Italian postage stamps now 1.60 euro to USA.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Italian postage stamps now 1.60 euro to USA.

Post by Italysearcher »

Members of this forum may want to be aware that the price of postage from Italy to North America has doubled. From 85 cents to 1.60 euro.
I was asked by a forum member to send some Italian stamps for his research. This is not something I normally do and for this reason.
I went to the main Post Office and was lucky not to wait more than 10 minutes. I was advised about the rate increase so I returned home to email the person to see if he wanted to send more money.
He did, so I returned this morning at 8:30 am when they opened. They don't have the 1.60 stamps yet. They can only sell me 85 cents so buy double and pay 10 cents more on the postage! I objected, of course. Can't you make up 1.60 with other stamps I asked? After 5 more minutes he returned to tell me that they do have 1.50 stamps but they don't have any 10 cents left. BUT! the tobacconist might have some, so why don't I go there and see before I buy. I went, 5 minutes walk in the rain, they didn't have any left either. At the finish I returned to the Post Office an bought the 85 cent ones. The alternative was to run all over town to the various tobacconists to see if I could round up 15 -10 cents stamps. Not worth my time.
I know people send IRC but I can't imagine a town office sending someone to the Post Office to exchange one for a stamp. They are probably only valuable for writing to relatives and then you have to hope the Post Office know what to do with them. When I have some time to spare I will ask if our Post Office knows.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Italian postage stamps now 1.60 euro to USA.

Post by wldspirit »

Thanks Ann, helpful insight from someone living in Italy!!
I have read where some of the offices have returned the IRC along with the documents requested.... :?
Keep us posted...
Lee

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Well, the raise in cost of the postage certainly explains the increase I had for requested documents from the Archives. The fees I am charged are for reimbursement of their costs of postage and copying.

I find that quite reasonable. Thank you Ann for your information.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Gee, that is quite an increase. As of September 2009, I was still buying Posta Prioritaria stamps for one Euro each and they were good for letters sent anywhere in the USA. In 2008, they issued a stamp commemorating the 40 year anniversary of Anna Magnani's death. It was a beautiful picture of her.

Sounds like the economy has caught up with Italia. I would imagine groceries have gone up as well. Un cafe normale o vettrino has cost one Euro and a Cappuccino 1.10 since Italy went on the Euro January 1, 2002. I can't imagine a coffee going up and Italians actually standing for it.