Working in Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Working in Italy

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Anyone consider moving to and working in Italia after they get their citizenship recognized? I'm still in the midst of the whole JS process, but was wondering if anyone has tried doing this? The economy in Italy (much like here) isn't exactly booming at the moment, but I'd guess jobs could be found. Anyone with experience or research on moving to the old country?
caridimondo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Working in Italy

Post by caridimondo »

I definitely plan on trying to live/work there at some point. I currently work in marketing/adverstising so it would be tough to break into that industry in Italy without being fluent in the language. My Italian skills are intermediate at best but part of the reason I want to move there is to eventually become fluent.

A common option I am considering is taking the CELTA course for teaching English because I have a friend that did it and said it was very easy to land a job with that certification. It's not a ton of money by any means but it's probably the easiest job to find if you don't have the language skills needed for some other "legit" job.

I'd love to hear what others plan on doing..
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Check out the www.expatsinitaly forum. There you'll find quite a few people doing just that.
caridimondo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by caridimondo »

I spent the first hour of my day on expats reading a bunch of posts on teaching in Italy haha. That's a great site. I'd still be interested to hear if anyone plans on obtaining any business related, film, fashion, etc. jobs and what their plans are. Because ultimately, that would be ideal for me to have a full-time gig. Teaching is a last resort but I think I could end up enjoying it.
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

I've also considered teaching English (I actually have a Master's in teaching and certification to teach High School History and English here in Pennsylvania, although I haven't taught much since graduating back in 04).

My Italian is pretty good, at least as far as reading goes, my speaking skills are definitely not up to par, but much like you part of the reason I plan on making the jump is to get the language locked down.

It would be a dream to live in the old world for awhile, gotta convince the wifey though...
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
caridimondo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by caridimondo »

Ah yes, the girl dilemma. I am recently single which is part of the reason I feel like I NEED to do this before I am locked down again. Even when I was with my girlfriend, plans to live in Italy were in the back of my mind, but I'd make excuses for not wholeheartedly pursuing it. Now I have no excuse aside from having to quit my job, which I'm not too bent out of shape about since I'm 25 and have the rest of my life to do the 9-5 thing.

I might be taking some language classes at Filitalia in south philly soon. It's only $150 for a 10 week course. Figured I'd take the intermediate courses to refresh my memory and maybe meet some people I can practice with in the future. Anyone know of any other good Italian courses in the city for adults?
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Yeah, you are in a nice spot to make the jump, I've got a wife and a couple kids, which makes logistics a little harder with earning enough to support all us, 25 is a nice time to do this.

I'm not sure whats in Philly, but online I enjoyed LiveMocha.com, it's free and you can speak with people in Italy online and have them "grade" your work. Also, I've found Pimsleur and Rosetta Stone helpful, but I was able to get them from the local library - I'm not sure I would pay for them.

Of course, best of all would be studying in Italy.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
caridimondo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by caridimondo »

Your situation is definitely a bit more complex with a wife and kids, but still possible if the family is on board and you can find some work.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check out that site for sure. I'll do what I can in the states but you're right, the best way to learn is being in Italy.