Looking for info - Parino & La Brasca from Palermo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Niefia

Looking for info - Parino & La Brasca from Palermo

Post by Niefia »

Hi Everyone

I'm new to this list. I'm looking for any information I can find on my grandparents. Both came from Santa Christina (wherever that is) Palermo Sicily. I remember my mother telling me they came into the USA through Ellis Island. I have found the name of the ships they came over on but so far have been unsuccessful in retrieving info from the Ellis Island site. Both came over in 1904 (my grandfather in April & my grandmother in June) My Grandmother was named Angelina La Brasca & was born in 1885. My Grandfather was named Guiseppi Parino & was born on 1880. If anyone has suggestions about how I can find remaining relatives in Silicy or further information about my grandparents I'd appreciate the help. As I age, I'm finding it important to pass on to my children information about their roots.

Thank You So Much
NRZ
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Looking for info - Parino & La Brasca from Palermo

Post by suanj »

Niefia wrote:Hi Everyone

I'm new to this list. I'm looking for any information I can find on my grandparents. Both came from Santa Christina (wherever that is) Palermo Sicily. I remember my mother telling me they came into the USA through Ellis Island. I have found the name of the ships they came over on but so far have been unsuccessful in retrieving info from the Ellis Island site. Both came over in 1904 (my grandfather in April & my grandmother in June) My Grandmother was named Angelina La Brasca & was born in 1885. My Grandfather was named Guiseppi Parino & was born on 1880. If anyone has suggestions about how I can find remaining relatives in Silicy or further information about my grandparents I'd appreciate the help. As I age, I'm finding it important to pass on to my children information about their roots.

Thank You So Much
NRZ
Well, the exact spelling is PARRINO;
about Giuseppe... are this record of an Giuseppe PARRINO, age 24, single, date of arrival 25 April 1904 from Santa Cristina(on ellis are wrote S. Flavia, but from direct reading of ship manifest are S. Cristina just ; why S. Flavia is pertaining of abowe record), final destination Sacramento, joining Luigi Parrino brother

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... NM=PARRINO&.. your suggestions?

Regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Niefia

Post by Niefia »

Hi Suanj

Thanks for responding. The misspelling may explain why I wasn't able to find him. He did settle in Sacramento. I'm surprised - I didn't know my grandfather had a brother! I never heard my mother speak of that relative.

NRZ
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Thank You So Much
NRZ
Hi NRZ,

The Family History Center has microfilm for the town of Santa Cristina Gela (Palermo). I believe this is the town you are looking for.

You can order and rent the microfilm for about $3.50 a roll depending on your location. The microfilm goes from 1902-1820. You should be able to find birth, marriage, and death acts of your ancestors.

The link below is the film numbers.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

The link below is where to find your nearest Family History Center.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

The microfilm is in Italian, and a good book to get is "A Genealogist Guide to Discovering your Italian Ancestors", by Lynn Nelson. It's very easy to read and understand.

Also, try to get as much information as you can from the USA on your ancestors, such as Death Certificates and/or Marriage Application. These documents could have the parents' names listed and will help you when you are researching the microfilm.

I hope this is of some help.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Is this your family:
PARINO JOE 40 M W ITAL CA SACRAMENTO SACRAMENTO 1920
Joe age 40 immigration 1904
Angelina age 31 immigration 1904
Mary age 13
Margarita age 4
Rosie age 1

wldspirit
Niefia

Post by Niefia »

Hi Wldspirt

Yes I believe that is my family. My mother was Rose, & I had 2 aunts (all decesed now) that were named Mary & Margaret.

Boy, this research feels overwhelming. I don't know how you experts do it! I just tried to pull up the censes from the 1910's, 1020's & 1930's for California and hit a brick wall. Probably wasn't looking under the right link.

I'm still looking for info on my grandmother - just found documents (hard copy of her naturalization papers) that spelled her name La Braska -so I'm going to try that spelling in the Ellis Island site & see if I get any hits.

Thanks again,
NRZ
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Sometimes Ellis Island site can be finicky......I like to use this search site,
seems to return better results. Click on the button for a sounds like search,
since many manifest as well as census records are misspelled. If you can mention the names of others in your family, I will see what else I can pull up for you.

stevemorse.org

wldspirit
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi,

I don't think the correct spelling of the surname is La Braska as none show up in Ellis Island from Italy.

Debbie
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Keep in mind that this is not definitive, but here is info on a Luigi Parrino,
which can be used to locate another manifest, which may list more key info:

Surname
PARRINO

Name
LUIGI

Sex
M

Occupation
PEASANT

Literacy
U

Place of last residence
U

Destination
USA

Transit
Emigrante

Travel compartment
Ponte

Port of embarkment
NAPLES & PALERMO

Name of the ship
INIZIATIVA

Date of arrival
3/28/1888

nothing yet on LaBrasca....... :?
wldspirit
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Thank You So Much
NRZ
Hi NRZ,

Here is the death information of Angelina.

Name: PARINO, ANGELINA
Social Security #: 0
Sex: FEMALE
Birth Date: 20 May 1886
Birthplace: OTHER COUNTRY
Death Date: 12 May 1952
Death Place: SACRAMENTO
Mother's Maiden Name: CUSSAMINO
Father's Surname: LABRASCA

Here is the death information on Giuseppe (Angelina's husband).

Name: PARINO, GUISEPPE
Social Security #: 0
Sex: MALE
Birth Date: 29 Aug 1880
Death Date: 8 Dec 1957
Death Place: NAPA
Mother's Maiden Name: MATRANGA
Father's Surname: PARINO

It lists mother's maiden name. That's a great clue! I wish all States had this kind of information online.

Hope this helps
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

:oops: never mind.......wrong Angela LaBrasca....this one is going to Sacramento.....but husbands name does not match......still no luck with Luigi......maybe Trish can find him in death index??
wldspirit
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Niefia,

I found a manifest of an Angela... manifest is weak... it does mention a brother Serafino... so I looked for Serafino's census and sure enough... he's there... and I would think it is her brother... just as mentioned on the manifest I linked here below..

Looks like both Angela and Guiseppe immigrated and married within the same year 1904...

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 3486110005

First Name: Angela
Last Name: La Corasca
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: S. Cristina Gela
Date of Arrival: July 11, 1904
Age at Arrival:  17y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:    
Ship of Travel: Sicilian Prince
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0015

---------------
Name:   Serafino Labrasco (Angela's brother) immigrated in 1903
Age in 1910:   33
Estimated birth year:   abt 1877
Home in 1910:   Sutter Twp, Sacramento, California
Neighbors:   View Results
Race:   White
Series:   T624
Roll:   92
Part:   1
Page:   284A
Year:   1910

Note the names of Serafino's children.... Here is his 1910 census record.
http://img29.echo.cx/img29/7154/serf9os.jpg

mfjp
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I could not find Luigi........ :? .......or Angela.....lots of LaBrasca's coming
from S. Cristina, and some of them going to Sacramento, but they do not match up to Giuseppe Parrino........sorry.......Mfjp is REALLY great at finding manifest........hopefully she can find it for you.

Also, no Luigi on the California census, but there are other Parrino/Parino's,
including one for Sacramento.

I wish the Italian database was more complete......it only returned 8 results for Parrino/Parino. :evil:

Good Luck,
wldspirit

***I really need to start checking the board before replying from the e-mails that are sent.......evidently they are lagging behind*** :oops:
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Thank You So Much
NRZ
Hi NRZ,

I believe these are the three daughters of your grandparents, Giuseppe and Angelina. This is their death information and Married names

Name: HENSLEY, ROSE MARY PARINO
Birth Date: 28 Aug 1918
Birthplace: CALIFORNIA
Death Date: 24 Apr 1987
Mother's Maiden Name: LABRASCA

Name: BASSO, MARY ANNA
Birth Date: 4 Oct 1906
Death Date: 23 Sep 1981
Death Place: SONOMA

Name: BEARD, MARGARET FRANCES
Birth Date: 30 Jul 1915
Death Date: 6 Dec 1989
Death Place: CONTRA COSTA

Now I found this interesting. Anthony Parino's mother's maiden name is the same maiden name as Giuseppe's mother.

Name: PARINO, ANTHONY
Birth Date: 4 Mar 1875
Death Date: 11 Sep 1952
Mother's Maiden Name: MATRANGA

In the 1920 Census, I have a Louis Parino in Colorado.

Name: Louis Parino
Estimated birth year: abt 1879
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: Williamsburg, Fremont, Colorado

In 1910 in California

Name Home in 1910, I have the following:
(City,County,State) Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Race Gender

Louis Parania - 1-Wd Oakland, Alameda, CA abt 1875
Louis Parano - San Rafael Twp, Marin, CA abt 1888
Louis Parena - Otay Twp, San Diego, CA abt 1882
Louis Parini - Oneal Twp, San Joaquin, CA abt 1877
Lewis Perini - Washington Twp, Yolo, CA abt 1874

Hope this helps,
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi wldspirit, I thank you!!

Looks like we posted at the same time! I can't find her brother Serafino's manifest... but then both manifest data bases quit out on me...

I linked Serafino's census record for 1910... maybe Luigi is in the same area.

mfjp