How Long To Get Certified Census?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jennabet
Master
Master

How Long To Get Certified Census?

Post by jennabet »

How long does it actually take to receive the Certified Census Report from NARA? Instructions say allow up to 90 days for processing. Does it really take this long?
mler
Master
Master

Re: How Long To Get Certified Census?

Post by mler »

Maybe if they do it for you. If it's possible for you to go in yourself, you can get it the same day. They will help you locate the microfiche roll that holds the information; then, once you find the actual page you want printed, you ask one of the staff members to print it for you (unless they print it themselves, they will not certify it). Fifteen minutes later, you have a certified document complete with lovely red ribbon.

My guess is that they really don't have the time to search for the census pages and do it during down time. Because of this, they probably don't want to promise that they will get it to you quickly. I think, though, that it's unlikely you'll have to wait a full 90 days.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

OK, thanks. I already have a non-certified copy and it's legible. Don't know if I should really spend the money for it.

The problem with it is that he states on 1920 Census that he arrived in US in 1888, but he wasn't born until 1894. He also states that he was NA in 1900 but at that time he was six years old. And his father didn't naturalize until 1913. So, the dates are definitely wrong and I don't see the point of showing it.

Am I correct to assume that the Certified version will show the same, exact entries? If so, I think this proves without a doubt that either the immigrant or the census taker made a lot of errors. Not exactly a reliable document. I'm surprised the consulates even ask for this kind of information.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

You're right; the census information is totally unreliable. Even today, census takers only report the information they are give (and who knows how careful they are about doing this).

The certified census will be exactly like the one you have, but it will have the certification letter attached to it.
musaccosteve
Veteran
Veteran

Post by musaccosteve »

I went into the NARA office in Riverside and got a certified copy of a census report while there. These people are the best!
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

I requested mine by mail from DC, and got it in less than a month.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

OK thanks. I will send off for it.