Qualify question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
aussieaa

Qualify question

Post by aussieaa »

Hello!

After years of thinking i am not eligable i have read something that gives me hope so thought i'd check here before going a bit further.

My father was born in italy in 1949 to italian parents.
He emigrated to australia when he was 6.
His father left the family and went back to live in Italy. His parents never divorced.
His mother naturalised when he was 12, however he was living in a foster home as his mother couldn't afford to look after him and his brothers and sisters. He assumed that he was naturalised with her. He has not naturalised himself as an adult.

Am i eligible through my father then gf?
Even though my gm was naturalised when my father was a minor? MY grandfather always kept his italian citizenship.

I read something about Article 12, in which only one parent has to be italian to pass it along even if the other parent was naturalised?

PLEASE PLEASE could this be right?!

thank you for your help
:)
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Qualify question

Post by ricbru »

Since your grandmother naturalized when your dad was 12,
and your grandfather never naturalized, yes you can use
your father-grandfather line.
For sure you need to prove that your grandfather never naturalized.

You can also use your father line, because he is the first one who stepped abroad, also, along all the papers, bring with you a paper certfying your grandfather never naturalized

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo