Jure sanguinis question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
feliciev

Jure sanguinis question

Post by feliciev »

Hi all,
I have read many of your posts but did not see one that would address my situation. My father (and through him my mother) applied for their Italian citizenship via jure sanguinis and it was granted about 2 years ago. About 6 months ago they applied for their passports. On both forms, for citizenship and passports, they listed their children, (myself included).
Now I would like to apply for citizenship along with my wife and children. I have all of the documents which they originally submitted as well as birth certificates for my family. My question is....do I need to resubmit all of the documents my father submitted in addition to my own family's documents? Or is there another form that will allow me to only reference my parents who already have citizenship via jure sanguinis?

Thanks so much for your help!!!
Joel
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Jure sanguinis question

Post by suanj »

I believe you must submit just and only the documents abt your wife and your children, because your wife acquiring italian citizenship by you and ditto for your children ... however if you contact the italian consulate in USA, you will have all infos abt that ...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Which consulate processed your parents' application?

Which consulate jurisdiction do you, your wife, and children live in?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
feliciev

Post by feliciev »

Thanks for your responses. We live in Dallas so it would be the Houston consulate. I did send them an email about a year ago. This is the exchange we had so I am still confused:
"Hello,
I am in the process of preparing the needed documentation for qualification for Italian Citizenship. My Father and Mother just received their Italian Citizenship papers through “jure sanguinis.” My father told me today that he had already filed my birth certificate with his application.

I would like to know what information I should submit in order to include my wife and 3 children (and possibly me if mine was not completed on my parents’ application) in order to gain our Italian citizenship."

I RECEIVED THIS RESPONSE:
"We send you enclosed the instructions about the document that must be produced to obtain the Italian citizenship.
Best regards
Daniele Ansaldo
Vice Commissario Amm.vo Consolare e Sociale"

I RESPONDED:
"So do I need to re-submit all of the SAME documentation again that my parents already submitted?"

THEY RESPONDED:
"Where your parents have the Italian citizenship recognized?"

I RESPONDED:
"The American immigrant who was my great-grandfather, was born in Campofilone."

Then I never received another response and the whole project was shoved into my drawer until I could investigate further! ;-)
feliciev

Post by feliciev »

Oops, I'm sorry, I forgot to answer your last question. My parents also live in Dallas so their application was processed through the Houston consulate.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

My own citizenship was recognized by the New York City consulate in mid-2008. I applied through my Italy-born grandfather and my father (both deceased).

At the time I applied, I inquired about my son who was then 22 years old. I was told that he would have to submit his own application after mine was approved.

About 14 months after my own citizenship was recognized, I sat down to get documents together for my son who was by now 23. I had read some tantalizing info and decided to take an easy route, just to see what would happen: I followed the "HOW TO REGISTER A CERTIFICATE OF BIRTH/MARRIAGE/DEATH" instructions on this page http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consol ... to_civile/, supplied the form plus my son's translated & apostilled birth certificate and a copy of the inside pages of my Italian passport. A week later a letter was received in my son's name stating that his citizenship had been recognized, he was registered in the NYC consulate's AIRE database, and he could apply for his Italian passport at any time.

Since then I have read that several consulates permit this method of delayed registration of birth. I can't say whether Houston is one, but it certainly seems worth a try; the worst that can happen is that they will send the documents back and tell you to do it the hard way. Here is the relevant Houston consulate web page: http://www.consmiami.esteri.it/Consolat ... ascita.htm

Try registering your own birth first (actually, have your father do this for you). If that is accepted, you can follow up by registering your marriage and your children's births.

When did you and your wife marry? If prior to April 27, 1983, then she automatically gained Italian citizenship on the date of your marriage. If on/after that date, she will need to file for citizenship jure matrimonio, a complicated, time consuming process.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
feliciev

Post by feliciev »

Great!! Thank you SO much!! I will have my Dad submit mine as you did your son's. Hopefully that will work.

My wife and I were married in 2000. So it looks like that will be a separate process.

Thanks again!
Joel
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

feliciev wrote:Great!! Thank you SO much!! I will have my Dad submit mine as you did your son's. Hopefully that will work.

My wife and I were married in 2000. So it looks like that will be a separate process.

Thanks again!
Joel
Please be sure to come back and let us know how you made out.
Carmine

feliciev

Post by feliciev »

I will certainly post a response once I get through this tangled web!!

But I just realized that I have one more question. My father gave me all of the documents that were returned to him once his citizenship application was complete and approved. I have all of the birth certificates he submitted, including my own, but they did not return any of the apostilles or Italian translations of those documents. Does that mean that I need to send in another form to get another apostille and another translation for my birth certificate? Or would it be sufficient to send in the form, a copy of his passport, and my birth certificate (which is the same one he submitted for his application)?
Thanks a million!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I am amazed that anything was returned to him at all; this is the first time I have heard of a consulate doing this.

In my mind, there is the very slight possibility that the consulate already registered you in their AIRE database. I suggest you send an email to anagrafe.houston@esteri.it giving your full name, date of birth, your father's full name, and your mother's full maiden name, and simply ask them to check to see if you are registered. If you are, then all you need to do is to apply for your Italian passport.

If not, I suggest you go ahead and get the new apostille and translation of your birth certificate, as it certainly will not be accepted otherwise.
Carmine