Birth certificate of comune...necessary for Philly?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ericataylor22
Rookie
Rookie

Birth certificate of comune...necessary for Philly?

Post by ericataylor22 »

I have been reading that different consulates will or will not require the Italian birth certificate prior to issuing passport. Does anyone know if BC is necessary before passport in Philly?

I may have a time crunch if long wait for BC from comune, IF it required in Philly. Any insight?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Birth certificate of comune...necessary for Philly?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

In the one post I found on this topic (on another forum), the person said that he obtained his passport from Philadelphia using only the completed application form, a pair of photos, and a copy of the letter of citizenship recognition previously received from the consulate. This is similar to the way NYC operates.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

If you need your Italian passport by such and such a date you're because you are moving to Italy and establishing residence there, then you should inform your consulate of this fact and they will expedite your passport. If you're not moving permanently to Italy, then you don't have a crunch time and you don't need an Italian passport to go over there as a tourist.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

My appt with Philly is in a week and a half. Ill find out when I get there and write my experience on the board
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Best of luck with your apointment. Philly processed my case and they were very accommodating with making sure I had my passport before I moved to Italy.