I've noticed on many manifests that the names seem to be either crossed out or underlined - is it possible that some of the apparently multiple trips are actually aborted trips where the individuals were on the manifest but then didn't actually make the journey?

Today I'm making my first visit to my local Family History Museum, Lynn Nelson's book in hand. Wish me luck!
John DiFrancesco

"Aiuto dei clienti a trovare le carriere che sono appassionate, soddisfare, di successo, e ricompensare."

brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Here is information on the manifest for Gaspare Monteleone off of Ellis Island. He is traveling with his son, Francesco, and he is going to go see his wife in New York.

Hope it helps
Trish

First Name: Gaspare
Last Name: Monteleone
Ethnicity: Italy, Italyan South
Last Place of Residence: S. Margherita, Sicily
Date of Arrival: September 30, 1913
Age at Arrival: 57y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: San Giovanni
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0008

This manifest has Gaspare and Leonarda with a few children coming over.
First Name: Leonarda
Last Name: Giarraputo
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Santa Margherita, Sicily
Date of Arrival: October 09, 1909
Age at Arrival: 42y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: San Giorgio
Manifest Line Number: 0007
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Stecchino

Post by Stecchino »

Thanks for the help.

I think I've located pretty much everything that Ellis Island has, short of random mis-spellings that I can't guess at.

I think I hit a home run when I found a manifest from 1919 that shows Gaspare and his wife Leonarda Giarraputo traveling with sons Salvatore, Francesco, and Calogero - but the most interesting part is the original manifest states that they are visiting sons Antonino, Gaspare, Leonardo, and Giuseppe!

I wonder why Vittoria and Caterina aren't mentioned, but being daughters it might not have been customary to "bother" mentioning them.

I think I've gotten what I need from Ellis Island and Social Security Death Indexes. At some point I'll probably join ancestry.com (God help me) for a short time, just so that I can pull some 1910 and 1920 census records.

For now, I'm waiting for some films to be sent to my local Family History Library so I can research the birth records of Santa Margherita di Belice and Novara di Sicilia, where my great grandparents emigrated from.

Thanks again! I look forward to hanging out here more often! :)[/url]
John DiFrancesco

brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Stecchino wrote:Thanks for the help.

I think I've located pretty much everything that Ellis Island has, short of random mis-spellings that I can't guess at.

I think I hit a home run when I found a manifest from 1919 that shows Gaspare and his wife Leonarda Giarraputo traveling with sons Salvatore, Francesco, and Calogero - but the most interesting part is the original manifest states that they are visiting sons Antonino, Gaspare, Leonardo, and Giuseppe!

I wonder why Vittoria and Caterina aren't mentioned, but being daughters it might not have been customary to "bother" mentioning them.

I think I've gotten what I need from Ellis Island and Social Security Death Indexes. At some point I'll probably join ancestry.com (God help me) for a short time, just so that I can pull some 1910 and 1920 census records.

For now, I'm waiting for some films to be sent to my local Family History Library so I can research the birth records of Santa Margherita di Belice and Novara di Sicilia, where my great grandparents emigrated from.

Thanks again! I look forward to hanging out here more often! :)[/url]
Hi,

One, don't join ancestry.com if you don't have to. Your Family History Center may already have ancestry and you can view records there and just pay for printouts. The same goes for your Main Libraries. They too have ancestry.

Keep us posted about how you are making out with the film.

Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

And if you do join... use "pay pal" is it??? or Ancestry might even sneak in a second billing... :twisted: ... but I got it back -no problem...

Ancestry recently updated their site a couple of days ago, where viewing documents is much faster... and better... and with the addition of the Boston manifests... I sure like it...

ok... these are close... but no cigars.. and since you are researching these names.. might as well post them...

First Name: Caterina Last Name: Monteleone
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South Last Place of Residence: S. Margherita
Date of Arrival: October 11, 1906 Age at Arrival:  1y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  S   Ship of Travel: Napolitan Prince Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0015

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0113030075

A few Monteleoni’s here including a Caterina, bitrhdate off...

and an interesting person on line 15... visiting a Leonardo Giarraputo.

------------------------------------
Going to visit UNCLE Leonardo Monteleone....

First Name: Caterina
Last Name: Montelione (born 1878)
Ethnicity: Italian, South Italian
Last Place of Residence: S. Margherita B.
Date of Arrival: November 14, 1902
Age at Arrival:  24y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Trojan Prince
Manifest Line Number: 0009

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2793150009
----------------------------------------------------
ALSO....was Giuseppe a hair dresser? and any Melchiore's in your family...?
mfjp
winterjazz

Post by winterjazz »

Hi
I was searching for my grandfather in the Ellis Island Passenger Ship manifests and it kept coming up with no matches. His name was Luigi Monteleone from Corleone. His parents were Cesare Monteleone and Providenza Ciaccio according to his passport. Not until I went to the advanced search and entered his birthdate and no first name did I have a chance at finding him. They suggested alternative spellings and I started checking them all. Sure enough, he was listed as follows:

First Name: Lugi
Last Name: Monteleon
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Coleone
Date of Arrival: Jul 05, 1902
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Milano
Port of Departure: Hamburg
Manifest Line Number: 0011

Here are all the alternatives they have.

?onteleone
Momteleone
Mondeleone
Montaleone
Montelaone
Monteleome
Monteleon
Monteleona
Manteleone
Menteleone
Monkeleone
Monteleane
Monteleono
Montelleon
Monteloone
Montoleone
Mantaleone
Manteleon
Montellaon
Montoleona
Manteleane
Manteleono
Mantelleon
Mantoleone
Mendeleon
Menteleane
Minteleone
Monbeleone
Montebeone
Monteleano

I'm sure with all the different accents and all the people working at Ellis Island who weren't familiar with place names there were mispellings of most names and then you have the people who transcribed the names trying to read everyone's handwriting so if you don't find someone right away dont' be so sure they're not listed.