Papania - Sansone

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kgp70282
Veteran
Veteran

Papania - Sansone

Post by kgp70282 »

My Great Grandmother was Maria Sansone. Her Married name was Sciabarrasi she lived in Baltimore, Md. She was born on December 13, 1891 in Palermo Sicily. Her parents were Francis Sansone and Maria Papania. I was told through my family that her parents passed by the time she was 10yrs old. She was put in a convent in Palermo. I am just wondering if there is by some chance anyone who might recognize these names..
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Papania - Sansone

Post by suanj »

Hi, I believe that this record is abt your Maria Sansone, full italian name: Maria Giuseppa Sansone, coming from Termini Imerese, Palermo, Sicily, IT, in travel with godmother Piraino Domenica, final destination Baltimore MD:

First Name: Mani Giuseppa (Maria Giuseppa)
Last Name: Sansane (Sansone)
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Cernuni, Palermo ( Termini=Termini Imerese, Palermo, Sicily, IT)
Date of Arrival: Jun 11, 1911
Age at Arrival: 20y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Martha Washington
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0008

pag 1 http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0008
pag 2 http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0008
joining at son of Domenica Piraino: Giovanni Papania in Baltimore, MD...
hoping helpful,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
kgp70282
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kgp70282 »

Oh my Gosh, Thank you! I really appreciate it. I was trying to figure out how to connect Maria Papania to the Papania's I have found and with that manifest you sent I think I have figured out who one of her brothers was. You see above Domenica's name was a Ann Cordaro and hand-written was the name Papania. Ann is Giovanni's wife I looked them up on Ancestry. They have a son Salvatore and he stood for my Great Grandmother and Great Grandfather at their wedding. Thank you so much again!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

happy of help you!
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
kgp70282
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kgp70282 »

Yes it was a big help, I also found out that Domenica Piraino isn't my Great Grandmother's Godmother she is actually her Grandmother. It has been so helpful. However, I do have a question. I was looking at the manifest and the area of the manifest where is asks for the address of the nearest relative or friend where alien came from. I know there was writen Friend Angelo Battista however there was something infront of his name I believe it started with the letter C, I can't seem to make it out what it is. Would you happen to know what it is or means?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

the name is Angelo BATTAGLIA and not Angelo BATTISTA.. the word before of Angelo name seeming " Cap." maybe Capitano/Captain but is hard to say.. because really I read only "Ca_."? Cap. Cag.? it is no much readable sorry...
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
kgp70282
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kgp70282 »

Ahh, ok Thank you! It was kind of hard for me to make out. I really appreciate the help. :)