What will a Marriage certificate tell me?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rancelli
Elite
Elite

What will a Marriage certificate tell me?

Post by rancelli »

From the year 1886-87? Will it list where both my great grandparents were from? Thanks to one of the members on here I think he directed me to the right location of where my great grandmother came from. I'm hoping it will say where my great grandfather was born.
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Re: What will a Marriage certificate tell me?

Post by rancelli »

i wanted to ask another question. do state employee's in italy ever print up fake birth or marriage records?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

rancelli wrote:i wanted to ask another question. do state employee's in italy ever print up fake birth or marriage records?
Curious to know what exactly you are asking here. Do you mean, "will they fake a document if I ask them / pay them to do so?"

Or, do you mean, "do they ever create fake documents on a whim or for other nefarious reasons?"

In either case, I suspect the answer would be a firm No!, but ...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

rancelli wrote:From the year 1886-87? Will it list where both my great grandparents were from? Thanks to one of the members on here I think he directed me to the right location of where my great grandmother came from. I'm hoping it will say where my great grandfather was born.
An "Estratto per Riassunto per Atto di Matrimonio" will include the bride and groom's places and dates of birth.

A "Copia Integrale dell'atto di Matrimonio" will be a photocopy of the original handwritten entry in the marriage register. It will also include the bride & groom's occupations and the names of their parents.

For the most possible information, what you really want are the banns or "Pubblicazione di Atto di Matrimonio." This set of documents will often include copies of the bride and groom's birth certificates along with tons of other genealogically important data.

If I may be so bold, I suggest you pick up a copy of Italian Genealogical Records: How to Use Italian Civil, Ecclesiastical & Other Records in Family History Research by Trafford R. Cole. It is an invaluable guidebook!
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Post by rancelli »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
rancelli wrote:i wanted to ask another question. do state employee's in italy ever print up fake birth or marriage records?
Curious to know what exactly you are asking here. Do you mean, "will they fake a document if I ask them / pay them to do so?"

Or, do you mean, "do they ever create fake documents on a whim or for other nefarious reasons?"

In either case, I suspect the answer would be a firm No!, but ...
i was just wondering if they did send fake documents sometimes if they were unsuccessful in finding the records.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

rancelli wrote:i was just wondering if they did send fake documents sometimes if they were unsuccessful in finding the records.
I suspect that would be a prosocutable offense which serves no benefit to the official and lots of risk.
Carmine

rancelli
Elite
Elite

Post by rancelli »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
rancelli wrote:i was just wondering if they did send fake documents sometimes if they were unsuccessful in finding the records.
I suspect that would be a prosocutable offense which serves no benefit to the official and lots of risk.
thank you for your answer.