Any advice or leads?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Lisa Grant

Any advice or leads?

Post by Lisa Grant »

Hello,
We are working on our family tree and we have come to a stop.

Great Grandfather, Nicholas (maybe Nicola) Walsh, was born, we believe in 1862 in Trieste , Trieste , Friuli-Venezia Giulia , Italy .
His parents are Frank (maybe Francis/Francesco?) Walsh and Kate (Caterina) Felbris (or FABRIS/FELWIS).

We would like as much information as possible, birth details/certificate and any information regarding the ship Nicholas departed on - eventually ending up in Victoria, Australia.

Can anyone provide more info or a link for where to start searching. Ive been told many records have been destroyed and maybe Trieste Cathedral has original births/Christenings?

Thank you in advance.
Lisa
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Any advice or leads?

Post by Paolo47 »

Hello Lisa, :D

If you haven't done this, you might try writing to
the Province of Trieste and ask for the birth act for your ggrandfather. Notice they have a email.
Here is a site to use for your letter.
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

Hope this helps,
Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by acartia »

Lisa are you working on this from Australia? If you are,I suppose you have checked various records available in Australia for assisted, un-assisted etc arrivals in Australia. Maybe you have tried those but could not find the person you are interested in,and that is why you are trying from the other end for the departure ship? I am in Australia, and have not as yet found a family that arrived from Ireland in the 1800s. Lets know if you are in Australia, or working on this from another country. John
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Lisa,

I love it when people mention Australia because that country's national archives contain great records and offer a great web-based search tool as well!

Go to http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/SearchOld.asp?O=NS Enter walsh in the Family name box and select Immigration and naturalisation records from the Category list. Australian immigration & Naturalization records I have seen in the past are very complete and always include a copy of the applicant's birth certificate. Sometimes these records are already digitized and available for instant download/viewing; other times you must order a copy for a reasonable fee.

One record which might be of interest:

free image hosting

You can get to this record directly by entering "walsh nicholas" (without the quotes) in the Family name box. After clicking Display, you will see a link near the top-right corner for "Request copy."
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Lisa Grant

Post by Lisa Grant »

Thank you all so much for your time and suggestions.

I'm exited to start following them all up.

And yes John, am in Australia so will definitly try and find the info for assisted, un-assisted etc arrivals in Australia. Do you have a site or a contact you could advise?

THanks again.

Lisa :D
acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by acartia »

So you are in Australia Lisa, I was not sure, as to what records you had available, not so much on-line but the records in local libraries etc. I am in Perth.I have only just started back in genealogy after more than a 15 years break. I have just started on my Italian side, which I have put off doing until last as I cannot speak or read Italian. Even my knowledge of records in Australia is very rusty after a long break away from it.I had a look today, and found 5 Nicholas Walsh on the unassisted passenger lists into Victoria 1852-1923.The first 3 cannot be your`s as they are too early. But there is a Nicholas who arrived on the Australasian in 1886. It stated he was 18 years old.So born about 1868.Well your Nicholas was born in 1862.A bit of difference there, but sometimes these dates can be wrong or given wrong. There was a later arrival but he would have been born at about 1879, so we will rule him out.There were none at all under Nicholas Walsh in the assisted passenger list( to be assisted I would think you had to come from Britain anyhow).If I was computer smart I would send the link direct onto this post but I am not computer smart,so best say try this on google.......assisted and unassisted passengers to Victoria.......It is part of the Public records office of Victoria. The Australasian one could be a chance, but you will need to get the full passenger list off microfiche from a library somewhere or possibly order it through the Public records site.They may give some better clues like his nationality on the actual passenger list. Best of luck and let us know how you go. PS the link Carmine gave for naturalisation in 1898 may fit in with this same Nicholas as well.John
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

John,

That is so cool! I have never seen these Australian passneger lists before.

Here is the link: http://www.access.prov.vic.gov.au/publi ... ide050.jsp
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)