finding family records in Scafati and Atrani

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
jgold1213

finding family records in Scafati and Atrani

Post by jgold1213 »

My grandfather was born in Scafati and my grandmother was born in Atrani in the 1880's. I have been unable to find ANY online records for these towns. I have sent emails to each of the towns but still have not heard from them. I know my all of my great-grandparents names except for my grandmother's mother but I don't know any of their siblings names or whether any of them immigrated to the US as my grandparents did. I know that Italy has family records but I don't know where they are kept. I also don't know where vital records are kept for Scafati or Atrani. Are they kept by the town or a nearby town? I will be traveling to Italy at the end of June and would like to find as much as I can. Will the same places that keep birth, marriage and death records have the family records also? Thanks!
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: finding family records in Scafati and Atrani

Post by adelfio »

This is the address that I used and got back records from Atrani
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Comune di Atrani
Snc Via Dei Dogi
84010 Atrani (SA)
Italy
Form Letters for records
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
jgold1213

Post by jgold1213 »

Thank you Marty
Accardi

Post by Accardi »

I have a full membership at ancestry.com. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.

My mother's father came to the US from Scafati in 1906. I've been trying to get any kind of info on other family members that lived in that area of Italy. It's frustrating to hit dead ends. I feel fortunate to have the information I DO have from ancestry. I'd like much more, though! :)
jgold1213

Post by jgold1213 »

Hi, Thanks for your response. Our grandfathers arrived from Scafati in the same year. I have a full membership to Ancestry, too, but it hasn't helped. That region doesn't have anything transcribed onto the site. I have tried the Family Search Center, but they don't have records of that area either. Marty that posted an answer to this question said that he had luck in writing a letter to the commune. I have done that but still haven't had a response from either place. From what I have learned, it can be difficult to find where various towns keep their records. Family Search suggested that the since the towns are part of the Salerno province, the province may have records archived. they may also be kept at a local church. Good luck with your search!
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

I'm not an expert as there are a others in this forum, but Civil records should be kept by Communes.
One copy is sent to area courts, and then should be transferred to local (province State Archives). You can look at this site (only in Italian)

http://www.archiviodistatosalerno.beniculturali.it/

to find out what they have. I'm not sure, but Salerno State Archive should only have Civil records only older than 1865.
Anyway, as I'm going to Amalfi Coast next July, I can try and ask, if you can be more specific.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
jgold1213

Post by jgold1213 »

Hi Pippo, Thanks for the link, it is a great website. I haven't yet found what I am looking for but I have found it very interesting! I know that I have to spend more time reading it.

You are living In Rome? My daughter just returned from there. We plan to return in January and tour some of the major cities but will spend some time in the Amalfi region also. I plan to visit both Atrani and Scafati in the hopes of finding my family records. Do you have any suggestions to make my search easier? I have letters sent to both communes at his time, but haven't yet heard from either.

Thank you for your insight!
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Yes, I live in Roma, but my family is from Pagani (about 6 km from Scafati), and owns a flat in Maiori (4 km from Atrani). I suppose you already know, but Atrani is a small village, and I think in town offices you will find someone who helps you. Scafati is a town of about 30.000 inhabitants; if you are not so lucky to find someone who loves genealogy, they will probably tell you they can't do it, they can't find what you're looking for, or, in the best case, that it takes a long time. Anyway, if you need something there before you come, just tell me.

lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Sorry for butting in on this post but I am needing a record from Pagani. Is there any chance you will be visiting there? If so let me know if you can be of assistance.

You can send me a private message if you like.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
jgold1213

Post by jgold1213 »

Hi Pippo,

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling that Scafati would be harder that Atrani. Are the records kept in these towns by the local offices or by one of the churches? Who keeps the stato di familgia? What can I expect when I look for records in Italy? Will they let me look through them myself and are they the original records? I have written to both communes about 5 weeks ago and haven't heard from either as of yet. The US Post Office told me that it may take as long as 4 weeks for the letters to reach them.

I will be travelling with my daughter and I am trying to do so much before I go so she won't be bored. Unfortunately, I am the only one with the passion for genealogy.

Thanks

Judi
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

There are various kinds of records:
- In offices of the Commune you will find births, marriages and deaths ("Stato Civile" records). In Southern Italy, these are generaly from about 1809 onwards. Communes also hold "Stato di famiglia", but I think these are only from 1930 (but I'm not sure).
In Communes like Scafati I would exclude that they let you look through them yourself.
In Atrani, who knows? I understand they are generally afraid you can do some damage to their old registers. Moreover, if you can't read Italian, it would be hard to read their "ancient" writing.
- Churches (but only "parrocchie") keep baptism, marriage and death (burial) records. As in 1800's people were all Catholic, you generally find the same info as in Town records, but you can go back even to 1600's. The difficulty is that it takes time, the priest does not have time, an is not obliged to do it, while Town officers HAVE TO...it may take fot them a lot of time, but they have to, if you write a request.

I suppose in Atrani there's only one "parrocchia". In Scafati there may be more.
Did you try writing an e-mail?

PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

@ lilbees:
Yes, I remember your request about Cecilia Calabrese and some more.
I'm not going there so soon, but I hope I will within this year.
can I help you about something more?

lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Thanks for replying. Will send you a private message with what I am looking for. Possibly you can help.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
jgold1213

Post by jgold1213 »

Yes, I tried an email before the letters. I gave my email again in the letters in case I had something wrong in their email addresses. I wanted to give them some time and I think that I will follow up with an email again.

Thank you for the insight that you gave.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

My experience with this area is that clerks are not used to e-mailing, even if we are in the 3rd millennium...you can hope in an exception!
Do you know Atrani, or have you ever seen it in pictures?