Citizenship via parent with de jure sanguinis citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
846newyorker
Rookie
Rookie

Citizenship via parent with de jure sanguinis citizenship

Post by 846newyorker »

Here's another simple question; I would appreciate any help!

If a parent has just successfully gone through the process of getting dual citizenship via jure sanguinis, would their children then be eligible for dual citizenship solely by virtue of the fact that their parents were now -- newly -- considered Italian citizens?

Someone mentioned that once you get dual citizenship de jure sanguinis, you receive a birth certificate from the commune of your ancestor's birth. Is this true? If so, it seems like I would be eligible if my mother or father successfully completes this process?

Thank you!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Citizenship via parent with de jure sanguinis citizenshi

Post by johnnyonthespot »

If your mother's citizenship is recognized jure sanguinis, that means that it is determined that she was born an Italian citizen and had/has all the rights of every other Italian citizen from the moment of her birth. This includes the ability to pass her citizenship to any children born to her after January 1, 1948.

How your own citizenship might be recognized varies depending upon the consulate. If for example both you and your mother are within the jurisdiction of the New York City consulate, then most likely all your mother needs to do after her own citizenship is recognized is to file a registration of birth for you, no matter what your current age. This is exactly how my then 23 year-old son gained his citizenship - I followed the instructions at "REQUIREMENTS FOR REGISTRATION OF VITAL RECORDS IN ITALY" http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consol ... to_civile/, completed the form and mailed it with my son's certified/translated/apostilled birth certificate and a copy of my Italian passport. A week later my son received his letter of recognition was told to apply for his passport when convenient.

If your consulate does not permit this form of delayed birth registration, you will have to file your own jure sanguinis application, just as your mother did. However your case will be much simpler as you will only need to go back a single generation, to your mother (or father).

Your mother may or may not receive a birth certificate or other acknowledgement from her ancestral comune; some send these out automatically, most others it semms do not do so. However she can request one if she wants it; best to wait at least a few months after being recognized by the consulate, and then send a letter like this one to the comune: http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/t ... ml#p163369

PS: The 1948 date above applies only to a females ability to pass Italian citizenship to her children. If both of your parents are seeking recognition individually and your father's is granted, then the 1948 cutoff is not an issue.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
846newyorker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 846newyorker »

Thanks very much for this help.

Also, as for the expedited 3-year naturalization you also mentioned, can I assume you'd have to go through the normal visa channels and find a way to live there on your own? That is to say, there's no simplified way of actually getting the visa to allow you to live there legally for three years in the first place?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

In fact, it is not a very easy task to accomplish. You would need a work visa (very difficult if not impossible to obtain) or an elective residency visa for which you have to show very substantial assets and would not be permitted to take employment of any kind while in Italy.

This was recently discussed in some detail in this thread: http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic22245.html
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
LauraNonCe

Post by LauraNonCe »

I was JUST about to post this lol!

Same here. My mother is getting her citizenship via jure sanguinis through her father (my grandfather). I don't know if I have to simply apply for one through my mother or if I'm going to have to go through the whole jure sanguinis process. I'll look in this thread for a response
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

LauraNonCe wrote:I'll look in this thread for a response
Answered in your other thread, http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/t ... ml#p164173
Carmine