Salvatore Projetto aka Crisenza - Bisacquino, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jpetrelli
Rookie
Rookie

Salvatore Projetto aka Crisenza - Bisacquino, Italy

Post by jpetrelli »

I was hoping the forum could help me to understand and learn more about my 3rd GGF.

First, he was a Foundling and I believe was not given a Surname. At some point, he adopted the last name "Crisenza", which he passed on to his two children. I may never be able to identify the origination of this surname, but am trying to understand the nature of how Salvatore's name was record on his Vital Records. Salvatore's Birth Record (Link to Page 1 and Page 2) lists him as "Salvatore projetto [unclear term]". Can anyone read/interpret/explain this entry?

Does anyone have any thoughts or explanation of the "projetto" reference? I have discovered other Foundlings, but they were given full names at birth.

------
Secondly, I located the Church Marriage record for Salvatore and Antonina Napoli. The notation lists "Salvatore ex. [unclear word]. The third word is not "projetto" as his birth record states. Can anyone explain this entry?

-----
Third, I believe Salvatore died in Italy prior to his wife's, my 3GGM, immigrated to the US in 1892. FamilySearch.org has many imaged records to potentially identify his death, but not understanding his last name, I have no idea how he would have been recorded within the indexed for these records. Does anyone have any ideas for how I could identify his Death Record?

-----
Fourth, as an additional twist, I have this Baptism Record for a, Maria Alioti, which identifies Antonina Napoli (Salvatore's wife) as Maria Alioti's Godmother. Do we know that Salvatore would have been alive at the time of this record? This is relevant for determining if Salvatore was the father of both of Antonina's children.

Thank you for any advice and perspective for helping me understand these records.

Joe
Researching Surnames:
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Salvatore Projetto aka Crisenza - Bisacquino, Italy

Post by adelfio »

On the first page it looks likes Giuesppa ?? profession servant living with her mother presented a child out of wedlock and where the mothers info usually listed they left blank
Page 2 is the name of the child Salvatore no last name and the rest are witness
Leonardo Pa??? and Leonardo Pasquale
There is a good post on info on this here it is read all the messages
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... jetto.html
Marty
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

jpetrelli wrote:I was hoping the forum could help me to understand and learn more about my 3rd GGF.

First, he was a Foundling and I believe was not given a Surname. At some point, he adopted the last name "Crisenza", which he passed on to his two children. I may never be able to identify the origination of this surname, but am trying to understand the nature of how Salvatore's name was record on his Vital Records. Salvatore's Birth Record (Link to Page 1 and Page 2) lists him as "Salvatore projetto [unclear term]". Can anyone read/interpret/explain this entry?

Does anyone have any thoughts or explanation of the "projetto" reference? I have discovered other Foundlings, but they were given full names at birth.

Projetto = foundling
The baby was found by Giuseppa Ricca, a midwife in the foundling wheel (ruota dei projetti), see http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/foundling_wheel for a description of a foundling wheel. The baby was given the name Salvatore (firstname) Esposito(surname). Esposito (literally "Exposed" was a typical surname assigned by the Ufficiale di Stato civile.

------
Secondly, I located the Church Marriage record for Salvatore and Antonina Napoli. The notation lists "Salvatore ex. [unclear word]. The third word is not "projetto" as his birth record states. Can anyone explain this entry?

I'm sorry but I cannot decipher the document
-----
Third, I believe Salvatore died in Italy prior to his wife's, my 3GGM, immigrated to the US in 1892. FamilySearch.org has many imaged records to potentially identify his death, but not understanding his last name, I have no idea how he would have been recorded within the indexed for these records. Does anyone have any ideas for how I could identify his Death Record?

The surname on his birth act is Esposito
-----
Fourth, as an additional twist, I have this Baptism Record for a, Maria Alioti, which identifies Antonina Napoli (Salvatore's wife) as Maria Alioti's Godmother. Do we know that Salvatore would have been alive at the time of this record? This is relevant for determining if Salvatore was the father of both of Antonina's children.

This baptism record states that Maria Alioti's parents are unknown (natam ex ignotis parentibus). You cannot determine from this document if Antonina Napoli was married to Salvatore and if he was the father of her children.

Thank you for any advice and perspective for helping me understand these records.

Joe
jpetrelli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jpetrelli »

Livio,

Thank you once again for your help and input.
liviomoreno wrote: Projetto = foundling
The baby was found by Giuseppa Ricca, a midwife in the foundling wheel (ruota dei projetti), see http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/foundling_wheel for a description of a foundling wheel. The baby was given the name Salvatore (firstname) Esposito(surname). Esposito (literally "Exposed" was a typical surname assigned by the Ufficiale di Stato civile.
Wow, I had been told stories about “the children of the wheelâ€
Researching Surnames:
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

[quote="jpetrelli"]Livio,

I see the “ruota dei projettoâ€
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Die 7 marti 1859
Denuntiationibus rite praemissis I(uxta) S(acri) C(oncili) T(ridentini) nulloque legitimo impedimento detecto Ego
Sacerdos D. Xaverius Plaja Capellanus Sacramentalis huius Matris Parochialis et Insi-
gnis Collegiatae Ecclesiae Bisaquini in eadem Ecclesia interrogavi Salvatorem(?)
innuptum ex parentibus ignotis et Andrianam Napoli innuptam filiam legitimam et naturalem quondam
Blasii et Mariae Improta(?) olim jugalium huius, eorumque mutuo consensu
habito per verba de praesenti matrimonio conjunxi coram testibus D. An-
tonii Marino et D. Benedetto Grisafi, eisque in Missae beneficii benedixi.

Il giorno 7 di marzo del 1859
Premesse le pubblicazioni di rito secondo il sacro concilio tridentino e nessun legittimo impedimento scoperto, io sacerdote Don Saverio Plaja cappellano sacramentale di questa chiesa madre parrocchiale e insigne collegiata di Bisacquino nella stessa chiesa interrogai Salvatore(?), celibe di genitori ignoti e Andriana Napoli, nubile, figlia legittima e naturale del fu Biagio e di Maria Improta(?) già coniugi di questa (parrocchia) e avuto il loro reciproco consenso li congiunsi in matrimonio "per verba de presenti" davanti ai testimoni D. Antonio Marino e D. Benedetto Grisafi, ed essi benedissi durante i sacrifici della messa.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Grazie Luca! :lol: (il nome della sposa però è Antonina) :wink:

[quote=jpetrelli]Secondly, I located the Church Marriage record for Salvatore and Antonina Napoli. The notation lists "Salvatore ex. [unclear word]. The third word is not "projetto" as his birth record states. Can anyone explain this entry?[/quote]

"Salvatorem innuptum ex parentibus ignotis" = "Salvatore, single, of unknown parents.

Here the surname Esposito was not mentioned...
jpetrelli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jpetrelli »

I reviewed the various documents I have for Salvatore and I can not see an obvious conclusion for how his name was presented.

I've posted images of the three records. Any thoughts from the forum?
Researching Surnames:
jpetrelli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jpetrelli »

Thank you Lucap and Livio for your help.

I posted the prior message without noticing your latest contributions.

So, we believe the left column of the Church Record document lists Salvatore with some variation of the statement within the write up of "Salvatorem innuptum ex parentibus ignotis"?

I appreciate the translation assistance. Any interpretation/explanation to help me understand the situation?
Researching Surnames:
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

jpetrelli wrote:
So, we believe the left column of the Church Record document lists Salvatore with some variation of the statement within the write up of "Salvatorem innuptum ex parentibus ignotis"?
To be precise, the above sentence is in the body of the document, the left column reads "Salvator ex par. ign.", which is the same.

On the http://www.italgen.com/uploads/forums/m ... e_snip.jpg it says "Salvatore projetto schetto", where schetto=single.

The surname on the birth act seems Esposto rather than Esposito