Lorenzo/Lawrence Anselmo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Betty Heaton

Lorenzo/Lawrence Anselmo

Post by Betty Heaton »

My great grandmother, Alma Elliott, married, first Stanislao Fenoglio (born 1857 and died about 1905) and second, Lorenzo/Lawrence Anselmo (born 1873 and died 1958). We have been told Grandpa Lorenzo was born in Torino and believe he came to the US in 1884 at about age 11. His father was Antonio Anselmo. Because we have no exact birth location for either great grandfather we have not been able to find out anything about them and their families in Italy. Is there a way to check birthplaces in Italy without exact locations? Thank you for any ideas.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Lorenzo/Lawrence Anselmo

Post by Italysearcher »

The short answer is NO!
Check the church marriage record. Sometimes the priest would record the town of birth if no baptism record was available.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Betty Heaton wrote:My great grandmother, Alma Elliott, married, first Stanislao Fenoglio (born 1857 and died about 1905) and second, Lorenzo/Lawrence Anselmo (born 1873 and died 1958). We have been told Grandpa Lorenzo was born in Torino and believe he came to the US in 1884 at about age 11. His father was Antonio Anselmo. Because we have no exact birth location for either great grandfather we have not been able to find out anything about them and their families in Italy. Is there a way to check birthplaces in Italy without exact locations? Thank you for any ideas.
by 1930 census, Lorenzo arrived in 1900, alien:

1930 United States Federal Census about Lawrence Anselmo
Name: Lawrence Anselmo
Home in 1930: Cle Elum, Kittitas, Washington
View Map

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1876
Birthplace: Yugoslavia ( no: Italy right)

Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Alma Anselmo
Race: White

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace:
View image

Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age
Lawrence Anselmo
Alma Anselmo

in the other censuses the birthplace is Italy; here the 1910:
1910 United States Federal Census
about Loveys Anadon Name: Loveys Anadon
[Loronzo Anselmo]
Age in 1910: 39
Estimated Birth Year: 1871
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
[Self (Head)]
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's Name: Alma Anadon
Home in 1910: Bandon, Coos, Oregon
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Year of immigration: 1890
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Loveys Anadon 39
Alma Anadon 36
Phillis Anadon 3
Charles Anadon 1
Alma Anadon 6/12
[0]
John Fimglie 20 ( Fenoglio)
Mary M Fimglie 15 (ditto)

the Lorenzo birthyear ( 1871)seeming more probable then 1876 or 1873... as a well more probable is the 1890 immigration year; I found this record:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Lorenzo Angelmo
Name: Lorenzo Angelmo ( Anselmo)
Arrival Date: 27 Oct 1890
Birth Year: abt 1870
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Place of Origin: Italy

Port of Departure: Boulogne Sur Mer, France and Rotterdam, Netherlands
Destination: United States of America
Port of Arrival: New York
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States
Ship Name: Obdam

http://img580.imageshack.us/i/lorenzoi.jpg/
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Betty Heaton

Post by Betty Heaton »

Yes, it seems that Lorenzo Anselmo's date of immigration to the US was closer to 1990. I connected recently with his grandchildren and was told that family oral history has him traveling with Felix Rosia and Angelo Merlino. Apparently the three men came across on the same ship together, traveled across the US together and Felix Rosia and Angelo Merlino opened businesses in Seattle, Washington and Lorenzo Anselmo went to Bandon Oregon and had either a bar or brewery there. The three men maintained contact for many years. I don't know if they were from the same place but all could have been from Torino.
thomash43

Post by thomash43 »

Betty,

My name is Hollie Thomas and I think we may be related somehow. My grandmother was Alma Rose Anselmo (her married name was Brandt). Her father was Lorenzo Anselmo and mother was Alma Elliot. They also had another daughter named Phyllis.

I have trying been to research my grandmothers family background and have not had much luck as we did not get a lot of information from her. I stumbled upon this website and put my great grandfather name in and was surprised when this information came up.

If you would like to contact me, my email address is thomash43@peoplepc.com, I am on facebook under Hollie Thomas or my phone # is 253-592-7502. I live in Puyallup, WA.

Thanks

Hollie Thomas
lee5118@aol.com

Post by lee5118@aol.com »

Hi, I know we are related. Lorenzo anselmo was my grandfather. Please let's get in touch.
Susangene

Post by Susangene »

I have photos of Laurence, Phyllis and Alma Anselmo, but can't figure out how to upload them here. Contact me if you would like copies.
Betty Heaton

Post by Betty Heaton »

We have still not located a village or family in Italy for our great-grandfather Lorenzo Ansemo but I can report that, through the Italian Genealogy site, we have been able to reconnect with several long lost cousins in the United States who have generously shared photographs of our great-grandparents and their children. Thank you all for making this possible.