Giovanni Sturla

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
charlotte

Giovanni Sturla

Post by charlotte »

I am hoping someone can help, please?
I am looking for information of Giovanni Sturla b 1856 maybe in the Mezzanego area of Italy. He married my grandma Maria Granelli in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England on May 10 1882 and he died in Sheffield in 1894. His father was Guiseppi.He was Maria's first husband she married my grandfather Domenico Rebori in 1896.
I would be most grateful for any replies.
Thank you
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Giovanni Sturla

Post by Paolo47 »

Hello Charlotte,

You can try writing to the Province of Genova and asking them to search their records for the birth act of Giovanni, born in 1856 in Mezzanego. Their email... as-ge@beniculturali.it
found at http://archivi.beniculturali.it/ASGE/asge.htm

A good site for generating letters (There are many on the www)
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

Hope this helps,
Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

As an aside, I don't know if this is more or less accurate, but birth date may be closer to 1858?

1891 England Census about Giovanni Sturla
Name: Giovanni Sturla
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1858
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Maria Sturla
Where born: Italy

Civil parish: Sheffield
Ecclesiastical parish: Moorfields St Jude
County/Island: Yorkshire

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Sheffield
Sub-registration district: North Sheffield
ED, institution, or vessel: 5
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Giovanni Sturla 33
Maria Sturla 33
Rosa Sturla 6
Domenico Sturla 5
Angelo Sturla 3
Olinda Sturla 1
Giacomo Solari 75
Domenico Crebori 31
Luigi Cappello 28
Morrie Strock 24
Soilman Salmanoerite 18

Click to enlarge; click again for maximum magnification.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Hi
There is a 1881 census for England for Anthony Granelli born 1841 with wife Maria from Parma Italy occupation Ice cream seller possible Maria Granelli mom and dad?
So maybe go with the Parma route for Maria's records

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

A long-shot perhaps, but the church where these christenings were performed may have records with additional information:

Name: Jno. Maria Sturla
Baptism/Christening Date: 22 Apr 1883
Baptism/Christening Place: St. Vincent of Paul, Sheffield, York, England
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Joannis Sturla
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Mariae Grannelli
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I05287-2
System Origin: England-EASy
Source Film Number: 1941826
Reference Number:

Name: Dominicus Sturla
Baptism/Christening Date: 27 Sep 1885
Baptism/Christening Place: St. Vincent of Paul, Sheffield, York, England
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Johannis Sturla
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Mariae Granelli
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I05287-2
System Origin: England-EASy
Source Film Number: 1941826
Reference Number: p258

I found these at familysearch.org ( https://www.familysearch.org/search/sea ... Id=1473014 ). There may be additional records of interest.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Perhaps this is (was) the church mentioed above? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Vincent ... _Sheffield
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Probable burial of Giovanni and Maria's son, Dominic:

STURLA, DOMONIC (buried St Patrick's section, age 52yr).
Died at 37 COLLEGE RD, ROTHERHAM; Buried on April 22, 1936 in Roman Catholic ground; Grave Number 18, Section PA of St Michaels RC Cemetery, Rivelin

More importantly, this is almost certainly Giovanni's burial record:

STURLAR, JOHN (buried St Patrick's section, age 38yr). Died at DISPENSARY; Buried on December 17, 1894 in Roman Catholic ground; Grave Number 18, Section PA of St Michaels RC Cemetery, Rivelin.

Both found at http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/BurialIndex.html

The cemetery has a website at http://www.saintmichaelscemetery.org/
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I am not 100% certain, but this may be the church which holds the christening records from the now-closed St Vincent de Paul mentioned in my earlier post: http://crookes.catholicweb.com/

I would try contacting both the church and St. Michael's cemetery seeking any and all records concerning Giovanni's marriage, the christening of his children, and his death. Any of these records may include an accurate place of birth for Giovanni.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

More info:

From: http://www.west-bar-italians.co.uk/#/ma ... 4535702675

Giovanni Sturla married Maria Granelli May 10, 1882. Maria's father was Antonio.

You may find other items of interest at this site. The menu on the left of the page scrolls; use the arrows at top and bottom to ensure that you are seeing all available choices.
Carmine

charlotte

Post by charlotte »

Hello Carmine,
Thank you for your interest in my message and for the info you have found.

Re west bar italians Julie set up this website and I added with my info re Rebori Story so I am familiar with this site.

I have all the info you have posted as I have spent many hours at Sheffield Archives searching the St Vincents records.

I seem to be at a standstill as I have not found Giovanni before his marriage to my grandma Maria Granelli in 1882 in Sheffield, and I wanted to see if I could go further back to Italy.
I will keep up the search and thank you once again
charlotte

Post by charlotte »

Hello Paul,
Thank you for your reply and the info you gave pointing me in the direction of contacting the records in Province of Genoa.
I will do this and hope I get some interesting info.
Thanks once again
charlotte

Post by charlotte »

Hello Marty,
Thank you for your reply.
I was not sure that this Antonio Granelli was the father of my grandma Maria. I assumed that they were still in Santa Maria del Taro.
This may give me another road to continue my search.
Again thank you.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Charlotte,

Does this mean that you have been unsuccessful obtaining actual marriage/christening/birth/death records? In the US, these would indicate Giovanni's place of birth - possibly limited to simply "Italy" or possibly more specific.

You are unlikely to have much success with the state archives of Genova. Generally birth records must be obtained from the comune itself and, in any event, all state archives records are filed first by comune, so they cannot find anything unless you know the comune with certainty. Also, they do not function as researchers and will sometimes testily point that out. Given specific information, they will locate, copy, and forward a record at minimal expense; for any research beyond that limited scope, they suggest you contract with a professional researcher.

Since you seem to have reason to believe that Giovanni was born in Mezzanego, that is the best place to begin. You can write, in Italian, to this address:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Mezzanego
Via Cap. Fr. Gandolfo, 115
16046 MEZZANEGO (GE)
ITALY

email: demografia@comunemezzanego.it (remove the spaces)
web: http://www.comunemezzanego.it/

Sample letters can be found here http://italiangenealogy.com/forum/viewt ... ds#p108741

and here http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp
Carmine

pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Civil records in Italy (especially in the north) began on around 1866. The Civil registrations in Mezzanego began on 1866, so your only option to obtain birth certificate is to ask for Giovanni Sturla baptism act to the Church of Mezzanego...
Sturla is a very common lastname on the area... Mezzanego had several churches also in the hamlets...

Laura
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

pink67 wrote:Civil records in Italy (especially in the north) began on around 1866. The Civil registrations in Mezzanego began on 1866...
Good point! Most of my research has been in areas where civil records go back to the early 1800's, so I tend to forget about the limitations in other areas.

Charlotte, have you looked into immigration records from the UK Archives? I have never seen one, so I don't know what information they might carry.
Carmine