Found Naturalization Records- Need Birth/Marriage Cert.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
caridimondo
Rookie
Rookie

Found Naturalization Records- Need Birth/Marriage Cert.

Post by caridimondo »

Ciao tutti,

I went to my Nonna's last week to look through all the documents she saved from her parent's. I have all of their documentation from Ellis Island and their naturalization papers (GGF- 1934, GGM- 1943). My Nonna was born in 1926, so I am definitely eligible for dual citizenship. Unfortunately I have to wait till March 2012 for my appointment in Philly.

The only issue is that she doesn't have their birth/marriage certificates from Italy. They lived in Campli (Teramo, Abruzzo) and got married around 1920. After researching it seems I have to send a letter to the commune requesting these documents. Has anyone tried emailing instead? I just want to know what the easiest/most efficient method is for acquiring these official documents. Grazie!!
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Found Naturalization Records- Need Birth/Marriage Cert.

Post by sforza »

In my experience, they want the letter by post. There are several good letter generators on the web, this being one:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

However, note this generator asks for an extract on non-legal paper. You want the long-form (estratto integrale con l'indicazione di paternita e maternita).

Good Luck!
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Caridimondo,

Try these templates. Just fill in your info and mail it. I used this format with much sucess.
Drew

Birth Request:

[your name]
United States

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di [ ]
[address]
Italia

Egregi Signori,

Il mio nome e` [ your name]. Sono un cittadino americano discendente da Italiani e sto cercando di ottenere anche la cittadinanza italiana.

Per questo richiedo, cortesemente, il Vostro aiuto, poiche` mi necessita l’estratto dell’atto di nascita, in formato internazionale, di mio bisnonno [his name]. Egli nacque il [ date of birth] a [ name of comune] da [his father] e da [ his mother].

Poiche` io necessito di questo documento per formalizzare la mia richiesta di cittadinanza italiana, e` molto importante che il suddetto certificato riporti i nomi di entrambi i genitori.

I documenti andranno inviati al seguente indrizzo:

[your name and address]
United States

La mia e-mail: [ email address]

Se ci saranno delle spese da sostenere Vi prego di comunicarmelo e sara` mia cura inviarvi quanto dovuto a stretto giro di posta. Se Vi e` possible Vi prego di inviare i documenti dentro la busta allegata che e` gia intestata a me`.

Vi ringrazio in anticipo per la Vostra cortese attenzione ed il Vostro aiuto.

Cordiali Saluti,

[ your name]

Marriage request:

[your name]
[address]
United States

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di [ ]
[the comune address]
Italia

Egregi Signori,

Il mio nome e` [ your name]. Sono un cittadino americano discendente da Italiani e sto cercando di ottenere anche la cittadinanza italiana.

Per questo richiedo, cortesemente, il Vostro aiuto, poiche` mi necessita l’estratto dell’atto di matrimonio, in formato internazionale, dei miei nonni [GGF] e [GGM]. Loro furono sposati il [date of marriage] in [name of comune]. [GGF] figlio di [GGGF] e [GGGM], e [ggm] figlia di [gggf] e di [gggm].

Poiche` io necessito di questo documento per formalizzare la mia richiesta di cittadinanza italiana, e` molto importante che il suddetto certificato riporti i nomi di entrambi i genitori.

I documenti andranno inviati al seguente indrizzo:

[your name and
address]
United States

La mia e-mail: [email address]

Se ci saranno delle spese da sostenere Vi prego di comunicarmelo e sara mia cura inviarvi quanto dovuto a stretto giro di posta. Se Vi e` possible Vi prego di inviare I documenti dentro la busta allegata che e` gia intestata a me`.

Vi ringrazio in anticipo per la Vostra cortese attenzione ed il Vostro aiuto.

Cordiali Saluti,

[your name]
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

The extract does list paternity and maternity. I sent to Comune di Platania for a birth certificate and I received the Estratto. The Estratto would be sufficient for the consulate.
caridimondo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by caridimondo »

Thanks for your help everyone! I'm not sure the names of my GG-grandparents, so are they absolutely necessary? I have seen templates that don't include them.

Also, do I need to request the birth certificate of my GGM even though I'm not appyling through her line? And can I send all these letters together requesting the documents at the same time?
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

I'm sure that you can request the documents without the GGp's names.

As far as your GGm, I was under the impression that they are required. Maybe someone else may have more insight on that.
caridimondo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by caridimondo »

Hi all,

Because many have had success with faxing these requests, I'm going to fax mine to the comune (Campli, Teramo). Before I do so, I wanted to know if I should be requesting my GGM's birth cert too even though I'm not applying through her. Thanks!
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Fax is used regularly in Italy for all types of transactions. They always offer you the option to use FAX over snail mail so you might get a timely response that way.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

San Francisco is asking for birth certificates as a simple photo copy for the ascendants not in the direct line but I'm thinking that if everything else with the application is ok, they may overlook this if you don't have it.
caridimondo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by caridimondo »

Ok I'll request it just in case. Better safe than sorry. I just wish my appointment wasn't so far away (March 2012), such a bummer!
caridimondo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by caridimondo »

So I faxed my letters to the Ufficio dello Stato Civile of Campli yesterday and am wondering when would be an appropriate time to follow-up. I've heard of people calling the comune to make sure the requests have been received. Is this recommended? If so, I'll probably need someone to call for me because my Italian is..cosi cosi.

Has anyone had issues obtaining documents from comunes in Abruzzo?