Surnames----Castrogiovanni and Alduino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
frank39

Surnames----Castrogiovanni and Alduino

Post by frank39 »

I am looking for the surnames of Castrogiovanni and Alduino. They were born in Giuliana in the 1870's. Francesco Castrogiovanni was my grandfather and Lena Alduino was my grandmother. Any information, certificates etc. on their parents or brothers or sisters would be greatly appreciated. They emigrated to the United States in the early 1900's. Thank you in advance FRANK39
FRANK39
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Surnames----Castrogiovanni and Alduino

Post by wldspirit »

Microfilm is available to you from the Lds, which can be rented for less than $4.00 at your local Lds library. The following is available:
Census - 1608 -1815
Church records - 1537 - 1910
Stato civile - 1820 - 1882

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

to find a library:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

wldspirit
frank39

Post by frank39 »

wldspirit Thanks for the reply. There is an LDS Center about 25 miles from me and I will go there and see if I can find the info needed. Again thanks frank39
FRANK39
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Keep in mind that microfilm must be ordered, which may take 3-4 weeks to come in, also, the microfilm is in Italian.
Two books which are very useful in your research:
Lynn Nelson. A Genealogist’s Guide to Discovering Your Italian Ancestors: How to Find and Record Your Unique Heritage.
Trafford C. Cole. Italian Genealogical Records.
Hope this helps,
wldspirit

Just out of curiosity.....have you located their ship manifest yet?
frank39

Post by frank39 »

wldspirit Yes I went to the state archives yesterday and they had the ship's manifests. But they are in someone's long hand handwriting and are very hard to read. But I made out with it. There is a lot of information in the state archive here but it does not go back to Italy. So I need all the information on getting records that are still in Italy that I can get. and again you are a big help-----keep the information coming. thanks frank39
FRANK39
frank39

Post by frank39 »

wldspirit BTW----are you a Professional Genealogist and what part of Illinois are you from. If you are not a professional where did you learn all this information. Just curious. again thanks frank39
FRANK39
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

By no means am I a professional......just a rookie who has picked up a thing or two from this site......... :oops:
I am also researching my family history, in both Illinois and Italy. My family immigrated from Talamello in Pesaro e Urbino to Central Illinois,
where I still reside.
wldspirit
frank39

Post by frank39 »

wldspirit Thanks for the reply. I was born in Chicago a long time ago that is why I was asking. I live way down in Louisiana now and have for a very long time. My dad was Italian and my mother was Polish. I need to get on the Polish side also. I have that back to the mid 1800's. It is a little easier in that my grandparents on that side came in at Ellis Island and settled in Chicago. I still have a lot of relatives on both sides in Illinois. Again thanks for the help. Being a newbie, I need all the help I can get Thanks frank39
FRANK39
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Italian Passengers to Louisiana, 1905-10 Name:   Francesco Castrogiovanni
Arrival Date:   5 Oct 1906
Age/Gender/Marital Status:   34/m/m
Native Country/Town:   Giuliana
Destination:   N.O.,La.
Ship:   lazio
frank39

Post by frank39 »

mfjp thanks for the reply. I was looking at the passenger ship's manifest just yeaterday at out state's archive. I did not have time to go thru the whole thing as I had a Dr.'s appointment. Did you find that info on the internet, if so can you give me the website. Again thanks for the reply frank39
FRANK39
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

my-keyboard-isn't-working-sorry-for-not-explaining-better-

All-I-found-was-a-listing-on-Ancestry-com-but-cannot-view-the-manifest-on-the-internet... :? now-that-you-have-an-Arrival Date:  of 5 Oct 1906 -it-could-be-easier-to-find-the-manifest-at-the-archives?? :wink: :?:

my-kid-spilled-grape-juice-on-my-keyboard-but-now-after-3-days-I-can-finally-type-something :roll:

any-Sylvester-Alduino's-in-the-family?
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

mfjp wrote:Italian Passengers to Louisiana, 1905-10
Name:   Francesco Castrogiovanni
Arrival Date: 5 Oct 1906
Age/Gender/Marital Status:  34/m/m
Native Country/Town:   Giuliana
Destination:   N.O.,La.
Ship:   lazio
Hi Frank,

Mfjp was right with the information above. If you would want to view that manifest, you can order and rent the microfilm from your local Family History Center for about $3.50 a roll.

Here is the film number for the above information on the passenger record.

film number 1454868 date of ship arrival: June 1, 1906--Oct. 31, 1906

Also there is microfilm for the town of Giuliana. It is limited for Civil Records, but there are also Church records that might be of some help to you. You can also order and rent the microfilm at your local Family History Center for about $3.50 a roll.

Remember the film is in Italian. And as Wldspirit stated, the book by Lynn Nelson is a good source to use.

Here is the link for the Civil Records of Giuliana.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

Church Records for Giuliana
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

Finding your local Family History Center
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Have a good one
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Hi Frank,
I to was born in Chicago....of the many places my mom has lived, Louisianna was one of them. Near a small town outside of Baton Rouge called Wilson.

Back to genealogy.....if you have the time and the patience, it is not neccesary to hire a professional. Research is free...save for the cost of documents. You are lucky to have had your town of origin microfilmed. You will be able to research at your leisure and you can copy all that you find. Copy prices range from a quarter to fifty cents........

You can also write to Italy for request of records, there are form letters available if you do not read/write Italian. Request can be made to the
ufficio di stato civile for birth, marriage and death. Also a stato di famiglia storico (historical state of the family) and it documents not those present in a household at a given time, but all members of the family, past and present, including those who moved away or died. Military and consription records can also be requested, all Italian males age 18 had to register.
Addresses can be obtained by request at this site or found in Trafford Cole's book.

I myself am going to hire suanj to help with my research in Italy, as my town of origin has not been microfilmed, :cry: (added bonus, she is actually in Italy, not the U.S.) she amazes me with her vast knowledge.......she is an expert on names, locations and history.

Feel free to ask anything of this site, there is a great team effort here. It really is a wonderful site..........
wldspirit
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

[quote="wldspirit"]I myself am going to hire suanj to help with my research in Italy, as my town of origin has not been microfilmed, :cry: (added bonus, she is actually in Italy, not the U.S.) she amazes me with her vast knowledge.......she is an expert on names, locations and history.
quote]

Hi,

I was amazed to read the response that someone was hiring Suanj to do their research. I did not know Suanj was a Professional Genealogist. I thought Suanj was an Artist. http://digilander.libero.it/suanj/suanj/

I am also now questioning Suanj's motives when she asked me to do research for the town of Isernia. I was wondering if my good nature of getting these documents were for her personal use or for business use. I was under the impression they were for her own genealogy. Now I question this!

Please don't misinterpret my comment, I was just totally surprised that all of a sudden Suanj is charging people for professional genealogy when I thought she is really an Artist. The bottom line is that anyone can conduct genealogical research but only those who are certified should be referred to as a professional.

Everyone here can conduct their own genealogy, all you need is time and patience. Don't forget there could be microfilm for your ancestor's town so check the Family History Center - http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp. Just do a place search to see if there is film available. If there is, then go to your local Family History Center, order and rent the film for about $3.50 a roll.

If there isn't film then you might want to write to the town itself. Here is the link for a form letter that you can use to write for Civil Records. http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp Make sure you put two International Return Coupons in with your request. They use these Coupons as Return Postage. The International Return Coupon costs about $1.80 each and can be found at your local Post Office and Airmail usually costs about $0.80. It might take 1-6 months for a reply back.

Don't forget a great book to get is "The Genealogist's Guide to Discovering your Italian Ancestors" by Lynn Nelson. It's an excellent "how-to" book. Plus you have the wonderful people on this forum who are so eager to help any way they can. I do wish everyone luck with their research.

Trish
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Actually......it would be your motives that I would question after reading your post.........

wldspirit :roll: