Belmonte

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Naples13
Rookie
Rookie

Belmonte

Post by Naples13 »

I have ancestors on the passenger manifest coming over from the port of Napoli but says they are from Belmonte. When I search this area, I get more than one place. How do I know which to search first for records? The family I am looking for is Giuseppa DiPaola Peraine and her kids Marie (the most important) 1899 coming to NY to see her husband Benedetto.

Also Giovanni LaRosa of Belmonte
Researching surnames Nappo, Naples, Napoli, LaRosa, Sorrentino, Gambino. Also searching for info in Poggiomarino.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Belmonte

Post by liviomoreno »

Naples13 wrote:I have ancestors on the passenger manifest coming over from the port of Napoli but says they are from Belmonte. When I search this area, I get more than one place. How do I know which to search first for records? The family I am looking for is Giuseppa DiPaola Peraine and her kids Marie (the most important) 1899 coming to NY to see her husband Benedetto.

Also Giovanni LaRosa of Belmonte
If I read well the Manifest the surname is Pirainoand there is a Benedetto Piraino, 38yo, from Belmonte who arrived in New York on Feb 23, 1893.
The surname Piraino is present in Belmonte Mezzagno (Province of Palermo)

BTW Giuseppa Di Paola and her 6 kids did not sail on the S.S. Sempione in 1899, their names are crossed out.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

liviomoreno wrote:BTW Giuseppa Di Paola and her 6 kids did not sail on the S.S. Sempione in 1899, their names are crossed out.
@Naples13: As Livio indicated, crossed out names nearly always mean the person(s) did not sail on that ship. Very occasionally it means they are listed again on another page in the same manifest.

Often you will find the same person(s) sailing on another ship within days or weeks of the first "crossed out" voyage.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Naples13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Naples13 »

Thank you both, they appear twice in 1899...Once in August and once in November.
Researching surnames Nappo, Naples, Napoli, LaRosa, Sorrentino, Gambino. Also searching for info in Poggiomarino.