Surname ANSONIA

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vjansonia

Surname ANSONIA

Post by vjansonia »

I am researching the Ansonia family in Italy. In the UK Census it has that they were from Genoa but I believe this may be just from where they sailed. I can not find any record of the name in Italy but have found Ausonia. The continental 'u' may have looked like an 'n'. I know the family desperately wanted to be English as they immediately anglicised their first names so they would have accepted this.
Has anybody heard of either name and where I could look for more help in Italy? Unfortunately they emmigrated to England in around 1860 before any census would have been taken.
Thank you
Valerie
TTouchRocks

Re: Surname ANSONIA

Post by TTouchRocks »

Hi - hope you still visit this site - trying to track down members of the Ansonia family - Giovani Ansonia travelled from Genoa to Liverpool in the late 1800's - my friend (now deceased) was related to him and I have some old photos of Giovani Ansonia and his son (and their wives) that I would like to give back to the family. Are you related???? My email is sfhome@btinternet.com
ManchesterRambler

Re: Surname ANSONIA

Post by ManchesterRambler »

Hello TTouchRocks

My grandmother was called Ansonia before she was married to my Grandfather. She was from Liverpool - born early 1900s. She always described herself as an orphan - her father died when she was about 3 years old, and her mother a short time later. Her first name was Connie.

Don't know whether you are able to link her in to the other information that you have - but we don't know much about her and it would be good to know more!

Don't know what her father did but my Aunt thinks he might have been a photographer in or near Liverpool.

With thanks in anticipation.