Help on Family Crest!

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
MascheroniBR
Rookie
Rookie

Help on Family Crest!

Post by MascheroniBR »

Hello Everyone!
First of all let me introduce myself, my name is Mauricio Mascheroni, I'm 23ys old. I live in Petropolis -Rio de Janeiro State - Brazil.

This is my first post here, but actually I've been reading the topics on this forum for a while, It is amazing the stories and facts the you all discover and share, it is very exciting!
That drove me to begin a quest to learn everything I can from my ancerstors and genealogy. I'll ask for guidance on the proper forum when I need your help, as I am totally noob on the subject.

First of all, I always wondered if my family has a Crest... none of my oldest living family members know anything about it. I've already searched the internet and some books from the Town's Library but with no success at all, does anybody can help me to find out?
My family Mascheroni comes from the northen region of Italy, - Varese, Lombardia, Comunna di Cairate. Grandpa left Cairate around 1910~1920 during the 1st world war.

Thanks!
Squigy
Master
Master

Re: Help on Family Crest!

Post by Squigy »

Mauricio,

A Coat of Arms doesn't work the way many people think it does. First, not every family had a Coat of Arms, in fact, a Coat of Arms belonged to an individual, and was passed down from eldest son to eldest son, like a title (the current bearer's immediate family could also bear the arms to indicate their relation to the bearer). Basically, a Coat of Arms was not awarded to everyone, and when it was, it passed to individuals, not families. It may however be fun to do some research and see if a Mascheroni ever had a Coat of Arms, but don't fall for websites that say your family did have one, and then try to get you to buy a copy. Hope this helped!

P.S.
This link may help: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
MascheroniBR
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MascheroniBR »

Squigy wrote:Mauricio,

A Coat of Arms doesn't work the way many people think it does. First, not every family had a Coat of Arms, in fact, a Coat of Arms belonged to an individual, and was passed down from eldest son to eldest son, like a title (the current bearer's immediate family could also bear the arms to indicate their relation to the bearer). Basically, a Coat of Arms was not awarded to everyone, and when it was, it passed to individuals, not families. It may however be fun to do some research and see if a Mascheroni ever had a Coat of Arms, but don't fall for websites that say your family did have one, and then try to get you to buy a copy. Hope this helped!

P.S.
This link may help: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms
I see... I always thought that a Coat of Arms was something that represented a family as a whole, not an individual. There is really a misconception on this subject, I appreciate your help!
These websites that sell info on your genealogy, coat of arms, etc...I think most of them are just meant to take money from you...I mean, with Photoshop anyone could create a nice Coat of Arms nowadays! :lol:
I Would never pay for something like that!

Anyway, maybe a Mascheroni had a Coat of arms in the past! :roll:
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

MascheroniBR wrote: These websites that sell info on your genealogy coat of arms, etc...I think most of them are just meant to take money from you...I mean, with Photoshop anyone could create a nice Coat of Arms nowadays! :lol:
I Would never pay for something like that!

Anyway, maybe a Mascheroni had a Coat of arms in the past! :roll:
Yes, definitely. A lot of people get taken in by these Coat of Arms websites, which are really just scams.

Anyway, be sure to post again if you ever need help with your genealogy!!
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito